HMS Belfast - History

Post here about the Imperial War Museum and its exhibits
jbryce1437

Re: HMS Belfast - History

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Yes Ivor, unfortunately I am P7R (unfit for service afloat) at the moment and - due to my son being at work tomorrow, I have to take my grandson to the Pompey match ;-)

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Sorry for us , great for you though , hope you enjoy the event which I'm sure you will .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

for a long time I have harboured the idea of having a rotating web cam up the mast of HMSB; when I first proposed this there was scant enthusiasm for the idea, complications with power feed, complications over web connections and all that sort of think.
Recently Pelican sent me a link to the web cam up the mast of Warrior at Portsmouth which included the mighty QE carrier passing. I passed this to the IWM where there has been an opposite reception to the idea to that above. I hope we might be able to take this to its conclusion and have a panning camera installed so that the ship, river, tower Bridge, visiting warships or cruise ships (even oligarchs trophy yachts) can all be seen in real time.
watch this space, I hope we might secure a direct link for the forum.
tim
ivorthediver

Go for it Tim , it surprised me how cheap they are when we had to fit various fixed cameras which we are able to view anywhere we go on our phones , not exactly what your refereeing to but same principle .
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

I hope the idea comes to fruition Tim. I am sure it will be a good advert and, hopefully, help to get a better footfall.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
James b

Unread post by James b »

When a visiting ship is along side Belfast , as long as it does not break the official secrets act , by showing what the other ship has up her mast .. it would be a excellent idea Tim
Raleigh..Cambridge..St Vincent ..CHICHESTER.Bellerophon {H.M.S BELFAST} ..Excellent .Pembroke...MOHAWK ..SCYLLA
R.N.H Stonehouse ..Rooke.[ARLINGHAM]...Drake..
Discharged 1st Dec 75
timlewin

if it does they better put a blanket over it! or I guess we could always switch off temporarily. Ships with secrets should stay away from public places, Belfast is open to all, everyone brings a phone or camera, anyone can take their own pictures, possible with a Huawei camera......self downloading to the Central Committee.
ivorthediver

Succinctly put..... Tim, well done
timlewin

the idea at present is to locate the camera on the stbd side of the foremast on the little platform adjacent to the small nav radar scanner (see picture) about 3/4 way up the lattice. This will pan through approx. 150 degrees taking in the shore-side from the Horniman pub to the Mayor's beehive offices south of Tower bridge. This will therefore include both London & Tower bridges, the entire pool and of course most of the ship's length/deck/bridge etc and anyone alongside. The rest of the circle would be only offices but obscured by the lattice itself anyway. still some issues to be overcome with cabling and connections but these are just technical details. We are using Banham's Security to do this for us. Then once all is worked out there is the slightly tickley detail of sponsorship but until we know the bill its not really practical to go out on this.
Watch this space....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Thanks for the update Tim , and look forward to its installation in due course all being well . :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Imperial War Museum - HMS Belfast: RAF Duxford”