Sunderland Visitors

Got some ships photographs or videos that you want to share with others? Post them here
ivorthediver

Re: Sunderland Visitors

Unread post by ivorthediver »

I know I'm not the brightest cookie around Jim but isn't she ridding a tad high to be unloading ore , she looks like she has already done so to the untrained eye....... i.e. mine :oops:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

ivorthediver wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:13 am I know I'm not the brightest cookie around Jim but isn't she ridding a tad high to be unloading ore , she looks like she has already done so to the untrained eye....... i.e. mine :oops:
Not ore Ivor, but sheet steel and coiled steel rolls which come from the Ukraine. The sheet steel is in slabs about the length and width of an articulated lorry trailer and about 6 inches thick (see photo 2). These are then taken to a rolling mill at Gateshead for rolling out into thinner sheets. The mill is owned by a Ukrainian.
I think the coiled steel rolls are are of a guage suitable for making car bodies and are probably destined for the Nissan works up the road.
I don't think Federal Hudson had much to unload here as she was off again before the New Year, to be replaced on the same tide as her sister ship Federal Asahi.

Jim

DSCI1253smlhdr.jpg
aslab-IMG_5756.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Ah that makes more sense , thanks Jim ......clues help so thanks for the information
jbryce1437

Its a while since I posted on this thread, which doesn't mean to say that I haven't been taking photos of the comings and goings on the river. Last week I took some photos of a ship leaving the river for the breakers yard in Turkey. Several ships with the prefix, Highland, have been laid up in the port for quite a while. They are all offshore vessels and probably spent most of their working lives at Aberdeen. Three have recently been towed to Aliaga in Turkey to be broken up, which makes you think about the costs involved, ie the cost of the tug and crew to tow a ship to Turkey and the return journey for the tug and crew. I have followed previous journeys of the tugs and they only make around 5 knots and it takes them just under a month to reach Aliaga.
Highland Valour was towed out on 28th September, by the tug Dian Kingdom, and they are currently shown as off Teignmouth in Devon - I presume they are sheltering from the stormy conditions. They are scheduled to reach Aliaga on 25th October.
Sea Juliett previously left on 21st September with Highland Challenger and are currently between Gibraltar and Oran and due in to Aliaga on 16th October.
Some photos of the most recent departure.

Jim
DSC01546.jpg
DSC01572.jpg
DSC01592.jpg
DSC01596.jpg
DSC01605.jpg
DSC01627.jpg
DSC01673.jpg
DSC01679.jpg
DSC01694.jpg
DSC01715.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

As you say Jim , how on earth do they make it pay , an thats a big old Sea going anchor recovery tug going to "hell" so there looks like two tugs towing it :?:
Thanks for sharing it with us
jbryce1437

ivorthediver wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:08 am As you say Jim , how on earth do they make it pay , an thats a big old Sea going anchor recovery tug going to "hell" so there looks like two tugs towing it :?:
Thanks for sharing it with us
The tug at the stern let go and returned to the Tyne when clear of the harbour. I presume there was a steaming/safety crew on the ship being towed for the duration of the tow.

Jim
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

That seems logical , and presumably the returning tugs costs will be meet by the harbour authorities ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Ship, other Photographs and Videos”