RN Destroyers: C Class 1943

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
jbryce1437

RN Destroyers: C Class 1943

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

This C Class of destoyers were launched between 1943 and 1945 and were ordered as part of the War Emergency Programme. A total of 32 ships were built as four flotillas of eight ships per flotilla, split into the "Ca", "Ch", "Co" and "Cr" groups or sub-classes, and ordered as the 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th Emergency Flotillas respectively.
The 1tth Flotilla comprised HMS Caprice, HMS Cassandra, HMS Caesar, HMS Cavendish, HMS Cambrian, HMS Carron, HMS Cavalier and HMS Carysfort.
The 12th Flotilla comprised HMS Chaplet, HMS Charity, HMS Chequers, HMS Cheiftain, HMS Chevron, HMS Cheviot, HMS Childers and HMS Chivalrous.
The 13th Flotilla comprised HMS Comus, HMS Concord, HMS Contest, HMS Consort, HMS Cockade, HMS Comet, HMS Constance and HMS Cossack.
The 14th Flotilla comprised HMS Crescent, HMS Crusader, HMS Croziers, HMS Crystal, HMS Crispin, HMS Creole, HMS Cromwell and HMS Crown.
All of the ships built for the 14th Flotilla were commissioned into other navies, Canada getting Crescent and Crusader, Pakistan getting Crispin and Creole and Norway getting the other four.
Post war, the "Ca" Flotilla were modernised in the 1950's and 60's, whilst the others were less extensively modernised.
Most were scrapped in the 1960's and 70's, but HMS Cavalier survives as a Museum Ship at Chatham Historic Dockyard:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatham_Historic_Dockyard

C Class Destroyers in the post war 6th Destroyer Flotilla
6th DF C Class 1957[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Re: Royal Navy Destroyers: C Class 1943

Unread post by Pelican »

A very good book on the C class is:
C CLASS DESTROYERS by Harold Cox 1994 ISBN No. 0 9523332 0 1
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

We joined the Navy to see the "Cs"...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timlewin

few more from the C archive...
timlewin

about all I have...
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well done Tim and thanks for letting us share these again , always welcome and feels fresher and more relaxing than the last display cabinet were used to .

We are all chuffed to bits with the new Forum which in time will beat the old one by a long chalk ....I'm sure I echo all the old school on here . :D
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

CHEQUERS & CAVALIER
The photo is of 1 Mess, the Comms Mess, in Chequers 1951. The micks are stowed horizontal because the netting was not big enough for normal vertical stowing. Being leader there were more of us than the mess was designed for.
The following links lead to photos of Cavalier now in Chatham dockyard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVaG3jb37tg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoLt4iB9rEo
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
timlewin

Re: RN Destroyers: C Class 1943

A couple here that I am sure Pelican sent me, the dry dock ones. A couple of matelots in sarongs, which I still like to wear in summer, and one of TTL back in the day.
timlewin

forgot to add that during that commission in Chequers Prince Philip was #1 and the Queen came to visit Malta, she presented new colours as you seen in the snap, on the old parade ground. Here is the only other I have. TTL is standing ramrod stiff in the back of the group, sword in hand.
timlewin

the picture of Chevron entering Monte Carlo is interesting as in the background is the yacht belonging to Onassis (??) which I believe was converted from a RN frigate (river, loch, bay?) someone will know for sure!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”