Terence Thornton Lewin

Forum Information and Background (Links to books)
Pelican

Re: Terence Thornton Lewin

Unread post by Pelican »

Tim and I exchanged emails earlier regarding hockey in the R.N. but Tim included this piece about his father which of course is more topical currently:

"Talking of hockey, at which TTL was also no slouch, a chap (Army Col.) asked me about his rugger career a couple of days ago, I found this on the net which might find its way to the forum? That 1948 victory against the army was played at Portsmouth on a field covered with snow, TTL was for the rest of his life unsure about the winning try ( a single point win) as no one could see the lines but he knew better than to argue with the ref. I gave his stuff, in the photos, to the NMM and the photo of him and the team lined up post final whistle shaking hands with the king, this confirms the snow!"

Please see:

Lewin – T T L (Admiral of the Fleet, Navy President and Player)
237th player to be capped by the Royal Navy Rugby Union
4 caps
Played against the Army in 1947, 1948
Played against the Royal Air Force 1947, 1948

He stood down as President of the Royal Navy Rugby Union at the Annual General Meeting held on 1st March 1985. Captain Mike Pearey, as Chairman of the RNRU said these words:

"Our President has made mention of many who have given much to Navy Rugby. But of course his contribution has been greater than any ones, and this is the last occasion on which he will preside at our AGM.

Capped on the wing for Hampshire and the Royal Navy just after the War, Terry Lewin has remained an enthusiastic supporter ever since. Traditionally, the President of the RNRU was always the Second Sea Lord. However, such was Terry Lewin’s enthusiasm that, in 1972, when he was VCNS, the RNRU invited him to take on the job. He has been our President ever since, despite demanding jobs as CinCFleet, CinCNavHome, First Sea Lord and CDS. HIs interest never waned, his support has been immense, and we are very sorry that he now feels it right that he should relinquish office. I know I speak for you all, and all involved with Navy Rugby, when I say to Lord Lewin and to Lady Lewin: ‘Thank you for all your support and friendship through the years. Good luck for the future, and we hope to see you, certainly at TWickenham in the future, and perhaps at Cambridge too. Whenever you can make it you will be assured of the warmest welcomes’.”

Full article at - https://navyrugby.co.uk/lewin/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Yes they broke the mould after him David , no one else could claim that status
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The people of Dover have honoured one of the RN's great, late 20th Century leaders.

A Blue Plaque marks the birthplace of Admiral Sir Terence Lewin who served from WW2 until Chief of Defence Staff during the Falklands conflict.

The people of Dover have honoured one of the Navy’s greatest 20th-Century Leaders.
A Blue Plaque now marks the birthplace of Admiral of the Fleet Sir Terence ‘Terry’ Lewin, who steered the nation’s armed forces through the Falklands War.

On the 103rd anniversary of his birth, members of the Dover Society, civic dignitaries, clergy and Dover Sea Cadets gathered at the admiral’s birthplace – today a priests’ house for neighbouring St Paul’s RC Church – in Maison Dieu Road.

Sir Terry was the most senior of a remarkable triumvirate of outstanding naval officers in key positions during the 1982 conflict (First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Henry Leach and Commander-in-Chief Fleet Admiral Sir John Fieldhouse).

Sir Henry famous told Mrs Thatcher that Britain could – and should – act to liberate the islands, words echoed by the Chief of Defence Staff who was half a world away in New Zealand at the time of the Argentine invasion.

On his return to the UK, Sir Terry was equally resolute to the War Cabinet: "We must be prepared to take losses. But we are not going to lose. The only thing which will make us lose is if you lose your nerve."

On June 14 1982, both admirals were proven right after the short, but bitter battle to liberate the Falklands.
Victory alone would earn Sir Terry a place in history, but it barely scratches the surface of a naval career spanning six decades.

He joined the Royal Navy a year before World War 2 was declared in September 1939, served in HMS Belfast's (very brief) first commission – she was knocked out by a mine for many months – then struck up a lifelong friendship with Prince Philip of Greece (the future Duke of Edinburgh) aboard battleship HMS Valiant.

His wartime service took him to the hottest (and coldest) hotspots including the Arctic (he took part in 12 Russian convoys) and the relief of the Malta (Operation Pedestal) in the summer of 1942.

After the war he commanded the destroyer Corunna, the Royal Yacht Britannia, the Dartmouth Frigate Squadron and the carrier HMS Hermes. When the Falklands were invaded he was the nation’s senior military figure, sitting in the cabinet of then Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

He retired from the military the following year, after victory had been delivered and spent his retirement championing naval history and heritage (he was especially interested in Captain Cook). He died in 1999 aged 78.

His son Tim was especially moved by the plaque dedication.“The Sea Cadets provided a side party to pipe the unveiling, a gesture Terry would have been delighted with,” he said.“When he was sent home after being diagnosed with terminal cancer my niece, who had been a Sea Cadet, piped him back into his house.”

Source - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... d-in-dover
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Gannet Driver

Unread post by Gannet Driver »

Proud to have served under him in HMS Hermes (1966/1967). His style of leadership was superb, I have quoted his example on many management and supervisory training courses.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Pelican wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:26 pm The people of Dover have honoured one of the RN's great, late 20th Century leaders.

A Blue Plaque marks the birthplace of Admiral Sir Terence Lewin who served from WW2 until Chief of Defence Staff during the Falklands conflict.

The people of Dover have honoured one of the Navy’s greatest 20th-Century Leaders.
A Blue Plaque now marks the birthplace of Admiral of the Fleet Sir Terence ‘Terry’ Lewin, who steered the nation’s armed forces through the Falklands War.

On the 103rd anniversary of his birth, members of the Dover Society, civic dignitaries, clergy and Dover Sea Cadets gathered at the admiral’s birthplace – today a priests’ house for neighbouring St Paul’s RC Church – in Maison Dieu Road.

Sir Terry was the most senior of a remarkable triumvirate of outstanding naval officers in key positions during the 1982 conflict (First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Henry Leach and Commander-in-Chief Fleet Admiral Sir John Fieldhouse).

Sir Henry famous told Mrs Thatcher that Britain could – and should – act to liberate the islands, words echoed by the Chief of Defence Staff who was half a world away in New Zealand at the time of the Argentine invasion.

On his return to the UK, Sir Terry was equally resolute to the War Cabinet: "We must be prepared to take losses. But we are not going to lose. The only thing which will make us lose is if you lose your nerve."

On June 14 1982, both admirals were proven right after the short, but bitter battle to liberate the Falklands.
Victory alone would earn Sir Terry a place in history, but it barely scratches the surface of a naval career spanning six decades.

He joined the Royal Navy a year before World War 2 was declared in September 1939, served in HMS Belfast's (very brief) first commission – she was knocked out by a mine for many months – then struck up a lifelong friendship with Prince Philip of Greece (the future Duke of Edinburgh) aboard battleship HMS Valiant.

His wartime service took him to the hottest (and coldest) hotspots including the Arctic (he took part in 12 Russian convoys) and the relief of the Malta (Operation Pedestal) in the summer of 1942.

After the war he commanded the destroyer Corunna, the Royal Yacht Britannia, the Dartmouth Frigate Squadron and the carrier HMS Hermes. When the Falklands were invaded he was the nation’s senior military figure, sitting in the cabinet of then Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

He retired from the military the following year, after victory had been delivered and spent his retirement championing naval history and heritage (he was especially interested in Captain Cook). He died in 1999 aged 78.

His son Tim was especially moved by the plaque dedication.“The Sea Cadets provided a side party to pipe the unveiling, a gesture Terry would have been delighted with,” he said.“When he was sent home after being diagnosed with terminal cancer my niece, who had been a Sea Cadet, piped him back into his house.”

Source - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... d-in-dover
A fitting tribute and very well deserved.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Posts Dedicated to T.T. Lewin”