Happy Birthday Thread

Want some off topic chat? Pull up a bar stool and make yourself at home here
timlewin

Re: Happy Birthday Thread

Unread post by timlewin »

Happy Birthday to HRH Prince Philip, one of Andrew's own. I always remember his birthday because many years ago when the Siege Memorial was being constructed in Malta the project ran out of money (don't they always) He and dad did a double act in the theatre of the IWM based on their combined Mediterranean experiences and Malta Convoys to an invited audience specially selected for the size of their wallets.
HRH told about how because of his Greek ancestry and Greece's noncom status in the War with Germany he had been kept away from the fighting, he was sent to serve in the Far Flung which in 1940 was still peaceful. On June 10th Italy declared war and set about attacking Greece. The Admiralty lost no time is hoiking him back and reposting him to Valiant in the Med where he joined TTL in the gun room.

Their speeches were recorded, I have them on old cassette tapes but if anyone is interested I will try to get the IWM to put them to a CD/USB for me and add them to the forum. They added to the show with lots of slides from the IWM and the recorded cinema doco by Capt. Anthony Kimmins who accompanied the famous Pedestal convoy (TTL was there for that one, HRH was there for the Battle of Matapan).

Happy Birthday Sir!
10 June `1921
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Wishing a very Happy 99th Birthday to Prince Philip. Up spirits and splice the mainbrace.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

I'll add to that Jim , and please let s know more about the tape possibility as I would love to hear them ........ :D
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

if push comes to shove I can make it up from the cassettes but it ill be much better to ask the Museum to copy for me their digital recording Ivor so hold hard, and hope I can get this quickly. It might be more difficult to reconstruct the slides in the right order. Actually its should be not that different from the Ch4 doco about pedestal. but in that HRH was absent and we should include his memories too
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thank you Tim ,I look forward to hearing from you regarding this hidden benefit :D
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
jbryce1437

Wishing a very Happy Birthday to Jim the Brush (Vegaskip). Up spirits and splice the mainbrace 🍷🎂🍺🍻🍾⚓️

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
Karen

Unread post by Karen »

Happy birthday to our dear Jim the brush, may you have a lovely day an thoroughly spoilt.🎂🎉🍾
There’s Nothing A British Boy Cannot Do
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

I was going to Second that Jim [Mod] with a tot sal;ute , now I will have to go Splicers after Karen . :) :)

Happy Birthday Brushmate , as I raise another to your continued Health , Happiness and future Brushstrokes . Cheers
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

Happy Birthday

Jim the Brush

Hope you are having a nice day
Little h
jbryce1437

Happy Birthday Jon - Blackbat242, hope you have a great day

Jim
Retired since 2002
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Wardroom”