RN Frigates: Type 26 City Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
ivorthediver

Re: RN Frigates: Type 26 City Class

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thank you David for a very informative and detailed analysis of this constantly changing project ,
but what will we ACTUALLY end up with and when must be the question on everyones lips :( :(
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Next batch of Type 26 Frigates to be ordered ‘in the early 2020s’

The procurement of the Batch 2 Type 26 Frigates is expected to happen “in the early 2020s” according to the Government.

Luke Pollard, the Shadow Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs recently asked via a written Parliamentary question:

“To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, when he plans to order the next batch of Type 26 frigates.”

Pollard was directed to a statement made earlier in the year by Baroness Goldie which states:
Continues at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/next-ba ... EPiLZUFlmY
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Type 26 Frigate HMS Glasgow looks shipshape on the Clyde

See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/type-26 ... yMrdN1rSDc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

F26 UPDATE
HMS Glasgow, currently being built on the river running through her namesake, has now had her bow section attached.

Eight of these ships will replace the eight dedicated anti-submarine Type 23 frigates which will reach the end of their active lives by the mid 2030s.

In addition to the Clyde built Type 26, five Rosyth built Type 31 general purpose frigates are intended to replace the general-purpose Type 23s currently in service and also coming towards the end of their long careers.

According to the Royal Navy:
“Just over half of HMS Glasgow is now complete or under construction, out of eight planned vessels in the class (all are named, three have been ordered, two are in build at Govan – HMS Cardiff is No.2).

Once the fore and aft sections are complete they will be joined on the hard in front of the block hall, before the bridge/main mast are craned into place. The completed ship will then be ‘launched’ by being lowered into the Clyde via a barge, then towed downstream to BAE’s yard at Scotstoun to complete fitting out.

The 26s replace the ‘souped-up’ anti-submarine Type 23s which will begin retiring from service later this decade after more than 30 years on patrol, while still to come are five Type 31 general duty frigates which have yet to be ordered/named and will replace their five Type 26 counterparts like for like.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Stern block of HMS Glasgow ready to be joined to aft

The stern block of HMS Glasgow was moved into place this week on the Clyde ready to be joined to her aft section.

Eight of these ships will replace the eight dedicated anti-submarine Type 23 frigates which will reach the end of their active lives by the mid 2030s.

In addition to the Clyde built Type 26, five Rosyth built Type 31 general purpose frigates are intended to replace the general-purpose Type 23s currently in service and also coming towards the end of their long careers.

According to the Royal Navy:

“Just over half of HMS Glasgow is now complete or under construction, out of eight planned vessels in the class (all are named, three have been ordered, two are in build at Govan – HMS Cardiff is No.2).

Once the fore and aft sections are complete they will be joined on the hard in front of the block hall, before the bridge/main mast are craned into place. The completed ship will then be ‘launched’ by being lowered into the Clyde via a barge, then towed downstream to BAE’s yard at Scotstoun to complete fitting out.”

For photo and video go to:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/stern-b ... 2dxtzcFKTU
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Visible at the BAE shipyard in Govan, Glasgow.

The first Type 26 Frigate HMS Glasgow and a section of sister-ship HMS Cardiff.
HMS Glasgow will be rolled out of the build hall over the next month or so.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Glimpse of first new Type 26 Frigate in build in Glasgow
April 13, 20215
HMS Glasgow, the first Type 26 Frigate, is starting to look shipshape on the River Clyde.

In a series of fantastic images captured by Paul J Sweeney of HMS Glasgow in build at night, progress on the first in class frigate is very clear to see.

For a little bit of context, Paul Sweeney is a Scottish politician and was the Member of Parliament for Glasgow North East until the last election. More importantly for the purposes of a discussion on shipbuilding, he was formerly employed by BAE in Glasgow. Paul has worked with the APPG for Shipbuilding which published the results of inquiry into the Government’s National Shipbuilding Strategy, taking evidence from a range of maritime security stakeholders and industry.

Continues at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/glimpse ... fQ-nwHgcJ4
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Building HMS Glasgow – the first Type 26 Frigate

It’s early days in the construction of the first ‘city class’ Type 26 frigate, HMS Glasgow. Here we take an overview of her manufacture and the Clyde shipyards where she is being built.

With work on the aircraft carriers in its final phase, Type 26 will become the UK’s core shipbuilding programme for at least the next 18 years, supporting 3,400 shipyard and supply chain jobs. A joint MoD and BAE Systems Maritime (Naval Ships) project team was established in 2010 to deliver what is a complex and very long-term endeavour. The last RN ship of the class, HMS London could still be in service in the 2060s. Although still called frigates due to their primary anti-submarine role, the 6,900-tonne displacement of these large vessels is more in line with light cruisers of the past.

The £3.7 billion order for the first 3 ships was placed on 2nd July 2017 and over £1.1Bn worth of subcontracts have been placed with supply chain companies. This year the Defence Secretary had a great time at events in different cities up and down the nation announcing the names of these ships. The names selected for all eight ships are now public; HMS Glasgow, HMS Cardiff, HMS Belfast, HMS Birmingham, HMS Sheffield, HMS Newcastle, HMS Edinburgh and HMS London. It is quite normal to place orders for warships in batches, but unusual to announce names before the contracts have even been signed.

Continues with plenty of info and images at:
https://www.navylookout.com/building-hm ... BmwSJOojD4

More recent photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/NavyLookout/ph ... 606301050/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The roll out of the forward section of HMS Glasgow at Govan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0kQLKtvaoM&t=6s
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

APRIL 18, 2021 PHOTO ESSAY - GLASGOW

Taking shape – forward section of first Type 26 frigate HMS Glasgow rolled out of build hall
https://www.navylookout.com/taking-shap ... uild-hall/

Frigate build work to be moved if Scotland leaves UK
April 19, 202121
Sources have suggested that the work on the Type 26 Frigates would be moved if Scotland voted for independence

The Type 26 Frigate programme is responsible for just under 2,000 jobs in Scotland.

While it has been long known that the UK doesn’t build complex warships outside of the UK, the extent to which the builders were taking this position wasn’t well known.

Two sources have now stated that alternatives are being explored should BAE have to move the work from the Clyde.

Just so people are aware, the first batch of Type 31 Frigates at Rosyth would likely have been built before Scotland leaves the UK should they vote to, so they’re not entirely relevant here.

Continues at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/frigate ... _ZBOfLh6QY
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”