IJN Ships -- Some Less Well-Known Photos

Add your posts about the Imperial Japanese Navy in this section
DonBoyer

Re: IJN Ships -- Some Less Well-Known Photos

Unread post by DonBoyer »

If I remember correctly that third photo of Aoba was an annotated USN "intelligence" score at the time. As with many IJN cruisers, there are a lot more photos of her as a mangled wreck post war that of her "in action." Here's Aoba with Kaga in 1936.
AOBA.KAGA.1936.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don G. Boyer

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled."(Richard Feynman)
DonBoyer

A photo I had never seen before, and I've been at this for almost 50 years -- a portside view of heavy crusier Myoko, 15 August 1945 at Singapore. Even one of my Japanese collector friends says he'd never seen this one before.
MYOKO.SINGAPORE.8.15.1945.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don G. Boyer

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled."(Richard Feynman)
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

By golly, finally a good view of the MYOKO, sans stern. Great one!!!! :D Sometimes swabbys DO come through... ;)

Only other rear pic I've seen is this, but the portside; really good! Shows her nicely. DFO
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Blimey its only the ladder holding the aft turret up isn't it :o :o
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
designeraccd

Shades of the PRINZ EUGEN off Norway, but at least she got home and was repaired!!!!!!!!!!! :o DFO

attached.....probably the best known view of her, sans stern.
ivorthediver

Another fine shot Dennis shows the value of Camo [.in black and white anyway] took me a moment to realise that they weren't Junks .....but submarines alongside :?
DonBoyer

After her damage by submarine Bergall during the Battle of Leyte Gulf, Myoko managed to crawl to Singapore, but was never repaired -- her wrecked engines were beyond what the Japanese were able to do at that time and place and she spent the rest of the war rusting near Seletar until scuttled by the British in '46. Takao was also there, having also been damaged by torpedoes in the same battle and was also scuttled. The entire class of cruisers was destroyed in that battle -- two sunk and two crippled beyond repair. Not a good week for the Japanese. In all these years, I've never seen any photographs from the British showing the scuttling of these two ships.
Don G. Boyer

ivorthediver

Well with the damage shown on these photo's I'm amazed they manage to get back there at all Don,
and as the old adage says "You learn something new each day "
designeraccd

AOBA after Battle of Cape Esperance, Oct., '42.......... :o Dead and wounded were being removed. DFO
ivorthediver

Hmmmmmm :evil:

Good Morning , and Thanks for the post Dennis
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Imperial Japanese Navy”