Destroyers: Arleigh Burke Class

Add your posts about the US Navy in this section
Brian James

Destroyers: Arleigh Burke Class

Unread post by Brian James »

Arleigh Burke Class Guided Missile Destroyer USS Dewey pictured from USS Carl Vinson,Pacific Ocean,October 11th 2018.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Re: Destroyers: Arleigh Burke Class

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Nice shot there Brian .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
DonBoyer

Unread post by DonBoyer »

My personal favorite of the Arliegh BURKE class is the USS Richard H. O'Kane, named for the MOH recipient and commanding officer of the USS Tang in WW II. After Admiral O'Kane's death, I worked with his wife Ernestine and many sub veterans to get a Burke class named for him, and the secretary of the navy was most obliging. The O'Kane is home-ported here in Pearl Harbor and every time I see her, I am sad and proud at the same time.

USS RICHARD H. O'KANE DDG-77.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don G. Boyer

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled."(Richard Feynman)
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

They are (not counting the 9-10 carriers) the back bone of USN surface fleet. Given the damage suffered by 2 from ramming and COLE from a suicide boat they do seem to be able to survive, but still...mission killed. :( DFO
ivorthediver

Yes I had forgotten the Fitzgerald Dennis, I assume she's back and running again following successful repairs being completed . :P

They have always looked a capable vessel to me , and well liked by her crews I understand 8-)
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Projectile from USS Mustin captured leaving the barrel of her 5” Mk 45 gun, 2015.
ivorthediver

Well done Brian , we like "Action " Shots here :D
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

USS FITZGERALD - A DISGRACEFUL MESS
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-nav ... Socialflow

P.S.
Members may be interested in the following:

After working alongside the Royal Navy, most American surface warriors walk away immensely impressed by the impeccable professionalism of their British counterparts. When SWO’s talk about improving their community, the Royal Navy’s practices inevitably come up. “We should do it like the Brits,” is a common theme.
Continues at - http://cimsec.org/virtue-generalist-par ... rass/11907

Final paragraph of 3rd article:
I want Surface Warfare Officers to push ourselves “right to the edge of the envelope.” I want us to be proud of our community. I want our Surface Warfare Officer pin to mean something – to the military, to the service, and most important of all, to us. I want us to be professional watch standers and experts in our respective jobs. The Surface Warfare Officer community is known for being the dumping ground of Unrestricted Line Officers who could not hack it, and this happens because we do not establish, much less uphold, standards. No more! We should honor our heritage, establish a role in our force that is both respected and admired, and strictly and unabashedly police ourselves as consummate professionals who accept nothing less than the best of the best.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Pelican wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:54 pm P.S.

After working alongside the Royal Navy, most American surface warriors walk away immensely impressed by the impeccable professionalism of their British counterparts. When SWO’s talk about improving their community, the Royal Navy’s practices inevitably come up. “We should do it like the Brits,” is a common theme.

I want Surface Warfare Officers to push ourselves “right to the edge of the envelope.” I want us to be proud of our community. I want our Surface Warfare Officer pin to mean something – to the military, to the service, and most important of all, to us. I want us to be professional watch standers and experts in our respective jobs. The Surface Warfare Officer community is known for being the dumping ground of Unrestricted Line Officers who could not hack it, and this happens because we do not establish, much less uphold, standards. No more! We should honor our heritage, establish a role in our force that is both respected and admired, and strictly and unabashedly police ourselves as consummate professionals who accept nothing less than the best of the best.

David, all three of those CIMSEC articles make for very interesting reading ... but, I think they should be found a home in a general USN thread. Simply becaure the content is about the Surface Warfare Officer in the US Navy overall; and not specific to the Arleigh Burke Class of DDG

Just my opinion however.
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Little h wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:52 pm
Pelican wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:54 pm P.S.

David, all three of those CIMSEC articles make for very interesting reading ... but, I think they should be found a home in a general USN thread. Simply becaure the content is about the Surface Warfare Officer in the US Navy overall; and not specific to the Arleigh Burke Class of DDG

Just my opinion however.
Quite agree Harry but I rarely venture into the USN area so perhaps Jim can move it please?
Last edited by Pelican on Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “United States Navy”