HMS Belfast - History

Post here about the Imperial War Museum and its exhibits
timlewin

Re: HMS Belfast - History

Unread post by timlewin »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp4X2jc0TbU

here is the film of USS Slater, and looking very tiddley too, more as the come in.

This event was arranged by Capt Igor Kozyr of the Polar Brotherhood, dear friends and good allies, this evolution demonstrates the connecting power of history...
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

FROM I.W.M. ON FACEBOOK - HMS Belfast

In June 1950 North Korean forces invaded South Korea, beginning the first major armed conflict of the Cold War.
HMS Belfast was soon in action and spent more than 400 days on patrol blockading the North Korean coast, shelling onshore targets in support of South Korean and United Nations forces.
Want to know more about the Korean War? 'Britain's Forgotten Wars with Tony Robinson' is currently streaming on Channel 4. com.

bit.ly/3vIxzv3 - https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/a-short- ... mMabOuJFkA

© IWM A 32244
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

H.M.S. BELFAST ~ FROM TIM LEWIN:

A while back our friends and Victory Week supporters at Viking Cruises asked me if I might “do something” for Remembrance Day on their internet TV Channel.

As the Last Witness project that enabled us to join with Russia in replacing the masts of HMS Belfast with perfect replicas constructed in the Severnaya Verf shipyard in St. Petersburg was done specifically as a memorial to all those who participated in the formidable Arctic Campaign I suggest that they might use this with a short intro from me.

And here it is, counting down to 11/11 but available thereafter. Please watch this and remember all those brave souls who were there, and especially those who remain there lost in action.

There is a feedback option for the film, if you enjoy it please tell Viking. One day I hope we will once again be able to celebrate Victory Week with them onboard “our ship”

Just sharing the link below to tune in to watch – please feel free to share this with anyone.

https://viking.tv/live/friday/learn-abo ... -tim-lewin
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Belfast

The Belfast was not an aircraft carrier, but it did house two 'Walrus' seaplanes.
Launched from catapults on the ship itself, the aircraft provided fleet reconnaissance - known as 'eyes in the sky' - before radar was installed in 1943.
The aircraft were recovered by landing at sea close to the ship, then craned back on board once the mission was completed.
© IWM A 9271
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Belfast

In March 1955 the decision was made to modernise HMS Belfast for her final tour of duty.
She was fitted with new systems, equipment and a fully enclosed bridge. Much of this was still visible when the ship was towed from the Pool of London on its way to dry dock at Tilbury in 1982.
HMS Belfast has been updated with brand-new displays and refreshed exhibition spaces to celebrate 50 years on the Thames as London's Warship Experience.

Discover more at - https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/hms-belfa ... -lOXPwc7Kg
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

https://viking.tv/live/friday/learn-abo ... -tim-lewin

The Remembrance Day contribution i made for Viking Cruises with a film of our ship, this is about the history of HMSB and how we changed her masts into a war memorial. Viking Cruises sponsored a big part of our last Victory Day event and the joining of Norwegian veterans and families.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

A brilliant film Tim, enjoyed watching it very much.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Belfast in dry dock for a refit at HMNB Portsmouth 1999-2000.

She’s due another soon.
No easy job moving what will soon be an 80 year old warship from her permanent birth in the pool of London, on the River Thames, to Portsmouth Dockyard.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

And not a cheap fix either I bet :(
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Imperial War Museum - HMS Belfast: RAF Duxford”