RN Frigates: Type 26 City Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

RN Frigates: Type 26 City Class

Unread post by Pelican »

The following is intended mainly for new members as former members of WNSF will be aware of these basic details and hopefully all will add up to date information as and when it comes to light.

The Type 26 Global Combat Ship is a 21st Century warship that will replace the Type 23 frigate as the workhorse of the Fleet, undertaking the Royal Navy's three core roles - warfighting, maritime security and international engagement.
The City class will replace 8 of the 13 Type 23 frigates of the Royal Navy and export orders are being sought after by BAE. The programme has been underway since 1998, initially under the name ‘Future Surface Combatant’. The programme was brought forward in the 2008 budget at the expense of Type 45 destroyers 7 and 8.
The original working model for the ship put the length at 141 metres long and gave a displacement close to 7,000 tonnes. In late 2010 it was reported that the specifications had been reduced in order to bring down the cost from £500m to £250-350m per ship. By 2011 new specification details began to emerge of a 5,400 tonne ship emphasising flexibility and modularity. The new design is 149m long, has a top speed of more than 26 knots and accommodation for up to 200 people. It is expected to have 60 days endurance and have a range of 7,000 miles at 15 knots.
It’s no secret that the Type 26 is designed with modularity and flexibility in mind to enhance versatility across a wide range of operations ranging from counter piracy and disaster relief operations to high intensity combat. The final BAE design had a large amidships mission bay instead of the stern well deck featured in previous designs. BAE have commented regarding the mission bay:
Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/the-typ ... -properly/
More articles on the class can be found here - https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/tag/type-26-frigate/
Wiki of course has a lengthy detailed entry at - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_26_frigate
Capability video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC9jqRmBifk
Names of the first 3 ships will be Glasgow, Cardiff and Belfast.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Re: RN Frigates: Type 26 City Class

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thanks for the detail David , lets live in hope that some finally emerge when the in-house scraping ceases .

Have any completion dates been forecast or are they still debating how thin to cut the plate ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:05 pm Thanks for the detail David , lets live in hope that some finally emerge when the in-house scraping ceases .

Have any completion dates been forecast or are they still debating how thin to cut the plate ;)
Things do not improve Ivor, see - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -8zctnqw57
I can post the full article if anyone is interested.
As for Glasgow see - https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/why-wi ... ntil-2027/
Unless anyone else has more up to date info?
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Hmmmmm yes depressing news yet AGAIN ...David we must be the laughing stock of the world at present .

Do you remember that song often sung at the Proms .....let me see how does it go ....ah Yes :- Rule Britannia... Britannia Rules the Waves .....

Britain never never never shall be slaves .....hmmmmmmm got that wrong ....we won't have a Navy to protect us at this rate :!:

I repeat my comment made on the last thread we had on this self same subject I would willingly pay more tax if it got us the navy we need , and stopped giving hand outs to other nations to save their folk but knowing our pussy's in the government it would end up building some god forsaken C--- that a politician got a back hander to promote :evil:

God it makes my blood boil ....still we have got that windfall due any day now... from the Brexit debacle :twisted:

Right I've said my piece now ....i'll try and be a good boy .... :roll:
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has announced that a new Type 26 Frigate will be named HMS Birmingham.
See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/new-typ ... no_cache=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Ahhhh but we need something to fit it on David , any improvement there yet
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

HMS Birmingham will be a great addition to HMS Glasgow, HMS Belfast and HMS Cardiff of the proposed eight in the class. I hope they all get built.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Me to Jim , but if we get them all we may have to build a new dock to accommodate them :roll:
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Defence Secretary announces Devonport will home all new Type 26 frigates
All of the Royal Navy’s next-generation Type 26 frigates will be homed in Devonport, the Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson announced at the Naval Base today.
The eight Type 26 warships will start being delivered to the Royal Navy from the mid-2020s, heralding yet another new era in the role of a base which has played a central role in the defence of the UK for hundreds of years – from the Napoleonic wars to the Falklands Conflict.
The 6,900-tonne frigates will be world-class anti-submarine warships and will provide cutting-edge protection for the likes of the UK’s nuclear deterrent and the Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers, with the ability to conduct a whole range of other operations anywhere in the world.
Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said: “The largest Naval Base in western Europe, Devonport is the lifeblood of Plymouth and is as synonymous with this city as it is with our famous Royal Navy.
Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... or-type-26
[Pompey are not best pleased]
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Today your intrepid reporter was privileged to go on board a Type 26 Frigate (well a bit of one!) No photography permitted but highly impressive, even at this early stage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”