HMS Belfast - History

Post here about the Imperial War Museum and its exhibits
timlewin

Re: HMS Belfast - History

Unread post by timlewin »

LAST WITNESS
Welcoming SPEECH TL

Dear friends,

It is with great pleasure that I welcome you all here today, every one of you is here because you already have a connection with this ship and through this ship we all have a connection with each other, this is the connecting power of history.

Before I go any further I would like to pass you the warmest of greetings from his Royal Highness Prince Michael of Kent. Today’s event has been organised at his direct request, unfortunately fate intervened, his scheduled hip-surgery was bought forward. He telephoned me last week on the eve of going to hospital to ask me to pass his personal congratulations to the great St Petersburg shipbuilding company of Severnaya Verf for their spectacular replacement of both masts of this ship.

I have also received a letter from his Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh who was the principal guest at the original dedication ceremony in 2010. In this letter he renews his thanks to all those who contributed to the successful completion of the last witness project. This letter I will present to Severnaya Verf team to take back to share with their colleagues in Saint Petersburg, especially those excellent shipwrights, men and women, who came here to London and lived in the ship to undertake their work.

The last witness project was too big and too important to be the work of one person. Many of you here today contributed to turning the concept into reality. In this work we had tremendous support not only from the shipyard but from Russia’s largest shipping company, Sovcomflot, whose most senior directors are with us today, gentlemen we salute you and thanks you for your enduring relationship with HMS Belfast. From the Russian embassy here in London, gentlemen we salute you too. We also had great support from the British Embassy in Moscow who are represented today by Captain John Foreman practically on the eve of his departure for a new posting there. BP Russia, and the Russo-British Chamber of Commerce cannot escape mention. If I have left any of you out your contribution has not been forgotten.

We are also extremely grateful to arch-priest Maxim of the Orthodox Church in London who will rededicate the masts for us very shortly. It is important that we remember that the work of Severnaya Verf is not just an outstanding example of ship repair, their work has been to create a lasting memorial to all those who served in the Arctic campaign to support Russia during the great patriotic War. Over there between the four inch guns is a bronze plaque commending this dedication. We are proud also to have with us some Russian veterans of that dreadful conflict.

We are also delighted to have with us fresh from their ferocious negotiations in the British Parliament two members of that House representing the people of Northern Ireland, and the city of Belfast, birthplace of this splendid ship, every plat, every rivet on which we stand today has part of the Soul of the builders in it.

It is through projects like this, like last witness, that HMS Belfast has become a unique symbol of friendship linking not just ourselves here today but thousands and thousands of others around the world who for all kinds of personal reasons identify with this ship as a symbol, icon, of international comradeship.

I said that the delivery of the last witness project was the work of many, the most important among that many who bought it to a successful conclusion was Adml. Lord West, to whom I now have the honour of passing the microphone.

Thank you all.

here is my welcome speech with a few pics of Adm West presenting to the director of the Severnaya Verf shipyard who built and installed the masts with a plaque, crest, made from the steel from the old masts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timlewin

LAST WITNESS
Welcoming SPEECH TL

Dear friends,

It is with great pleasure that I welcome you all here today, every one of you is here because you already have a connection with this ship and through this ship we all have a connection with each other, this is the connecting power of history.

Before I go any further I would like to pass you the warmest of greetings from his Royal Highness Prince Michael of Kent. Today’s event has been organised at his direct request, unfortunately fate intervened, his scheduled hip-surgery was bought forward. He telephoned me last week on the eve of going to hospital to ask me to pass his personal congratulations to the great St Petersburg shipbuilding company of Severnaya Verf for their spectacular replacement of both masts of this ship.

I have also received a letter from his Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh who was the principal guest at the original dedication ceremony in 2010. In this letter he renews his thanks to all those who contributed to the successful completion of the last witness project. This letter I will present to Severnaya Verf team to take back to share with their colleagues in Saint Petersburg, especially those excellent shipwrights, men and women, who came here to London and lived in the ship to undertake their work.

The last witness project was too big and too important to be the work of one person. Many of you here today contributed to turning the concept into reality. In this work we had tremendous support not only from the shipyard but from Russia’s largest shipping company, Sovcomflot, whose most senior directors are with us today, gentlemen we salute you and thanks you for your enduring relationship with HMS Belfast. From the Russian embassy here in London, gentlemen we salute you too. We also had great support from the British Embassy in Moscow who are represented today by Captain John Foreman practically on the eve of his departure for a new posting there. BP Russia, and the Russo-British Chamber of Commerce cannot escape mention. If I have left any of you out your contribution has not been forgotten.

We are also extremely grateful to arch-priest Maxim of the Orthodox Church in London who will rededicate the masts for us very shortly. It is important that we remember that the work of Severnaya Verf is not just an outstanding example of ship repair, their work has been to create a lasting memorial to all those who served in the Arctic campaign to support Russia during the great patriotic War. Over there between the four inch guns is a bronze plaque commending this dedication. We are proud also to have with us some Russian veterans of that dreadful conflict.

We are also delighted to have with us fresh from their ferocious negotiations in the British Parliament two members of that House representing the people of Northern Ireland, and the city of Belfast, birthplace of this splendid ship, every plat, every rivet on which we stand today has part of the Soul of the builders in it.

It is through projects like this, like last witness, that HMS Belfast has become a unique symbol of friendship linking not just ourselves here today but thousands and thousands of others around the world who for all kinds of personal reasons identify with this ship as a symbol, icon, of international comradeship.

I said that the delivery of the last witness project was the work of many, the most important among that many who bought it to a successful conclusion was Adml. Lord West, to whom I now have the honour of passing the microphone.

Thank you all.

and a few pics of Lord West presenting a plaque, crest, cast from the steel of the old masts.

Lots more pics to follow.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by timlewin on Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
timlewin

ORDERS OF THE DAY

• 1130; Guests please aim to arrive to the ship approx. 1130 and make you way to the Morgan Giles suite on the boat deck for a welcome drink.

• 1200; The bugler will sound the Alert to call the guests to assemble on the boat deck for the dedication ceremony.

• The flags of the shipyard and the Russian national flag will be at the foremast yards together with the White Ensign and IWM House Flag.

• Chief Yeoman will call the guest to order.

• Welcome speech by Tim Lewin who will introduce Admiral the Lord West of Spithead for a short speech on the significance of the event.

• Lord West will call on Arch-Priest Maxim of the Russian Orthodox Church in Great Britain to make the dedication.

• Arch-Priest Maxim will bless the masts re-affirming their solemn dedication to the everlasting memory of all who served in the Arctic Campaign to Russia.

• Admiral Lord West will make Short speech of thanks & a presentation to shipyard director of a crest of the ship cast from the steel of the old masts to take back to Russia. The director of Severnaya Verf will respond.

• Chief Yeoman will call on the bugler to sound the Last Post to the memory of the Arctic Campaign.

• Bugler to sound last post.

• Reveille

• 4-gun salute from the Port forrard 4” mounting by re-enactors.

• Chief Yeoman will call for three cheers for Severnaya Verf Shipyard.

• 1230 Remaining on the boat deck:

• Speeches on the important significance of the Last Witness Project; first from Mr. Sergey Frank, Chairman of Sovcomflot, one of the largest commercial fleets in the World. Second from Gavin Robinson, Member of Parliament for East Belfast where HMS Belfast was built and launched on the eve of War.

• 1250 Guests to return to M-G room for lunch.

• 1300 lunch, 4 circular tables of ten guests each.

• 1430 final toasts.

• Guests may tour the ship

In the event of adverse weather the dedication ceremony on the boat-deck will be shortened and speeches/presentations will be made inside the Morgan Giles suite.

Media are invited to cover the dedication on the boat deck

https://m.facebook.com/RSGovUK/videos/5 ... o&d=n&vh=e
timlewin

https://www.culture24.org.uk/history-an ... o/art77311

good for a laugh!

I just found this while looking for something else; what I said 10 years ago about Victory Day, and THE MASTS.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Many thanks for that Tim. I was pleased to read that the new masts will last forever ;-)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
timlewin

longer than me anyway, and after that its someone else's problem. They are still in the paint our Russians applied before putting them in place and actually look rather better than the rest of the old girl who is showing need for a side party with pots and brushes rather urgently. An expensive task these days. H&S requires a complex scaffold errection to be suspended from the deck level and moved along as they go. I think the last paint job was some £200k per side and that was quite a few years ago. I wonder if we might approach the court for some "community service" offenders?
timlewin

view from the crowsnest?

I am rather pleased to tell you all that the Golubovich Foundation, who funded the Last Witness film among a bunch of other excellent initiatives, has agreed to sponsor the complete installation of the masthead camera. Now I am rallying the various parties whose input is needed to actually do this, Banhams who will supply the camera and special mounting bracket, G-Lan who will provide the skilled mast climber to satisfy H&S regs and go aloft to actually attach the camera to the nav radar platform, and the IWM digital team to connect up the cables to put the link to broadcast so we can all connect and see whats going on in and around the ship I real time.
when I get a proper schedule I will report back
tim
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Excellent news and good to read of the great progress made by our good self Tim.
Little h
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Looking forward to the views Tim, well done.

JIm
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
timlewin

unfortunately it might take a while, H&S again, the mast climbing chap is reluctant to climb the mast in temps below 8C or in the wet so we are governed by him decision as to when conditions are suitable but in any case, the camera folks actually need to fabricate the bracket first, this is held onto the rim of the nav radar platform by pinch-bolts, clamping rather than drilling, and this will take a week or two which no doubt Christmas will stretch past 4! patience is essential.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Imperial War Museum - HMS Belfast: RAF Duxford”