Oil Tankers & OBO's

Threads relating to the Merchant Navy and Maritime Safety
oldsalt

Oil Tankers & OBO's

Unread post by oldsalt »

When I left the RN I joined Mobile Oil Tankers as a Second Engineer. A few photos of some of the ships I served in.
MOBILMARKETER-IMO7347457-ChrisHowell.jpg
1fd503e50.jpg
MobilComet-1.jpg
images.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Re: Oil Tankers & OBO's

Unread post by ivorthediver »

they look big girls Keith , did you enjoy your time on them :?: as you hear differing tales of life bordering between boredom and cost cutting on services ....
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

The Mobil Pinnacle was the largest I was in. We had bicycles to get around the upper deck & a lift in the Engine Room.
ivorthediver

I readily believe that Keith, they look huge but how on earth did you maintain a vertical presence in a rough sea , I would probably have locked myself away unless I was desperately needed :oops:
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

My experience in the MN was, shall I say, an eye opener. As a 2nd Engineer I was also responsible for the electrics, no Electrical Engineers like the RN.
Trips were 4 mths on & 2mths off, sounds good but for the 4 mths onboard there was work 24/7. Food & accommodation were excellent, pay was pretty good too.
ivorthediver

If it suited and you were happy Keith " why not" I love anything Mechanical [ runs in the blood] and to my fathers permanent horror I was always taking things apart and reassembling them to see how they worked [ and very few didn't when reassembled ] and I consider myself a practical person so I'm sure I would have been a dab hand at being one had my life not taken a different path :cry:

My other love in life was anything to do with water ....in it ..under it ..on top of it , but again it wasn't until latter on in life that these dreams became reality ......still better than never at all eh :)
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

One advantage with Mobil shipping was that I could & did take my wife to sea.
ivorthediver

Ahh and she had no meals to cook either Eh Keith , so win ...win for her ?
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

Just found a web site that lists all Mobil tankers, it is AUke Visser's Mobil Tankers & Tugs. I was able to print copies to make up history of my time with Mobil.
oldsalt

Unread post by oldsalt »

A nice oicture of my last sea going ship, the Matco Thames taking on a cargo of crude oil from the North Sea.
img001 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Posts Dedicated to the Merchant Navy, Maritime Safety and Shipbuilding”