Future Defence of the UK

Make your posts about Naval, together with Joint and Inter Service Execises on this thread. NATO, SEATO, etc.
Pelican

Future Defence of the UK

Unread post by Pelican »

Sir Humphrey
There are a number of implications for the UK from the Iranian strikes on Israel.
Pinstripedline analysis on vital role of Cyprus, lack of UK air defence, speed of official communications and other challenges is now live.
See https://thinpinstripedline.blogspot.com ... uk-of.html
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: Future Defence of the UK

Unread post by Pelican »

Why so many of us were wrong about missile defense

Writing about military spending is difficult.

"With that out of the way, I think the really interesting part of this story is that almost everything the Iranians threw at Israel was intercepted. Drones are slow-moving and easy to shoot down, but ballistic missiles are fast-moving and generally very hard to hit. Yet Israel’s Arrow system, jointly developed with the U.S., had little trouble knocking most of Iran’s ballistic missiles out of the sky — with some interceptions even occurring outside of Earth’s atmosphere."

"There’s no easy solution here, other than simply being aware of these difficulties and trying very hard to counteract them. We pundits should talk to and listen to a variety of experts, not just the loudest and most confident. While recognizing that we don’t have enough time to become experts in everything, we should still try to understand the underlying technologies as best we can, as well as the details of the defense procurement process. And most importantly, in my opinion, we should keep the interests of the nation foremost in our mind, and remember that if the U.S. goes down, whether Democrats or Republicans are in power will hardly matter."

See https://www.noahpinion.blog/p/why-so-ma ... rong-about
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Iran attack and Ukraine war expose growing weakness by West to deter threats

NATO allies risk being outgunned, outmatched and outdone by adversaries such as Russia, Iran, China and North Korea, who have been busy growing their military strength over the past three decades as European nations hollowed out theirs following the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Continues https://news.sky.com/story/iran-attack- ... s-13115991
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout reposted:
Stephen Watson
The world is at least as dangerous as it was during Falklands War when 🇬🇧 spent circa 4% of GDP on defence.
Now half that!
A generational change is needed here and cross-party recognition we need to spend national treasure on our security.
Thanks @thinkdefence for graphic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “International Developments and Joint Service Exercises”