Guided Missile Cruisers: Albany Class

Add your posts about the US Navy in this section
Brian James

Guided Missile Cruisers: Albany Class

Unread post by Brian James »

The former Oregon City Class Heavy Cruiser USS Albany pictured in 1972,post her 1958/62 conversion to the Guided Missile Cruiser CG-10. The converted Cruiser was the lead ship of the new Albany Guided Missile Cruiser Class.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Re: Guided Missile Cruisers: Albany Class

Unread post by ivorthediver »

She certainly looks top heavy in this shot Brian , did the class serve for long ?
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

ALBANY, COLUMBUS, and CHICAGO comprised the 3 heavily modified ships of this CG class. The COLUMBUS was discarded in 1976, the other 2 in 1980. The Talos missile system had been pulled from the Fleet in 76, leaving them with only the short range Tartar missile system operational. Updates for the 2 survivors were not done when the funds were diverted to other projects.

The huge, tall bridge house was all aluminum to hold down top weight. However, it sure must have made docking delightful in windy conditions!! :o Like the LONG BEACH, 2 open 5"38s were later back fitted to the CG; no guns were carried when first rebuilt. The 3 served as Fleet flagships, too. DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
designeraccd

Here are some others I forgot I had!! :o They must have made a GREAT radar "pip". DFO
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Again my thanks for all your hard work Dennis , and so pleased that you continue to populate your country's naval progress through the years for myself and others to enjoy ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Brian James

Albany Class Guided Missile Cruiser USS Chicago pictured as she refuels from Ashtabula Class Fleet Replenishment Oiler USNS Passumpsic, Western Pacific, March 14th, 1978.
designeraccd

These 3 cruisers were ultra modern/sci-fi looking when completed! I remember how "advanced" looking they seemed to me way back then. Looks can be deceiving!! Obviously the word "stealth" was far in the future ;) DFO

My little/TALL model of CHICAGO towers over most other models in my "Fleet"!! :D
Brian James

Former Baltimore Class Heavy Cruiser USS Columbus pictured in 1962.On September 30th 1959, USS Columbus was retrofitted as an Albany Class Guided Missile Cruiser, joining USS Albany (CG-10) and USS Chicago (CG-11) as the only three ships of this line, and reclassified CG-12. USS Columbus (CG-12) was subsequently recommissioned on December 1st 1962 (following a much shorter conversion period than either Chicago or Albany), though a year and half long work-up and testing of her new weapons system delayed her first deployment to the western Pacific until August 1964.
designeraccd

CG ALBANY laid up............. :( DFO
Brian James

Lead Ship, Guided Missile Cruiser USS Albany pictured laid up in reserve at the Navy's deactivated ships pier, across from Norfolk Naval Shipyard on the James River in 1983.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “United States Navy”