HMS Caroline - Belfast

Post here about Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and its Exhibits
jbryce1437

HMS Caroline - Belfast

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

HMS Caroline is a C Class Light Cruiser and was built for service in the First World War.
She was built by Cammell Laird at Birkenhead and was completed in December 1914 and she is the last survivor of the Battle of Jutland.
She served in the North Sea for the duration of the First World War and started as leader of the 4th Destroyer Flotilla at Scapa Flow. In 1916 she joined the 4th Light Cruiser Squadron and saw action at the Battle of Jutland. In 1917/18 she was fitted with a flying off platfrom and operated aircraft to intercept German air ships over the North Sea.
After serving on the East Indies Station post war she was placed in reserve in 1922. She became the Headquarters and Training Ship for the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, Ulster Division and was moved to Belfast, where her weapons and boilers were removed.
She carried on in that role until 2011, when the unit moved ashore.
In June 2016, HMS Caroline was opened to the public as a museum ship and forms part of the National Museum of the Royal Navy and you can find more details about her here:
https://www.nmrn.org.uk/visit-us/hms-caroline
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Re: HMS Caroline - Belfast

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Caroline
Did you know that you can book a bundle ticket for our upcoming lecture series? This allows you to attend all four lectures for the price of three!
During October and November, we will be holding a series of fascinating talks regarding the history of HMS Caroline and the Royal Navy.
To find out more and to book your tickets please visit: http://bit.ly/2MlafeX

There are 4 photos here - https://www.facebook.com/hmscaroline/ph ... =3&theater - if the link does not work advise and I will post the photos.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Caroline
Landmark & historical place
HMS Caroline is the last surviving ship from the Battle of Jutland, the largest naval engagement of the First World War.
Why not come along this weekend and see this unique survivor for yourself!
See inside our new visitor centre dedicated to telling the personal stories of those who served on the ‘Carry’.
Then, step aboard to see a powerful film on the drama of Jutland and experience impressively restored cabins and deck areas as well as an array of state-of-the-art interactive exhibits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

"On this day in 1914, work began on building HMS Caroline in Cammell Laird, Birkenhead.

Did you know that in 1914 HMS Caroline cost £397,000 to build? This would be £290 million today!

Caroline was built very quickly and she launched in September 1914, it is claimed that this was the fastest build time of any major warship, but this has never been proven."

See - https://www.facebook.com/hmscaroline/ph ... =3&theater
It worth scrolling thru the photos.

Re attached photo - why 4 'cables' from the bow?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Pelican wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:17 pm "On this day in 1914, work began on building HMS Caroline in Cammell Laird, Birkenhead.

Not sure why, could be a belt and braces solution. Similar arrangement in this photo on the Dido Class thread.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

jbryce1437 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:51 am
Pelican wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:17 pm "On this day in 1914, work began on building HMS Caroline in Cammell Laird, Birkenhead.

Not sure why, could be a belt and braces solution. Similar arrangement in this photo on the Dido Class thread.

Jim
Orion, underway, similar, wonder if its anything to do with underwater defences Jim? Or with a catted anchor perhaps in preparation to shackling to a buoy etc.
Attached some of Orion's history which could maybe posted on a more appropriate thread - source Grey Funnel Line.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

From Caroline's Facebook Group

One of the women who served on board HMS Caroline was Belfast-born Margaret Hamilton, who was just 17 years old when she joined the Women’s Royal Naval Service in 1942. Margaret was attached to HMS Caroline and assigned to the Engineer Maintenance Office. Her role was to undertake clerical duties such as filing and typing. She also acted as a confidential messenger, delivering sealed letters to frigates within Pollock Dock.

This is just one of the stories that our volunteers are working to highlight as part of an exciting new augmented reality experience, which aims to complement the interpretation and objects on display in our Dockside Museum. When completed, this digital trail will enable visitors to listen to personal stories and watch unseen footage that celebrates HMS Caroline from construction right through to present day.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Caroline
Have you seen our new signal flags?
They were installed yesterday to celebrate HMS Caroline being shortlisted for the Art Fund Museum of the Year 2019.
The right side reads HMS Caroline, and the left side says Art Fund!

And
HMS Caroline has been shortlisted for the Art Fund Museum of the Year 2019
https://www.facebook.com/hmscaroline/vi ... cZdGCHz2Dw
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Caroline and more:

WW1 Warship HMS Caroline Makes Museum Of The Year Award Shortlist
The Belfast-based vessel will compete against four other UK museums for the prize worth £100,000.

See - https://www.forces.net/services/navy/ww ... -shortlist
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Caroline

Today we are celebrating the theme of women in culture for #MuseumWeek!
Did you know that women served on board HMS Caroline?
Wrens were women who served in the Women's Royal Naval Service (WRNS) – an invaluable asset to HMS Caroline. They had a variety of roles such as clerical officers, wireless telegraphists, radar plotters and weapons analysts.

From - https://www.facebook.com/pg/HMS.Carolin ... e_internal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and Off Site Attractions”