Today's Italian Navy

Add your posts about the Italian Navy in this section
Little h

Re: Today's Italian Navy

Unread post by Little h »

designeraccd wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:40 pm I've read the same about that bow shape; I'm totally missing WHY it is purportedly better than a conventional bow shape......??? :? DFO
Just found this on Twitter this evening.

Naval Analyses
@D__Mitch

The first PPA, Pattugliatore Polivalente d'Altura (Offshore Multipurpose Patrol Ship) for the #ItalianNavy, under construction. Look at that bow! 🇮🇹
8:47 AM - 1 Dec 2018

read on to find an answer:-

Naval Analyses
@D__Mitch
Replying to @naval_gazing @niklas_granholm and

This simply extends the length of the vessel at the waterline, improving wave resistance without increasing the dimensions of the ship," the source said. "The system should add almost a knot to speeds."
3:22 AM - 2 Dec 2018
Little h
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

DaveH wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:20 pm Couldn't agree more Dave [Pelican] , even more so now today's revelations hint that the Chinese are going to build parts of the F35 control system , what planet are our politicos on I wonder .

Interesting design Dennis - Looks like they started off with one Hull and then changed the design building the rest on top . Or was there a crease in the drawings :o
Dave can you give us a link or copy of 'today's revelations' re F35 control system? Can well understand the Chinese developing their own similar system - as ever, for everyone its a game of catchup. Perhaps this should be continued on the F35B thread. Jim has the patience of a saint but we are a bit old for Jankers!
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Very interesting, re the bow shape. Thanks!! Here is a very good view while she was still out of the water. ;) DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Launch of the revolutionary designed 6,200 ton Italian PPA, ITS Paolo Thao di Revel at La Spezia,June 15th 2019,she will be commissioned in May 2021.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
designeraccd

I guess we know she was launched! See page 5......... ;) DFO
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Italian PPA, ITS Paolo Thao di Revel

I contacted a well known American naval architect and asked him for his comments/opinion of the 'double bow' - "Would you please give a brief summary of what the purpose and theory of a 'vertically stacked twin wedged bow' is?"
He has now come back with:
"This is a very interesting design. The Italians have come up with (or borrowed) an innovative version of the "wave-piercing" bow. The idea is to maximize the waterline length while keeping the waterline very fine, designed not to lift to a wave, but to slice through it. The design is based on a similar bow design used on high-speed ferries. The US Navy's Zumwalt also uses a wave piercing design but without the "stacked hull" above the waterline to provide additional reserve buoyancy to resist pitching. Of the two, the Italian design looks more seaworthy to me."

I would be interested to know the results of the sea trials and see copies of performance reports etc.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Brian James

Todaro Class Submarine at La Spezia,June 11th 2019.
designeraccd

Another photo which clearly shows the new bow shape on PPA #1........ ;) DFO
Brian James

Italian navy Logistic Support Ship ITS Vulcano pictured fitting out at Muggiano Shipyard,La Spezia in 2019.
designeraccd

TRIESTE is fitting out; note ski-jump above bow area being completed. :) DFO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Italian Navy”