Foreign personnel on HM Ships

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
greendragon

Foreign personnel on HM Ships

Unread post by greendragon »

Someone with bigger knowledge of HMN would explain me the background -legal (and historical)- of having foreign officers on permanent positions on HM ships.
I have seen that on the HMS Bramble fought and was killed together the whole crew of the ship a LT, deputy CO, First Lieutenant who was Norwegian (hired from HMNor Navy? (as seen on the ships KIA list).
While having officers/men from other Allies navies temporally was apparently common as liaison, practicing skills, etc, etc his position was such that he would command the minesweeper in case the Commander would not be able to.
Puzzles me a bit.

gd
jbryce1437

Re: Foreign personnel on HM Ships

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Even from Nelsons time, foreign seamen have served in the Royal Navy. During the Second World War the Royal Navy lost 278 major warships and more than 1,000 small ones. There were 200,000 men (including reserves and marines) in the navy at the start of the war, which rose to 939,000 by the end, many foreign seamen and officers were amongst them, many from countries that had been occcupied by the Nazis, such as Poland, Netherlands and Belgium. On June 7, 1940, thirteen vessels, five aircraft and 500 men from the Royal Norwegian Navy followed the King to the United Kingdom and continued the fight from bases there until the war ended. The number of men was steadily increased as Norwegians living abroad, civilian sailors and men escaping from Norway joined the Royal Norwegian Navy. I presume that, subject to being fluent in the English language, men could be seconded to Royal Navy ships and serve in the equivalent rank.
Even today personnel from Commonwealth countries can enlist in the Royal Navy, subject to meeting the acceptance rules.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
greendragon

Re: Foreign personnel on HM Ships

Unread post by greendragon »

Little is known that the Brits were probably the first nation/state in early 19 century in which a Black sailor was given a post of commander of a HM man-of-war .
He grew up from ranks, and finally a HM Governor of Caribbean has appointed him as commander of a brig-of-war (frigate?). His main duties were patrolling but first of all missions against pirates, seizing prizes and smugglers property for King and -partially to make the Governor rich.

gd
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”