RN Frigates: Type 26 City Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
jbryce1437

Re: RN Frigates: Type 26 City Class

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

The longer the period from design to commissioning results in more obsolescent equipment being fitted.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

jbryce1437 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:05 pm The longer the period from design to commissioning results in more obsolescent equipment being fitted.

Jim
Or the opposite Jim. These days hulls are designed for updated equipment to be installed in the future. As ever the problem is the budget - we simply do not have the money hence for instance empty spaces in the Darings.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Building HMS Glasgow – the first Type 26 Frigate
It’s early days in the construction of the first ‘city class’ Type 26 frigate, HMS Glasgow. Here we take an overview of her manufacture and the Clyde shipyards where she is being built.
Continues at - https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/buildi ... ADg4VuCxLA
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Lord West has asked if there is any plan to accelerate the delivery of Type 26 frigates?

Lord Howe says "the MoD has no plans to change the schedule. The first Type 26 ship, HMS Glasgow, will enter service with the Royal Navy in 2027"

"We are taking 8 years to build the first Type 26 frigate, and then delivering one every 18 months - 2 years.
We cannot match or should aspire to behave like China, but as a measure of our decline, they are building almost the equivalent of the entire Royal Navy every year."
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

David , Seven years before we see the First one . Politicians are like Carthorses .... blinkered and they all know better than the Defence Advisors . :( During that period the government of the day could change twice , we could have many new Defence Secretary's and the funding / thinking changed so many times nobody will remember how many we planned to build anyway . We are , IMO , becoming a second rate nation who puts Defence way way down the agenda , that is until someone gets the message that the threats that they just talk about are becoming reality , by which time it will be way too late and we become totally reliant on our Commonwealth Navies and the US to bail us out . Meanwhile , our Navy becomes smaller , recruitment founders , the ships we have get older or a laid up to keep two """Supercarriers""" at Sea , but only one at a time.

What a way to run a Navy :x
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

DaveH wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:37 pm David , Seven years before we see the First one . Politicians are like Carthorses .... blinkered and they all know better than the Defence Advisors . :( During that period the government of the day could change twice , we could have many new Defence Secretary's and the funding / thinking changed so many times nobody will remember how many we planned to build anyway . We are , IMO , becoming a second rate nation who puts Defence way way down the agenda , that is until someone gets the message that the threats that they just talk about are becoming reality , by which time it will be way too late and we become totally reliant on our Commonwealth Navies and the US to bail us out . Meanwhile , our Navy becomes smaller , recruitment founders , the ships we have get older or a laid up to keep two """Supercarriers""" at Sea , but only one at a time.

What a way to run a Navy :x
Could not agree more Dave. The American's quite rightly see China as their main threat and have pivoted [assume that is the right in word] to the Pacific and in effect told us to row our own boat via NATO. Check latest state of Germany's navy and airforce due lack of funding. If the EU get their way towards their own army etc. this will further dilute NATO's effectiveness. Meanwhile routing RN ships, including the Q.E. in future, via the S. China sea to demonstrate our rights is all very well but perhaps the expense might well be better spent on Arctic and Black sea trips. Getting back on topic as ever its down to money. P.S. At least NATO made an effort - https://www.rferl.org/a/nato-set-to-sta ... 61371.html - and will do so again 2019.
P.P.S. - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/french- ... DyzJ4fN0tE
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Could not agree with you both more :(

I hope you are wrong naturally but the government cant even agree on Brexit [ which I thought was cut and dried following the referendum , but no the city boys dont like the serfs peeing on THEIR bonfire hence all this sludge :evil:

I admire the USA and their thoughts on self protection before the shit hits the fan ...not get themselves in the position of ....".oh what was that load bang ?.......who can we send ........er we aint got nowt to send ....oh bother" ;) ...

We are rapidly getting to a position of apathy and if that prat gets his way we will all join hands and sing songs as we walk around Trafalgar .

ACT don't dither......or their will be nothing left worth protecting get ourselves sorted and hulls on the water instead of cycle tracks around the city ....its embarrassing being British now .....and I never thought I'd say that :oops:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Canadian Type 26 Frigate contract awarded after legal challenge dismissed

The Type 26 Global Combat Ship has been officially chosen as the design for the Canadian Surface Combatant despite a legal challenge from a rival bidder, with the contract having been awarded this morning.
Canada follows Australia in selecting the Type 26 Frigate.

Continues - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/canadia ... SBJw9fT3i8
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Excellent news David , thanks for the heads up .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
TerraNova

Unread post by TerraNova »

It will be interesting to see what the Type 26 "Commonwealth" frigate will look like in the three navies. It some ways the intended global role suggests that they are a new cruiser type vessel. They will have long endurance, capabilities for independent operations, and interoperability with NATO and Pacific allies. The gestation period will present challenges as technologies and world events for not remain static from now to the early 2030s when the last ships are delivered.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”