HMS Raleigh

Use this section for UK Naval Shore Bases and Naval Air Stations
jbryce1437

HMS Raleigh

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

HMS Raleigh was commissioned on 9th January 1940 as a shore training base for Ordinary Seamen.
On 28th April 1941 a German bomb hit an air raid shelter on the base and killed 44 seamen and 21 Royal Engineers who were sheltering inside it.
In 1944 she served as the D Day embarkation centre for United States Navy forces and it was transferred back to the Royal Navy in July 1944 to continue with the training of seamen.
In the early 1950's it became the a New Entry training establishment for Engineering Ratings and Stokers undertook their Part 1 and Part 2 training there, then from 1959 it became a New Entrant training establishment for all branches where Part 1 training was underrtaking. Stores and Supply, Electrical and Fleet Air Arm ratings then undertook their Part 2 training elsewhere.
Modernisation of the base was undertaken in the 1970's and 1980's and it became the sole New Entry training establishment for the Royal Navy, incorporating the training of WRNS, Artificer Apprentices and Stores and Supply Ratings, who had been trained at Dauntless, Fisguard and Pembroke respectively.
You can find more about the history of HMS Raleigh here:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-organi ... ms-raleigh

An early view of the main gate at HMS Raleigh
RALEIGH-Main-gate-b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
oldsalt

Re: HMS Raleigh

Unread post by oldsalt »

I had the "pleasure" of serving at Raleigh twice. After initial training at Royal Arthur, Oct.49, went to Raleigh to complete training as a Stoker. In 67 to 69 as a Engineer Sub Lieutenant I was Divisional Officer of Jellicoe Division, still wooden huts. It's all a distant memory now. May I make a request if any member of this forum who trained at Raleigh in Jellicoe Division has a photo of a passing out guard in which I appear, I would really welcome a copy, all my photos of this kind were lost in a divorce .
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Just to remind anyone at Raleigh when I was, a photo of me & some of Jellicoe Division.
Raleigh April 1968-002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James b

Unread post by James b »

This our passing out parade 1966 around March or April ..
Raleigh..Cambridge..St Vincent ..CHICHESTER.Bellerophon {H.M.S BELFAST} ..Excellent .Pembroke...MOHAWK ..SCYLLA
R.N.H Stonehouse ..Rooke.[ARLINGHAM]...Drake..
Discharged 1st Dec 75
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

I can still hear the order "Anson, Benbow and Collingwood Divisions, left incline" to face the mast for the Colours Ceremony each morning at Divisions.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
James b

Unread post by James b »

I just wonder how many guys felt the same ..... starting your time in pusser .

As we arrived at Plymouth, I could not see any matlows about on the station, so I went outside and there was a motley crew that was standing around, all chatting away. I made myself known, when this 5 tonner rolled around the corner.
Dropping the tail gate … “right all of you, get in the back, and hold tight” a voice demanded with some urgency. We were transported straight to the Torpoint ferry and the next time we saw tarmac was at the gate way to H.M.S Raleigh.
H.M.S Raleigh

Jumping out and we were sent along to the galley for some scan, supper time had been and gone , but the duty chef brought out some scan ,picking up a metal tray, we tucked in, and that was the very first time I had eaten off a metal mess trap. The tea tasted a bit odd, must have been the Bromide that was in it.
After getting topped up, we were shown to the NEW entries block. It was like entering a prison camp hut, made of wood, there was a passage way down the centre, with double bunks on both side, and the floor was so highly polished you could see your face in it. I claimed a bottom bunk, as I didn’t fancy being too far up near the roof, as I never had experienced sleeping in a bunk bed before.
Raleigh..Cambridge..St Vincent ..CHICHESTER.Bellerophon {H.M.S BELFAST} ..Excellent .Pembroke...MOHAWK ..SCYLLA
R.N.H Stonehouse ..Rooke.[ARLINGHAM]...Drake..
Discharged 1st Dec 75
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

On Friday the 28th Sept. I witnessed the passing out parade. I was at Raleigh with many others who had been to Raleigh. I went, I must say, thinking it can't be as good as it used to be. I have to admit that there may have been fewer on the parade ground but they were very good. The young men I spoke to were very impressive. Raleigh has been modernised & is greatly improved. The parade ground drill was perfect. The passing out classes did rifle drill, like the RAF regiment, no given orders, brilliant. The young man I spoke to didn't know what "clacker" was , why should he.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Quite Right Keith , must have been quite an emotional day for you to , as for "Clacker" hope he didn't speak Jackspeak or the least he would have shown was a wide Grin I suspect eh
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Clacker, a pastry awning for a straight rush!
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Hmmmmm ......the one I know is most often used by AB's for shore leave time or married quarters , but I could be wrong :roll:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “UK Naval Bases Past and Present - Royal Navy”