IJN Submarines All Classes

Add your posts about the Imperial Japanese Navy in this section
Brian James

Re: IJN Submarines All Classes

Unread post by Brian James »

Type IXC U-Boat U-511 pictured at Penang on July 16th 1943....The U-511 was attached to the 10th U-boat Flotilla for front-line service on August 1st 1942. In that role she carried out four war patrols, two commanded by Kptlt. Steinhoff, and two by Kptlt. Fritz Schneewind, sinking five ships totalling 41,373 gross register tons (GRT) and damaging one of 8,773 GRT....U-511 was transferred to Japan on September 16th 1943 and served in the IJN as Submarine Ro-500 (呂500) until August 1945 when she surrendered to the Allies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Type L, Sub Class L3 Submarine No 46 (later re-named Ro-57) pictured on completion off Mitsubishi Shipyards at Kobe on August 1st 1922...The Submarines of the Type L3 Sub-Class were copies of the Group 2 Subclass of the British L- Class Submarine built under license in Japan. Ro-57 served on training duties in Japanese waters from 1941, operating in the Kure Defense Force until January 15th 1943, when Submarine Division 6 was transferred back to the Yokosuka Naval District. Ro-57 was decommissioned, stricken from the Navy list, and placed in the Fourth Reserve in the Yokosuka Naval District on May 15th 1945. She then served at Shōdoshima as a stationary training hulk for the crews of Midget Submarines until August 15th 1945, when hostilities between Japan and the Allies ended. She was scrapped in 1946.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Kaidai Type Cruiser Submarine I-176 pictured on sea trials off Kure Naval Arsenal on July 31st 1942..The most successful Submarine of her Class, she severely damaged Northampton Class Heavy Cruiser USS Chester in October 1942 and sank Gato Class Submarine USS Corvina in November 1943, the only Japanese Submarine to sink one of her American counterparts. 1-176 was sunk by depth charge attack in May 1944 in the western Pacific by USN Destroyers Franks, Haggard and Johnstone.
Brian James

Launch day for Kaidai Class, KD3A Subclass Cruiser Submarine I-53 (later re-named I-153), pictured at Kure Naval Arsenal on August 5th 1925...During World War II, she supported Japanese forces during the invasion of British Malaya in December 1941 and the Dutch East Indies campaign in early 1942. She served as a Training Submarine until she was hulked in January 1944. She surrendered to the Allies at the end of the war in 1945. She was among several captured Japanese Submarines sunk as gunnery targets by the Royal Australian Navy Destroyer HMAS Quiberon and the Royal Indian Navy Sloop HMIS Sutlej in the Inland Sea on May 8th 1946.
Brian James

Kaichū-Type Submarine, Kaichū I Subclass No 19, (later re-named Ro-11) pictured on completion at Kure Naval Arsenal on August 6th 1919... She and her sister ship Ro-12 were the first Submarines built to a fully Japanese design. She was commissioned in 1919 and operated in the waters of Japan. She was stricken in 1932.
Brian James

Loading and launch testing of Ko-Hyoteki Type C Midget Submarines No HA-36 and HA-69 on Transport No 5 off Nasake Jima, Inland Sea on August 17th 1944.
Brian James

Experimental high speed Submarine No 71 pictured on launch day at Kure Naval Arsenal on August 29th 1938..For surface running, the boat was powered by a single 1,200-brake-horsepower diesel engine that drove one propeller shaft. When submerged the propeller was driven by a 1,800-horsepower electric motor. She could reach 13.25 knots on the surface and 21.25 knots underwater. The boat was armed with three internal bow 17.7 inch torpedo tubes; each was provided with one torpedo. Trials showed that her small size and low-powered diesel made her hard to handle on the surface. While incapable of her intended speeds, she exceeded a submerged speed of 21 knots, almost five years before the famous German type XXI U-boats achieved speeds of around 18 knots. After extensive evaluations the boat was scrapped in 1940, and the lessons learned contributed to the development of the Sen Taka-Class, and the Sen Taka Sho-Class.
Brian James

Kaidai Class Cruiser Submarine, KD4 Sub Class No I-61 pictured off Kobe on August 29th 1931...On October 2nd 1941, with the Commander of Submarine Division 29 on board, I-61 departed Sasebo with the Submarine Tender Rio de Janeiro Maru bound for a fleet gathering point at Murokusumi in Yamaguchi Prefecture. In the Koshiki Channel that evening, the Japanese Gunboat Kiso Maru mistook a red light she saw I-61 displaying aft of Rio de Janeiro Maru for that of a smaller vessel and misjudged her passing distance behind I-61. She collided with I-61 around 23:21. I-61 sank quickly, with the loss of all 71 men on board. In January/February 1942 I-61′s wreck was refloated, and it was sold for scrapping in 1942.
Brian James

Kaidai Class, KD3B Subclass Submarine I-56 pictured at Kure Naval Arsenal on August 29th 1931. Commissioned in 1929. During World War II, she supported Japanese forces during the invasion of Malaya in December 1941, the Dutch East Indies campaign in early 1942, and the Battle of Midway in June 1942. Except for brief service in the Aleutian Islands campaign in 1943, she subsequently served on training duties until selected for use as a Kaiten manned suicide torpedo carrier in 1945. She surrendered to the Allies in 1945 after the end of the war and was scuttled in 1946.
Brian James

Launch day for Kaidai Class, KD3A Subclass Cruiser Submarine I-55 at Kure Naval Arsenal on September 2nd 1925..Commissioned in 1927, early in World War II, she supported Japanese forces in the invasion of Malaya and the Dutch East Indies campaign before assuming training duties in Japan, interrupted briefly in 1943 by her participation in the Aleutian Islands campaign. She became a Kaiten manned suicide attack torpedo carrier in 1945 before surrendering at the end of the war. She was scuttled in 1946.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Imperial Japanese Navy”