Destroyers: Arleigh Burke Class

Add your posts about the US Navy in this section
Brian James

Re: Destroyers: Arleigh Burke Class

Unread post by Brian James »

Naval historians note....Arleigh Burke Class Guided Missile Destroyer USS John Paul Jones pictured flying the Serapis Flag at Pearl Harbor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

First Images Of SPY-6 Radar Installed On New Flight III Arleigh Burke Destroyer

The AN/SPY-6(V)1 radar is a key feature of the new Flight III Arleigh Burkes that makes them far more capable than their predecessors.

See - https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/f ... 7lsPe4yoEs
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Keel Authenticated for 4th Arleigh Burke-class Flight III destroyer

The keel for the future USS Jeremiah Denton (DDG 129), a Flight III Arleigh-Burke class destroyer was ceremonially laid at Huntington Ingalls Industries (HII) Ingalls Shipbuilding division, August 16th.

NAVSEA press release
The ship is named for former Senator Jeremiah Denton, Jr., a Vietnam War veteran who was awarded the Navy Cross for his heroism as a prisoner of war. Following his Navy career, he was elected to the U.S. Senate representing his home state of Alabama in 1980.
The contemporary keel laying ceremony represents the joining together of a ship’s modular components at the land level. The keel is authenticated with the ship sponsors’ initials etched into a ceremonial keel plate as part of the ceremony. Co-sponsors of DDG 129 are the daughters of the namesake, Madeline Denton Doak and Mary Denton Lewis.

See - https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... r-ddg-129/

Link from Tim.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

U.S. Navy Selects BAE Systems To Modernize USS Ross

BAE Systems has received a $107.7 million contract from the U.S. Navy to modernize the guided-missile destroyer USS Ross (DDG 71).

Under this extended dry-docking selected restricted availability (EDSRA) contract, the company will perform the modernization work at its Norfolk, Virginia shipyard. The contract includes options that, if exercised, would bring the cumulative value to $123.8 million.

During the EDSRA, BAE Systems will dry-dock USS Ross to perform maintenance on the underwater hull, repair the ship’s main propulsion system, preserve internal ballast and fuel tanks and external superstructure, and rehabilitate crew berthing and dining compartments. The modernization project is scheduled to take more than 500 days and be completed in April 2024. Once complete, the ship will be capable of serving in the fleet for another 10 years. The 16-year old ship recently completed a seven-year operational period in Rota, Spain as a forward-deployed U.S. Navy combatant.

“This is an important job for our employees, subcontractors, and the Navy to accomplish. We look forward to meeting the long-term maintenance goals for USS Ross to sustain the future capability and readiness of the ship.”
Mike Bruneau, VP and General Manager of BAE Systems Norfolk Ship Repair

The USS Ross was commissioned in June 1997. The ship is named after the first Medal of Honor recipient of World War II, Donald K. Ross. While serving aboard the battleship USS Nevada (BB 36) during the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, Ross valiantly helped the badly-damaged ship get underway during the attack. USS Ross is part of the Arleigh Burke class of destroyers.

BAE Systems is a leading provider of ship repair, maintenance, modernization, conversion, and overhaul services for the Navy, other government agencies, and select commercial customers. The company operates three full-service shipyards in California, Florida, and Virginia, and offers a highly-skilled, experienced workforce and talented program managers, seven dry-docks and railways, and significant pier space and ship support services. The company’s Norfolk shipyard has over 1,100 employees, and works with the Navy and several subcontractor companies to
accomplish its ship sustainment work.

Source - https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... -uss-ross/
Link from Tim.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy wants new destroyer with lasers, hypersonic missiles

The Navy is getting ready to turn the chapter on its workhorse destroyer, the Arleigh Burke, which went into production more than 30 years ago

See - https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireS ... s-89453598

Link from Tim.
Brian James

Lead Ship, Guided Missile Destroyer USS Arleigh Burke pictured as she arrives at Faslane, September 16th, 2022.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Arleigh Burke Class Guided Missile Destroyer USS Nitze pictured as she approaches Carrier USS George H.W. Bush, January 12th, Adriatic Sea, 2023.
Brian James

USS John Paul Jones undergoing a docking selected restricted availability (DSRA) at Vigor Shipyard, Seattle, Washington January 26th, 2023.
Brian James

Arleigh Burke Class Flight IIA Guided Missile Destroyer USS John Finn pictured as she arrives at Yokosuka on March 31st 2023.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

US Navy Receives First Flight III Arleigh Burke Destroyer

HII has delivered the first Flight III Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer, the USS Jack H. Lucas (DDG 125), to the US Navy.

The vessel was constructed with several modifications to enhance its capability compared to the navy’s previous guided-missile ships.

Flight III technologies focus on offensive and defensive weapon systems and improved maritime warfare support to match advanced threats.

Among the upgrades the Flight III configuration features are the AN/SPY-6(V)1 Air and Missile Defense Radar next-generation radar and the Aegis Baseline 10 Combat System.

Continues at - https://www.thedefensepost.com/2023/06/ ... light-iii/ - LFT
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “United States Navy”