Corvettes: Flower Class

Add your posts about the Canadian Navy in this section
TerraNova

Re: Corvettes: Flower Class

Unread post by TerraNova »

Ivor: I have the HMCS Snowberry kit which will start construction this coming spring (I hope). It may be built as HMCS Moose Jaw as I had an uncle who was rescued by her when the SS Stargard (Norwegian freighter) sunk when in convoy SC42 off Greenland. He was picked up by Moose Jaw along with all but 3 of the crew who did not survive. Some research is required if Snowberry is to transition to Moose Jaw.

Brian
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Hi Brian .

I built Snowberry about 20 years ago and ran her until about three years ago until she was ready for the Knackers Yard ,,,,, she always look good on the
water and manouvred on a postage stamp . Breaking her was a mammoth task - I hadn't realised I built her so strong . I know many which came to grief for not using a lot of extra cladding [car body filler fibreglass matting] and epoxy on the keel line and the midship sections . Only precaution needed there is to make sure the hull is in water when applied otherwise it melts the plastic with the heat generated during curing]

Hope this ain't taaching Granma to suck eggs , if yes then apologies in advance.

I ramble on but when you start building I am sure Ivor and myself will be on hand should any problems cause concern .

Dave H
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Amen to that Dave , but two points I would make please Brian

1/If you wish to be assisted you might like to ask Jim the mod to transfer these posts to the modelling Forum section

2/ Please take loads of pictures and post them on the" Forum modelling section site" so that we are better able to understand any issues you may encounter and help you better which as I said we are both more than willing to do Brian
[ in the mean time we will rummage around in our city boxes for any bits which might prove useful to you . ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

in the mean time we will rummage around in our city boxes for any bits which might prove useful to you . ;)

Like that bit quoted Ivor ............ I'll find the bits [whatever they are] , you pay the flight and I will deliver to Halifax NOVA SCOTIA :D :D :D :roll:
ivorthediver

opps , well you never know your luck Dave :oops:
TerraNova

Unread post by TerraNova »

With respect to the idea of a huge new Maritime Museum facility in Halifax that would house HMCS Sackville and a PBY Canso flying boat, I cannot see the financial and political support for this idea at present. By getting Sackville refitted, the Sackville Trust attained a major achievement and has bought time to reconsider the scope of their visionary project. We shall see what comes out of their further thinking and efforts.
Brian
ivorthediver

We can only wish you luck with the project Brian , but keep us posted on any developments please
Annapolis265

Unread post by Annapolis265 »

Thanks for the suggestions and wise advice. I will build this Snowberry as a stationary model. If this goes well, and I have no reason to think it will not, as long as I proceed methodically!
Cheers,
Brian
Annapolis 265/Terra Nova
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Goodluck with the build Brian ...... here my late Snowberry .
img004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Dry dock or low tide Dave ...........fine example mate .. ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Canadian Navy”