RN Flotilla Formations

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
greendragon

RN Flotilla Formations

Unread post by greendragon »

I will start my return with a question about HM formation of ships (destroyers) on sea.
I have found in a Polish action report that the destroyers of a flotilla were moving (combing) the sea in "diagonal formation".
"Diagonal" is direct translation ofexactly the same Polish word but I am not sure is it a right word in HMN naval language.
Could have been "angled line abreast"?
Whatever, please give me proper word/wording.

Regards,

gd
Little h

Re: RN Flotilla Formations

Unread post by Little h »

Welcome back GD;

The expression starting with "Form Echelon ...." comes to mind, however the following document might give you a lead to the correct terminology for said formation:-

ATP-01, VOLUME II
ALLIED MARITIME TACTICAL
SIGNAL AND
MANEUVERING BOOK
Edition (G) Version (1)
JANUARY 2016

The PDF can be sourced via Google

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

or even HNSA (Historical Naval Ships Association) NAVAL TACTICS.-Vol. II.See:-

THE LINE A-BREAST

IS formed when the ships sides are all parallel to each other, on a line which crosses their keels at right angles. This line is most commonly used with the wind right aft, so that the line forms a perpendicular with the direction of the wind.

THE BOW-AND-QUARTER LINE

IS formed by ships being ranged on the bow and quarter of each other. This will always be the case, when the whole fleet, being in order of battle, have either tacked or borne away together. In Tactics, pl. I. fig. 1. the ships on the W N W line are in bow-and-quarter line; for it is evident that, upon re-tacking, they would form in order of battle: and those which are bearing away on the E N E line are likewise in bow-and-quarter line, and would equally form in order of battle, upon hauling their wind.
tactics01.jpg

https://www.hnsa.org/manuals-documents/ ... cs-vol-ii/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Little h
greendragon

Re: RN Flotilla Formations

Unread post by greendragon »

Thank's Little h for your quick response.
Form echelon sounds better for my purpose but this "bow and quarter" as taken from a historical volume and the whole knowledge about thecomplexity of Fleet manouvers is excellent.

Regards,

gd
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”