JFS scale models

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
designeraccd

JFS scale models

Unread post by designeraccd »

I scratch built my first ship models in 1959, using information I gleaned from "newly discovered" book called Jane's Fighting Ships! WOW, a true cornucopia of pics and info all about the whole world's warships..... :o Therefore I used their recently adopted scale of 1"=128' (1:1536) which I could trace and then transfer into 3D balsawood, etc.

I still have 5 of the first 12 models (all cruisers) that I built then. I rebuilt all 5 of the survivors to "clean" them up, plus enhance the accuracy. Bottom picture shows all 5, altho the model became the Peruvian ALM. GRAU, last gun cruiser in service. The amount of information available now compared to 1959 is virtually night and day. As the saying goes: "practice makes perfect". 577 practices later I'm fairly good at it, well actually more because about 25 or so didn't measure up and were "scraped"..... :lol:

It is a fairly inexpensive way to build any ship model one wishes. Info, pics and drawings are now available to draw up virtually any modern (1880s up) warship in the 1:1536 scale. Proportional dividers are extremely useful for converting from a larger scale into the old JFS one. Plastic curves help accurately define hull curves onto the plan view. Given the current rage for "stealth" hull shapes, even side views have curves! It has been fun over the years.......DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Re: JFS scale models

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Ok I know when I'm beat Dennis , the smallest lattice mast I built was on HMS TROUBRIDGE and from memory it took me a week to do just that , after many attempts .

The next was HMS VICTORIOUS but being bigger took only a few days , but by far the worst to size , cut , form , glue , rig , paint .

I think my major build days are numbered now,..... and I am more suited to 1/25 scale at present ,... if I'm honest.

Like you Dennis I am tooled up and willing , but alas ....not so able .....or patient now... but still manage to indulge my favourite hobby and constantly seem to be repairing past favourites :oops:

Well done you . 8-)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
designeraccd

Thanks! I tend to avoid ships with lattice masts now; the GARABALDI was the best I ever did....over a 2 day period. Twas hard on the eyes even then!!

The RODNEY had been sitting, incomplete hull, since early 60s. I finally finished her a couple of years back....no rush. :o DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Well I suspected you had a sadistic streak now I can see why .........that would make me lose patience not promote it .......sorry..... to fiddly for my sides of bacon to get to grips with Dennis .....but good luck to you pal just not my idea of cultivating skills other than total frustration :(
designeraccd

Reaches one patience n PRECISION!! ;) Now if only my camera could focus on these tiny models better.... :oops: DFO
DonBoyer

Unread post by DonBoyer »

I know better than to work in the small scale like Dennis. Simply cannot do it. So I stick to 1/350 and larger... :geek:

1/350 HMS King George V
DC.11.11.09 006.jpg

And my 1/350 USS Missouri
PM.10.12.09 009A.jpg

My 1/76 scale USS Tang...a scale I can live with.

TANG142.jpg

My only foray into the smaller 1/700 scale, the USS Baltimore. This build convinced me not to do this again.... :D

Balt.Model.3.14.10 005.jpg
Don G. Boyer

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled."(Richard Feynman)
ivorthediver

Excellent Don , well done you they certainly look the Dogs Rowlocks , a credit to you .
designeraccd

All Dons' HUGE models are finely finished; very nice indeed. Why even his lil "shipyard" is neatly arranged whereas mine tends to have lil bits of balsa and balsa dust from time to time!! Also, mine has tubes of glue, lamp wire, pins and bottles of paint here n there. Plus, always a ruler and my proportional dividers...... :lol: DFO
ivorthediver

Ahhh.... but in fairness Dennis , yours is work in progress not finished articles are they , so keep at it, no slacking off admiring Dons creations you haven't got time . ;) ....and where are these proportional dividers you keep on about :?:
designeraccd

They are visible in both of the ANDREA DORIA photos...the bright, aluminum "thing"!! Not to worry, she was finished.

Can you ID the bare hull alongside her?? ;) DFO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”