RN Frigates: Type 26 City Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
ivorthediver

Re: RN Frigates: Type 26 City Class

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Sorry Harry , I thought you had found something devious about to go down that I was oblivious to , so thanks for the clarification their and yes I can understand your comment now .....sorry
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

From Savetheroyalnavy.org
The First Sea Lord has just announced 8th Type 26 frigate to be named HMS London
1. Glasgow
2. Cardiff
3. Belfast
4. Birmingham
5, 6, 7 as yet unnamed
8. London

Only the first 3 ships have actually been ordered. At the current rate of construction/ordering expect to see the 8th and final Type 26 frigate HMS London join the fleet sometime between 2036-38. Some members of her first ship’s company may have not even been born yet!
The T26 is a 20 year programme that could and should be delivered in 12 years, if only the MoD would write cheques faster.
HMS Daring, the first Type 45 destroyer, was laid down March 2003 and accepted by RN in December 2008, a build time of 5 years and 9 months. The Type 45 was arguably more complex and innovative than the T26, with 80% of its equipment new to RN service.
Some older info:
https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/making ... TGZo2CSQ0g
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Why am I not surprised David :?:

Perhaps these irreligious sects have never been in a situation where they were clenching their buttocks and when danger had passed been thankful for the outcome :(
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Last Type 26 To Be Named Announced As HMS Edinburgh
On the eve of St Andrew's Day, it is the last of the eight Type 26 vessels to be named.
https://www.forces.net/news/remaining-t ... Q9HjuHmQNo
We now have a full set of names for the class:
1. Glasgow
2. Cardiff
3. Belfast
4. Birmingham
5. Sheffield
6. Newcastle
7. Edinburgh
8. London
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

New techniques used in designing the Type 26 frigate
Significant investment in computer technology has been made to support the detailed design and production of the Type 26 frigate. Computer-Aided Design (CAD) systems have been in use for many years but Virtual Reality software is now core to the design process.
The complete design story of the Type 26 is long and convoluted but here we will focus on the use of new technology in the detailed design work during the “Demonstration Phase” which ran between April 2015 and June 2017. Although the design is now very mature, work continues to fine tune some aspects and support the manufacturing phase. There is a significant task for the design teams to adapt the Type 26 for Australian and Canadian requirements.
Continues at: https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/new-te ... 7t5rIO5r48
[They will be using 3D printers to produce them next :) ]
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Dave , look at Spearhead Class USN thread ....... Laid Down , launched , trialled and commissioned into USN in 12 MONTHS . Doesn't say much for our efforts and the 26's :oops:
ivorthediver

Well gents whilst I readily agree with the labour / time constraint savings possible using this type of system it is none the less as likely to result in another "Norwegian Defect scenario" if the cost cutters override safety issues AGAIN, and reduce metal thickness in ships plate thickness / or bypass the standards laid down for a "safe ship" outcome ....all as pointed out in the Norwegian Frigate sinking recently discussed on that thread .

Interesting references have been brought to our attention , indeed to our new carriers as well , where the mounting blocks on the prop shaft brake box fittings [ all from this very same CAD VTS system] were found to have been faulty due to incorrect design defects perpetuated by time and it was not until Sea trails that it was discovered and then during the design process the ten fixing bolts were reduced from 10 to 6 off set to accommodate fitting / manufacture .

This was originally blamed on lobster pots fouling the shaft ......then a poorly seated gasket in the prop shaft head which due to its offset vibration cracked the mounting blocks as I understood the documentary to identify !

So as I said in that post ....lets not get hysterical about the benefits of this wondrous system before the corners that are cut to achieve these savings are FULLY investigated and avoided , and a tad more thought be applied to vulnerable areas where this very cost cutting nearly resulted in a serious defect in out showcase Carrier. :x
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

DaveH wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:51 pm Dave , look at Spearhead Class USN thread ....... Laid Down , launched , trialled and commissioned into USN in 12 MONTHS . Doesn't say much for our efforts and the 26's :oops:
Dave surprised at the point you are making. It appears to be a chalk and cheese or apples and oranges comparison?
Have you checked the objectives and capabilities of the Spearheads and F26s also the complexities of the latter?
Another consideration is the defence budgets available to the USA and UK.
And another is trying to substane the viability of the UK shipbuilding industry.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”