HMS Belfast - History

Post here about the Imperial War Museum and its exhibits
jbryce1437

HMS Belfast - History

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Built by Messrs Harland & Wolff in 1936, HMS Belfast was launched by Anne Chamberlain, wife of the then Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, on St Patrick's Day in 1938. After fitting out and builder's trials, HMS Belfast was commissioned into the Royal Navy on 5 August 1939 under the command of Captain G A Scott DSO RN.

Designed for the protection of trade and offensive action she was immediately called into service patrolling the northern waters in efforts to impose a maritime blockade on Germany. However, disaster struck after only two months at sea when HMS Belfast hit a magnetic mine. There were few casualties but the damage to her hull was so severe she was out of action for three years.

On rejoining the home fleet in 1942 she was still the largest and most powerful cruiser in the Royal Navy and most importantly she was equipped with the most advanced radar systems. HMS Belfast was immediately called into action and played a crucial role in protecting the arctic convoys, Russia’s supply route throughout the war. Most notably in her role during the Battle of North Cape which saw the sinking of the German battle cruiser Scharnhorst and the loss of all but 36 of her 1,963 crew. HMS Belfast remained protecting the arctic convoys until 1944 when she spent five weeks supporting the D-Day landings and reportedly fired one of the first shots on D-Day itself.

After the Second World War HMS Belfast played an active role in the Korean War from 1950-1952 working with other Allied Forces to support the retreating American and South Korean troops. Her final years were spent performing peace-keeping duties until she was retired from service in 1963.

As early as 1967 the Imperial War Museum had been investigating the possibility of preserving a Second World War cruiser. This led to the formation of a trust, headed up by one of HMS Belfast’s former captains Rear-Admiral Sir Morgan Morgan-Giles. After some years the trust was successful and HMS Belfast was brought to London opening to the public on Trafalgar Day, 21 October 1971. Today she is the last remaining vessel of her type – one of the largest and most powerful light cruisers ever built.

Further information about the preserved HMS Belfast and how to visit her here:
https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/hms-belfast

HMS Belfast preserved at London
belfast-at-london1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Re: HMS Belfast history

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Yes always busy with members taking photo's inside her :idea:

I have loads of pictures of her if I can figure out how to extract them ..........this one fell out of my peoples file :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

She was the third RN ship I saw, as a Chicago O'Hare to London Heathrow flight was on approach in 1984. I about squashed my nose gawking at her from overhead. Given that she was one of the first of my scratch built ship models (replaced by a much better version) and is a very handsome cruiser, I had to see her!!

The other 2 RN units were GLAMORGEN and FIFE at 1010(?) dock in Spring 68, on my way to CONUS from Nam. They looked quite impressive from dockside. :) DFO
jbryce1437

Yes, she is a great sight and I am very pleased that they have managed to keep her.
When I joined Ark Royal at Devonport in February 1964, HMS Belfast was in one of the basins. She was in reserve and had been an accommodation for the crew of HMS Eagle, which was just completing an extended refit. Ark was having a short refit and most of our crew were in Drake Barracks, but HMS Blake was used as accommodation ship for some. I think the next time that I saw Belfast was when she was part of the reserve fleet HMS Bellerophon at Portsmouth.

Belfast is at the bottom of this photo which shows Eagle alongside the wall and Ark Royal in 10 Dock, so I presume the photo is dated 1964.
devonport dockyard-(1960's.).jpg
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Very nice picture giving the "flavor" of the RN and dockyard at the time! I notice a Monitor (ROBERTS??) in the background, too. :) Thanks for sharing! DFO
limeybiker

Unread post by limeybiker »

I assume one of the other carriers is Hermes, with the 984 radar, as Victorious, the only other one, with the 984, was out in the Far Flung, would the other one be Centaur?

Belfast was my last ship when she was Reserve Fleet HMS Bellerophon, she followed me up the River Thames to London.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
Sunny Ocala, FL 34476 USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/[/b]
jbryce1437

limeybiker wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:35 pm I assume one of the other carriers is Hermes, with the 984 radar, as Victorious, the only other one, with the 984, was out in the Far Flung, would the other one be Centaur?

Belfast was my last ship when she was Reserve Fleet HMS Bellerophon, she followed me up the River Thames to London.
Not sure of all the names of all the ships in the photo but when this was posted on the old forum they were all identified by the member 'Powers' who had access to all of the port movements at Devonport. Roberts is the Monitor up the trot, Lofoten is in the dock to the left - I think she was being converted for helicopter landing training and may have been replaced by RFA Engadine. Not sure if the farthest carrier is Bulwark or Albion.
I went sailing a couple of times in Devonport and sailed around Roberts and her guns were awesome, one of which (formerly mounted on HMS Resolution) is now mounted at the Imperial War Museum in Lambeth. Roberts had been used as an accommodation ship as part of HMS Orion before she was put up the trot.
Retired since 2002
limeybiker

Thanks Jim, I may have downloaded the photograph when it was on WNSF, I will have to check my archives, I did not have it under Devonport however.
I came across a neat photograph of Belfast out in the Far East just recently, I will post it when I find it.
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
limeybiker

This is the photograph I found, the other ships listed are interesting.

Belfast_C35 Somers_DD-947_USS Gurke_DD-783 USS Onslought_F204 Melbourne_R21 HMAS at Sembawang Singapore 4th to 13th April 1961
  • Up Spirits
    It’s Tot Time
    somewhere in the World
Yours Aye
Barry and Sharon Lockyer
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

I was extremely fortunate in having unbridled access to her whilst under the wing of one of the last remaining Gentlemen In existence , and went from bridge to keel [ almost] and cant remember a day I enjoyed as much in many a years research of ships , and I can heartily recommend the "White Burgundy" on sale in a near by hostelry known by those who frequent this neck of the woods [ it took a few hours of walking to sober "mam sarb" up enough to get back home :o

I unequivocally recommend the engine rooms and mech work shops for both access and interest [ I must have photographed every control down there] if you have any leaning towards engineering......... well its like " Harrods Toy dept " to a kid so make it a must . :oops: again the same cry "all on WNSF" out of reach

If you are planning to view her I guarantee you'l enjoy it and the staff were all to willing to accommodate interested visitors , and if the grandchildren are in tow theres plenty to keep them interested in the souvenir shop and cafe .......well worth the effort I assure you and it needs all of our support to keep her intact and presentable so please make the effort .......you won't regret it .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Imperial War Museum - HMS Belfast: RAF Duxford”