Oil Tankers & OBO's

Threads relating to the Merchant Navy and Maritime Safety
ivorthediver

Re: Oil Tankers & OBO's

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thanks for sharing that with us Keith , seems to be a niche field to keep you busy , strange how what was at one point drudgery turns back time where the good times come to the fore eh Keith .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Update: FSO Safer No Longer an Environmental Disaster Waiting to Happen, Dispute Remains Over Oil

The FSO Safer is now considerably safer. A United Nations operation to transfer more than one million barrels of oil from the decaying floating oil storage vessel into another ship off the coast of Yemen has been completed. Removal of the oil began around July 14, 2023, and concluded on August 11, 2023.

The discharge of the oil from the decrepit vessel has been years in the making. In 2021, we posted that for several years, the FSO Safer, moored in the Red Sea north of the Yemeni city of Al Hudaydah, was a likely environmental disaster waiting to happen.

The ship was being held as a virtual hostage in the ongoing Yemeni civil war. A converted 400,000 DWT ultra-large crude carrier (ULCC), built in 1976, the ship contained about 1.1 million barrels of oil valued at up to US$80 million. The ship had been progressively deteriorating due to a lack of maintenance and supplies, and many were concerned that the Safer was in imminent risk of sinking, fire, or explosion.
Continues at - https://www.oldsaltblog.com/2023/08/upd ... more-60783
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Posts Dedicated to the Merchant Navy, Maritime Safety and Shipbuilding”