HMS Belfast - History

Post here about the Imperial War Museum and its exhibits
ivorthediver

Re: HMS Belfast history

Unread post by ivorthediver »

timlewin wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:40 am if you go to the film & video link and open the film RED SHORE it has a lot about the Victory Day events we organise for the old chaps, and some of the visits to the museum ship, icebreaker, Krassin in St. Petersburg. You will also see briefly the Spitfire operated by Historic Aircraft Collection I hired for 2 days to fly over Loch Ewe. I had planned for the Hurricane but this was in maintenance (Hurricanes being more significant in the Russian context). The Spit was flown by Charlie Brown, the guns have been removed, no longer entirely necessary, and replaced by larger fuel tanks so its possible to fly from here to there in only one leg. He spent the night at Oban and did his displays over the loch from there. Stirring stuff, you cannot beat the sound of that engine. During the summer I get fairly frequent over-flights by Spitfires doing displays along the South Coast, there is no mistaking them, the other old aircraft we get is the Harvard, a much deeper and heavier note that the numerous light aircraft we get, no mistaking these old stagers. In nearby flying range we have Headcorn, Lydd, Shoreham and others.
WE know exactly what you mean Tim as we are about 5 miles from Duxford , where both "The old Flying Machine Co" , and " Warbirds " are housed
and maintained which house many Merlins in differing airframes , and as you say you can pick them out along way off :D , and like last weekend they hold in stacking formation close by and overfly our happy band of OAP's , and the other side is Marshalls Airport where some will land and top up in the unlikely event that the bowser is non- op at Duxford .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

a few pages from history
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Good Grief Tim ,......it seems like it was only yesterday , don't you think :)
timlewin

in some way it does Ivor, in others it seems like a lifetime. Now I have a plan with the support of the MPs from Belfast to engage the City and its industries much more closely with the ship they built and look on Belfast as an asset to them not just a museum on a far away city. This starts with the plan to "paint ship" which is part of the much wider refurb plans. Enthusiasm is there, now the magic is how to turn enthusiasm to action. I know we can do this, we did the masts, we persuaded BP to paint the ship after the mast project was completed, there is so much more to be gained by integrating Belfast with HMS Belfast.

Steer 270, revolutions 275. (West, full speed)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timlewin

The bronze; I wanted a bronze to mark the occasion, people forget in an instant, and eventually settled on a company called "Black Isle Foundry in Scotland. The MD of the company was very enthusiastic and eventually delivered the casting in person, its very heavy. I wrote the words, my Russian friends translated them. It transpired that the grandfather of the owner of Black Isle was actually Russian, he had fought with the British Forces sent to Murmansk at the time of the Revolution, Red & White, and been evacuated to Scotland when the hopelessness of the cause became apparent. He settled in Scotland and eventually became more Scottish than Rob Roy. The bronze is attached to the superstructure between the two Port-side 4" mountings.
tim
timlewin

The Russian shipyard that made the masts, Severny Werf from St Petersburg, sent the masts over, complete, with a team of engineers to dismantle the old rusted masts and erect the new ones. Here is a picture of that team, replicating a similar picture from 1942, enjoying a small party onboard to celebrate completion of the work. In keeping with tradition going back to the earliest days of ships we put coins under the mast. I dug through my suit pockets and found some Ruble coins, the rest are British to represent our complete unity in this historic example of people working together.
ivorthediver

Well if anyone could pull it off its you Tim , T.T.L. would have been so proud of you and the bridges you have crossed since he crossed the bar , and the completion of the many topics so dear to him which have been nurtured to their respective completion by you and your motley crew ........Credit where its Due Tim ,.... and the "Lewin" trait is ever witnessed by the band of supporters you lead , you can delegate ..........but it takes drive and motivation to achieve the results you have , not just a kind smile .
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

ivorthediver wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:41 am Well if anyone could pull it off its you Tim , T.T.L. would have been so proud of you and the bridges you have crossed since he crossed the bar , and the completion of the many topics so dear to him which have been nurtured to their respective completion by you and your motley crew ........Credit where its Due Tim ,.... and the "Lewin" trait is ever witnessed by the band of supporters you lead , you can delegate ..........but it takes drive and motivation to achieve the results you have , not just a kind smile .
Seconded

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
timlewin

don't tell anyone or they will all want some!
ivorthediver

Well its not often an ex Government man is modest so we will allow it just the once Tim :|
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Imperial War Museum - HMS Belfast: RAF Duxford”