Destroyers: Arleigh Burke Class

Add your posts about the US Navy in this section
designeraccd

Re: Destroyers: Arleigh Burke Class

Unread post by designeraccd »

The now "famous" Flt I, FITZGERALD, firing a Harpoon in 2015, and in 2019. :o

Note the hull behind her, in the yard. DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Ultra awarded sonar transducers contract

Ultra Electronics has been awarded a $46.7m contract for TR-343 Sonar Transducers shipsets for new construction of Arleigh Burke class destroyers.

Ultra Electronics is a British company serving the defence, security, transport and energy industries. Ultra Electronics Ocean Systems is a US subsidiary.

The TR-343 transducer is part of the AN/SQS-53 hull mounted sonar array assembly which is a component of AN/SQQ-89(V) acoustic sonar weapons system. According to Ultra:

“The AN/SQQ-89(V) is a fully integrated surface ship undersea warfare combat system with the capability to search, detect, classify, localise, and attack submarine targets.”

The firm say that contract will provide fabrication, assembly, inspection, test and delivery of TR-343 sonar transducer shipsets.

“Work will be performed in Braintree, Massachusetts, and is expected to be complete by March 2024. Fiscal 2018 shipbuilding and funding in the amount of $2,980,000 will be obligated at time of award and will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year.”

Rochelle Borden, President of Ultra Electronics Ocean Systems, commented:

“We are delighted to be selected for the TR-343 Sonar Transducer shipset program. As a leading supplier of transducers to the US Navy for the past 50 years, we understand how vital the TR-343 program is to our US Navy surface ship’s anti-submarine warfare system and meeting the needs of future ship builds.

Ultra looks forward to working with the NSWC (Naval Surface Warfare Center) to deliver essential hardware for this critical defense program.”

From - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/ultra-a ... roa5OeBxRE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Onward and upward eh David , watch this space I hope ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Arleigh Burke Class Guided Missile Destroyer USS Daniel Inouye pictured at Bath Iron Works, July 27th 2019, with Zumwalt Class Destroyer USS Lyndon B Johnson in the lower-right background.
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

The very first of the class, the Flight I ARLEIGH BURKE herself in a fine beam view...... :D DFO
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

NavyLookout Retweeted
Tom Sharpe
‏ @pwo134
7h7 hours ago

Two years on from the USS McCain collision in which 10 sailors died. Unnecessarily complex kit (deep cause), insufficient user knowledge (intermediate) and poor execution/fatigue (precipitating). Leadership failings at all three levels.

---------------------------------------

August 14, 2019 | Mark Paradies
The Blame Root Cause

Collision between US Navy Destroyer John S. McCain and tanker Alnic MC
Singapore Strait, 5 miles Northeast of Horsburgh Lighthouse
August 21, 2017

Marine Accident Report
NTSB/MAR-19/1
PB2019 100970

Blame?
NTSB Accident Report on
USS John S. McCain Collision

Recently, the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) published a marine accident report about the root causes of the collision of the USS John S. McCain and the Liberian flagged Alnic MC. The collision occurred on August 21, 2017.

As with any NTSB report, there was thorough evidence collection and a lot of information. But in this article, I want to focus on the Human Factors issue that the report highlights. We mentioned this issue in a previous blog article:

Human Factors Issue in USS John S McCain Crash Not Specifically Identified in Navy Report (Nov 2017)

Next, we will discuss other potential root causes (including blame) and the Navy’s response (lessons learned).

Continue reading by opening this link to TapRoot Root Cause Analysis
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Thank you Harry - well followed up.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

begs the question that why was this contradiction not fully anticipated in their quest to update , think tanks / brain storming / what if/ scenarios were once common practice ......or is that another economy encouraged to save bucks [ which in the final analysis ends up costing thousands of more dollars than it saves ......not forgetting the lost crews .......progress I'm all for .....but not at any cost me thinks ......but we can all be smart after the event I agree , but this research seems to have been totally bypassed from where I sit .......what do you think Harry ?

I recall all the you tube "Experts" blaming Chinese electrical interference being banded about and all the hot heads claiming that they had inside information straight from a leaked source which stated the crew were mesmerised and fed duff gen and could not be caused by state of the Art American engineering practice .........well that was obviously aloud of Bull eh .........well presented Harry thanks for your hard work and sharing it with us all .......
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

ivorthediver wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:09 pm begs the question that why was this contradiction not fully anticipated in their quest to update , think tanks / brain storming / what if/ scenarios were once common practice ......or is that another economy encouraged to save bucks [ which in the final analysis ends up costing thousands of more dollars than it saves ......not forgetting the lost crews .......progress I'm all for .....but not at any cost me thinks ......but we can all be smart after the event I agree , but this research seems to have been totally bypassed from where I sit .......what do you think Harry ?

I recall all the you tube "Experts" blaming Chinese electrical interference being banded about and all the hot heads claiming that they had inside information straight from a leaked source which stated the crew were mesmerised and fed duff gen and could not be caused by state of the Art American engineering practice .........well that was obviously aloud of Bull eh .........well presented Harry thanks for your hard work and sharing it with us all .......
Well Ivor it's simplicity itself as far as I'm concerned .... a touch screen will have an input/enter/execute/activate button of some sort; and putting a touch screen on a moving platform is asking for trouble IMO.

Such platforms are subject to sudden movements, any number of which might need a crew member to steady himself/herself ... and a button on a touch screen might accidently get 'touched' to input/enter/execute/activate some function or other. Nope not a good idea in my book.
Little h
ivorthediver

Yes I take your point Harry , [having never been on a bridge control situation] I can only imagine the stability issues in transit .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “United States Navy”