Model Making: General

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
Pelican

Model Making: General

Unread post by Pelican »

Britain's last professional miniature model ship maker?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... craft.html
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Re: Model Making: General

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Different league to me , but can understand his frustration sometimes , but it can certainly take hold of your life if you let it , but I try to balance the hobby .

To do it justice takes an awful lot of patience and the ability to switch off other than whats before you .

Time to build , I never finish on mine but three years taken on HMS Victorious but spread over a long time with others in between [ probably why its still not finished :oops: ]

I revel [ no pun intended ] in the challenge both in how to make it and with what , unlike kits which is boring and merely construction work not real modelling [ well not to me anyway ]

Still each to their own , but it can take over if you let it .......me its relaxation , much like Dennis I suspect , but once built I find it endless as I change bits of detail or remove / improve /refit an item
so may be my own worst enemy :oops:

Thanks for the post David .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

Well tomorrow .....I'm off to the International model boat show in Warwickshire so I hope to have some decent photos for you soon 8-)
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

ivorthediver wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:27 pm Well tomorrow .....I'm off to the International model boat show in Warwickshire so I hope to have some decent photos for you soon 8-)
Enjoy Ivor, leave the bank card at home ;-)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Well I had a wonderful day there thanks Jim , but not so many war canoes worthy of photo's with a few exceptions , but I'll check them out and post the best .

It is the same old storey where everyone seems to be jostling by and nudging whilst you get a decent shot , but did my best .

Some are excellent , and in fairness I managed quite a few model tug photo's where access seemed better , so I'll filter them in over the next few days

The First batch is for our dear mate Dennis :-

I'll let you name them Dennis as your the expert here :D hope you enjoy and can make them out
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Nice photos Ivor, I dread to think how many hours were spent constructing them all.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Well not sure of that Jim , wether it was a group or an individual who did , but either way more patience than I possess , perhaps we should ask Dennis as its his area of expertise , ......my big mitt's would have great trouble holding them :(
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Right then Ivor, or Jim,or Dennis; I am completely confused....(obvious one might say :) ) .... but where is the ruler, folding rule or metre stick on the table edge to inform we simple folk just what size of the examples on display are??

Or have I just not located such a measurin/reference aid yet

Model scale size will only be of help to me if I know the size of the actual vessel that has been replicated.
Little h
ivorthediver

No argument from me Harry , which is why I referred it to Dennis [ Designeraccd] but the size observed was approx 150mm ish , but as I say he would know a lot better than I

In this size a lot of the detail is not possible to include as I am sure you have already noticed , and a general silhouette is the best you can hope to achieve .......however the poppy might give you a clue [44mmat widest] as they are placed there as a depiction of Sunk ,..but that is an argument you would need to address with the modeller ........sorry thats as mush as I can give you without one in front of me ;)
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

ivorthediver wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:58 pm .......however the poppy might give you a clue [44mmat widest]
Thanks for the observation Ivor - that is precisely the reference material I was missing (or to be honest had overlooked :oops: )

Got a better idea of most of the model sizes now - Thanks again.

Without those poppies - I would've been sunk also ;)
Little h
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”