Terence Thornton Lewin

Forum Information and Background (Links to books)
timlewin

Re: Terence Thornton Lewin

Unread post by timlewin »

I remember the book launch as well mainly because I failed to reach it, there was snow across East Sussex and the trains were all cancelled, there was not a huge amount of it, a couple of inches but it made the roads impassable given the time needed to reach Central London so I had to ask Beach Seakins, RN diver/officer and former attache from our Embassy in Moscow to take my place.

much more on "Lewin Legacy" monuments with Chalky when we get to the end of August and I return to my desk full time.

tim
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Look forward to hearing more Tim .

Regards Ivor
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Karen

Unread post by Karen »

Tim, your father made a wonderful portrait, was a pleasure to see the painting..
514F5765-3B94-4DE2-A458-14CFB04799C2.jpeg
6E799B94-B1EC-4983-A7C6-CBB5B0322303.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There’s Nothing A British Boy Cannot Do
timlewin

Today is TTLs birthday, 19th November; I recommend a brandy & ginger (Horse's neck) to toast him, "Sleepin thar below"...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

timlewin wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:39 pm Today is TTLs birthday, 19th November; I recommend a brandy & ginger (Horse's neck) to toast him, "Sleepin thar below"...
Sadly missed Tim, I will toast him later tonight.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Me to Tim , Didn't realise that was his tipple to ,though , never mind I'll brace myself with a double , never met the gentleman , only his son , who clearly has his trates :) , and principles ......as you say Jim ...and a loss to humanity .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Tim , The Cap'n might be sleepin' thar below ... but "slung atween the roundshot" ee ain't . Here's to the memory.

DaveH
timlewin

thanks Chaps; looking at the Noakes portrait which hangs in the BRNC at Dartmouth you can see he is wearing his Garter Regalia. there can only be 24 members of the Order so no new Knight can be appointed until one of the existing shuffles off their mortal coil. The kit, Star & Chain etc belongs to the Crown, the appointments are made by the Monarch, not the Govt, the last order to be free of politics. When TTL died I was "invited" to return his Star & Chain, you can see in the portrait, to the Queen. in reality I delivered them to the Chancellors office first and then went to Buckingham Palace for tea with HMQ. it was clear that he had enjoyed a warm friendship with both the Queen and of course Prince Philip over many years, with Prince Philip going right back to Jan 1941. I am sure the HRH was there for the camel-riding party.
timlewin

an additional Garter thought; as a KG you get a number, the number given to TTL was last used by "Black Dick" Howe, Admiral Lord Howe for who the battleship was named, the last Naval Knight before him. I let you look up Adm. Lord Howe yourselves. He was very proud of this fact.
Tim
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Tim,We had the pleasure of your fathers company,when we 'raised' his Rear Admiral's flag on HMNZS Blackpool on Monday October 5th 1970, during the transit to Fiji for their Independence Celebrations,I believe from my shakey memory,he was on RFA Olmeda at the time...Regards Brian.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Posts Dedicated to T.T. Lewin”