Tribal Class Destroyers

Building a model? Need help with it? Show the work in progress or the completed project, etc.
timlewin

Tribal Class Destroyers

Unread post by timlewin »

if anyone might be interested I have the original builders plans, profile and decks, of HMS Ashanti, I have copied them to PDF (They were 10 feet long) so if any model maker might want a copy I am happy to email them to you, currently they are too big 3-4 mb each, 3 pages, for the forum so private message me and I will email them back.
tim
ivorthediver

Re: Tribal Class Destroyers

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well thank you Tim , thats very kind of you indeed .

I personally have no plans to build one as you may have guessed by previous posts and swap shop , however I an happy to pass them on to any of the membership on Cambridge Model Boat club who might wish to make one .

With few exceptions the majority of modellers nowadays buy a fibreglass hull at 1/96 scale and then build from scratch the remainder .or to the specific style they decide .

You may recall thats how I built my model of HMS Troubridge which was built from the hull class of the destroyer type from which it evolved .

The comments I have made on other posts also confirm this method of building as current and the need for deck detail to complete the model accurately, is invaluable to them .

I would gladly accept this offer [if no one else comes forward] and inform members that this detail exists and is available and from whence it came..... if you agree ,[ but I will understand if you prefer not to ], and that they will have to convert it to the scale of 1/96 or whatever the hull suppliers scale is....but the detail shown would be wonderful and result in a very fine model indeed .

So if no one else wishes to avail themselves of them I can offer them to the club membership :)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
timlewin

Dear Ivor, just revisited this thread, here is the profile aspect, I have the deck plans as well. The direct copies the museum sent me were about 3 metres long so too big to hang on the wall, I presented them to the Loch Ewe museum. I had them scanned by an architects copying service.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timlewin

deck plans
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timlewin

unfortunately the lower deck regions are too big to post being over 5mb. but if anyone is interested I can email them.
tim
ivorthediver

Thank you so much Tim , that is a great set of plans for any experienced modeller to have , and if I here of anyone making her I'll let you know Tim :D

As I have said before many times its this type of info thats priceless to those who want precision detail , so can't thank you enough Tim for your extremely kind action here :)
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

You could build the real thing with those plans 😀

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
timlewin

William Denny of Clyde Bank did!

The NMM has masses of plans, all original like these which can be copied for a price, these were £70 but as quite a few are already digitised these would be less. The chap who curates the plans is a good friend so no problem to introduce anyone.
ivorthediver

I'll bare that in mind Tim , and again many thanks for your help here , I recall the desperation I felt when trying to cobble the outstanding details together , and had it not been for the Forum and its membership who were so willing to help me I would have failed in my task , both to identify the items [ having never seen them before] and the purpose they served ..........this site is a gold mind if you know who to ask :oops:
timlewin

https://johnrhaynes.com/ashanti1.html

This is a link to the web site of premium model maker John Haynes; this is very interesting not just because of the quality of his models but because in his portfolio section (the link is to his Ashanti) he has numerous pics of models under construction in close up detail at very many stages. Well worth a look.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Model Makers Section”