HMS Belfast - History

Post here about the Imperial War Museum and its exhibits
James b

Re: HMS Belfast history

Unread post by James b »

Since I joined the Skipton RNA .. I have made mates with two other shipmates , who spent their time on Belfast , from WW11 , to the Korean war,
as I spent some months on her in 1967/68 .
Here is S/M Norman Robinson getting his Ushakov medal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raleigh..Cambridge..St Vincent ..CHICHESTER.Bellerophon {H.M.S BELFAST} ..Excellent .Pembroke...MOHAWK ..SCYLLA
R.N.H Stonehouse ..Rooke.[ARLINGHAM]...Drake..
Discharged 1st Dec 75
James b

Unread post by James b »

This was a group photo of all three of us ,Left to Right ..Myself .. Sam Bottomley .. Norman Robinson .. we have out own seats in the corner ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raleigh..Cambridge..St Vincent ..CHICHESTER.Bellerophon {H.M.S BELFAST} ..Excellent .Pembroke...MOHAWK ..SCYLLA
R.N.H Stonehouse ..Rooke.[ARLINGHAM]...Drake..
Discharged 1st Dec 75
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well you all look in good shape James , glad you had a good time at the RNA and continue to do so .

I don't enjoy the benefit of going to them having never served in the Navy to my eternal bitterness but envy those who were fortunate enough to , one thing seems common in all of them is the bond they all felt and the longevity of there friendships with others who served .......so couldn't have been all duff watches eh ......long may you continue to enjoy them and good wishes to your dear wife .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

Great to be back in business, now I can begin by reloading all my old files on HMSB. This was my father's first ship after qualifying from cadet to midshipman. Prior to that he was with Vindictive which was at the time the training cruiser. Through this he went from Vindictive to Belfast, Belfast to Valiant, then Valiant to Highlander, Highlander to Ashanti where he remained until the end of the war during which he was continuously at sea barring his Sub's exams IN 1941 for six years. Here are some early snaps onboard Belfast between August and November 1939.
timlewin

few more....Liverpool was 1940, this photo was taken from Valiant after the petrol (for Walrus) fire has raged out of control after her bombing and resulted in all of the focsle falling away, she was repaired later. This event is covered in the "He who would Valiant be" book of TTLs journal.
timlewin

When I first became involved with HMSB she had no wheel for the emergency steering position in the Admiral's flat immediately below the quarterdeck, and above the steering motor. I asked the director, in those days Brad King, what happened to the wheel/s. Taken for a coffee table no doubt he replied. As it happened I had inherited a coffee table which had been crafted from Corunna's wheel which had been presented to TTL when that ship, his first command, was pensioned off. As I had no where to put it I offered it to the ship. Brad cam to collect it in his red Morgan. As the wheel would not fit inside we lashed it to the spare wheel on the back. Here is a picture of Corunna in reserve with Belfast, and Rame Head back in the day, Corunna may be just a memory but here is a part of her that lives on. The other wheel, right hand (Stbd) one was purchased on Ebay! right size, wrong pattern, but who cares
tim
ivorthediver

Brilliant Tim and many thanks for sharing these and the footnotes with us .

Just got back from four days at Greenwich and cant thank you enough for the recommendation to visit .

We thought of you constantly ....in fact with every glass of White Burgundy :lol:
timlewin

Mother's ruin, order another bottle!

lots more to follow (pictures that is, not wine, altho…..)

also a lot of Greenwich photos to post.

tim
ivorthediver

More power to your elbow Tim .
timlewin

I have lots of Belfast material in preparation to re-post, meanwhile here are some random shots to whet the appetite....
tim
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Imperial War Museum - HMS Belfast: RAF Duxford”