Greek Navy

Add your posts about Other Navies, not already listed, here
Brian James

Re: Greek Navy

Unread post by Brian James »

Greek Navy, Zubr Class LCAC HS Ithaca...2022.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

FDI HN: Naval Group Cuts Steel For Second Frigate

The steel-cutting ceremony for the second FDI Frigate for the Hellenic Navy (FDI HN) took place today at the Naval Group shipyard in Lorient.

Naval Group press release:
The program for three frigates plus one optional, for the Hellenic Navy was signed the 24th of March 2022. Less than four months later, and while the first frigate is already in production, the steel-cutting ceremony held today in Lorient marked an important step in the program and the beginning of the production phase of the second frigate. The ceremony was led by Gilles Langlois Naval Group Program Director for Hellenic Navy Frigates in presence of Commodore Theocharis Chatzopoulos Commanding Officer of the Hellenic Navy Detachment in Lorient.

Continues at - https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... d-frigate/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Brian James

Condottieri Class Light Cruiser HNS Elli ( Ex Eugenio di Savoia), pictured in her role as a Naval Prison Ship at Piraeus c1973..In 1947 she was accepted as World War II reparations by Greece.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Hellenic Navy Delfin Class Submarine Xifias pictured at Toulon in 1913...Along with its sister ship Delfin, Xifias was ordered in 1910 from the Schneider Shipyards at Toulon. She was delivered to the Royal Hellenic Navy in March 1913, shortly after the end of the First Balkan War. It was thus unable to participate in any naval operations against the Ottoman fleet. The French news-photograph concern Agènce Rol produced a series of photographs of Xifias undergoing diving and submerged torpedo-firing tests off Toulon in June 1913. Like its sister ship, Xifias was plagued by mechanical problems and had insufficient operational capabilities; as a consequence, its use was minimal in the years that followed. Xifias and the rest of the Greek fleet were confiscated by the French in October 1916, during the Greek National Schism. When the ships were returned in 1918, the two Submarines were in a bad shape, and the following year, they were decommissioned.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Video: FDI And FDI HN Frigates Under Construction

The first of the defense and intervention frigates (FDI) is beginning to take shape at the Naval Group shipyard in Lorient, Britany (France). Six months after its keel laying (December 16, 2021), the hull of “Amiral Ronarc’h” is fully assembled with some of its structures already in place. This first FDI, the next generation of “first rank frigate” for the French Navy, will be launched in the fall of 2022 for delivery scheduled for 2024.

Five FDI frigates intended will be ordered by the French defence procurement agency (DGA) for the French Navy. This program reinforces the technological lead of the French naval industrial base, and of Naval Group in particular.

On March 24, 2022, Greece and Naval Group signed the contracts for three FDI HN frigates, plus one optional, and their in-service support. Two FDI HN will be delivered in 2025 and the third one in 2026.

The FDI frigate is a 4,500-ton class high sea warship. Multipurpose and resilient, she features high level capabilities in all warfare domains. Strongly armed (Exocet MM40 B3C anti-surface missiles, Aster anti-air missiles, MU90 antisubmarine torpedoes, artillery), the frigate is able to embark simultaneously a helicopter and an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).

See - https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... struction/

Link from Tim.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Europe’s Largest Shipbuilder to Produce Warships in Greece

See - https://greekreporter.com/2022/12/17/eu ... ip-greece/

Link from Tim.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Olympias is a reconstruction of an ancient Athenian trireme and an important example of experimental archaeology. She is also a ship commissioned by the Greek Navy, the only one of her class in the world.

Video at - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcsrNrRkQis
Brian James

Panoramic Sensors and Intelligence Module (PSIM) mainmast for the Greek Frigate HNS Kimon, pictured being fitted at Naval Group's Lorient Shipyard. This is the Greek version of the French FDI Frigate, the mast also houses the new Sea Fire radar from Thales.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HS Georgios Averof (nicknamed Uncle George) in camouflage paint, RN Bombay Station, 1942, while serving under UK Royal Navy command
Brian James

Greek Navy, Lead Ship FDI Frigate HNS Kimon pictured being cold moved on the Scorff River at Naval Group's Lorient Shipyard to the fitting out wharf in September 2023.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Navies”