Operation Prosperity Guardian - Red Sea, Bab al-Mandeb narrows and Gulf of Aden

Make your posts about Naval, together with Joint and Inter Service Execises on this thread. NATO, SEATO, etc.
Pelican

Re: Operation Prosperity Guardian - Red Sea, Bab al-Mandeb narrows and Gulf of Aden

Unread post by Pelican »

Intelschizo reposted
EUNAVFOR ASPIDES
ASPIDES continuously provide maritime security in the Red Sea area. 19 contributing Nations, 4 Naval Units, 800 🕴️ at sea. 100% of protection requests met, 79 merchant🚢 already protected, 9 UAV and 1 USV destroyed, 4 ballistic 🚀intercepted, 100% shipping protection.
Video https://twitter.com/i/status/1780122877913653315
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: Operation Prosperity Guardian - Red Sea, Bab al-Mandeb narrows and Gulf of Aden

Unread post by Pelican »

U.S. Central Command

April 16 Red Sea Update

Between 10:50 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. (Sanaa time) on April 16, U.S. Central Command (USCENTCOM) forces successfully engaged two unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) in Iranian-backed Houthi terrorist-controlled areas in Yemen.

There were no injuries or damage reported by U.S., coalition, or commercial ships.

It was determined the UAVs presented an imminent threat to U.S., coalition, and merchant vessels in the region. These actions are taken to protect freedom of navigation and
make international waters safer and more secure for U.S., coalition, and merchant vessels.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

OSINTdefender
U.S. Secretary of the Navy, Carlos Del Toro told the Senate Appropriations Committee on Defense today that the Navy has Spent at least $1 Billion on Critical Munitions in the last 6 Months, during Operations in the Middle East to Protect the International Shipping Community, Israel, and U.S/Allied Navy Ships from Attack by the Houthi Terrorist Group in Yemen as well as Iran. Secretary Del Toro further stated to the Commitee the need for roughly $2 Billion to Replenish those Munition and to Prepare the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps for other Conflicts.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:26 pm Navy Lookout
Belgian frigate BNS Louise Marie planned deployment to the Red Sea has been postponed due to missile failure during test firing in the Mediterranean.
RIM-7 Sea Sparrow failed to launch and became stuck in the launch tube.
Deployment of Belgian Navy frigate Louise Marie postponed indefinitely

The incident occurred in the presence of Admiral Michel Hofman, Chief of Defence for the Belgian Armed Forces, during a simulated drone attack, a scenario similar to what the ship might face in the Red Sea.

During the exercise, a RIM-7 Sea Sparrow surface to air missile failed to launch and remained stuck in its tube. Reports indicate that other defensive measures also failed to intercept the training drone.

Originally scheduled to transit through the Suez Canal on April 12, the Louise-Marie was set to join Operation Aspides, aimed at protecting the merchant fleet in the region from Houthi rebel attacks. The mission was to be combined with Operation Agenor, enhancing maritime security in the Persian Gulf and Strait of Hormuz.

As a result of the malfunction, the frigate will remain in the Mediterranean Sea for an extended training period, as confirmed by the ship's commander and general staff. The ongoing analysis of the identified deficiencies will guide necessary adjustments to prepare for the continued mission.

The Louise-Marie had departed from Zeebrugge about a month ago, conducting joint exercises with HNLMS Tromp along the way, including at the NATO firing range off the coast of Crete, before joining the NATO Response Force in the Mediterranean for a port visit in Dubrovnik, Croatia, as reported in a Facebook post on the ship’s page on March 28.

Context https://www.navyrecognition.com/index.p ... k6B8H37KKB
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HNLMS Tromp leaving the Red Sea on completion of participation in operation Aspides - farewell sail past with FGS Hessen.
https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 9413004535
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Joakim Hannisdahl
Updated data on #shipping #SuezCanal transits via the #RedSea
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

U.S. Central Command

April 24 Red Sea Update

At 11:51 a.m. (Sanaa time) on April 24, a coalition vessel successfully engaged one anti-ship ballistic missile (ASBM) launched from Iranian-backed Houthi terrorist-controlled areas in Yemen over the Gulf of Aden. The ASBM was likely targeting the MV Yorktown, a U.S.-flagged, owned, and operated vessel with 18 U.S. and four Greek crew members. There were no injuries or damage reported by U.S., coalition, or commercial ships.

Separately, between 12:07 pm and 1:26 pm, U.S. Central Command (USCENTCOM) successfully engaged and destroyed four airborne unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) over Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen.

It was determined that the ASBM and UAVs presented an imminent threat to U.S., coalition, and merchant vessels in the region. These actions are taken to protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safer and more secure for U.S., coalition, and merchant vessels.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Diamond makes first Sea Viper anti-ballistic missile kill in action in the Gulf of Aden

HMS Diamond returned to the Red Sea area in March and at 1151 local time on April 24, she shot down an Anti-Ship Ballistic Missile (ASBM) launched from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen over the Gulf of Aden.

American sources say the Houthis were likely targeting a container ship, the MV Maersk Yorktown, a US-flagged, owned, and operated vessel with a crew comprising 18 US and 4 Greek sailors.

This is the first time the RN’s Sea Viper system has shot down a ballistic target in combat. Although the RN has destroyed several attack drones in recent months, this is also the first time its warships have intercepted any kind of missile in combat since HMS Gloucester shot down a Silkworm cruise missile during the 1991 Gulf War. This is a timely success for the beleaguered RN and the hard-working ship’s company of HMS Diamond can add another victory mark on the bridge wing. It should be noted that the French frigate FS Alsace previously shot down three ballistic missiles using Aster 30s while deployed in the Red Sea on 21st March.

The weapon destroyed is believed to be an Iranian-made Fateh-110 short-range ASBM or possibly a longer-range Zolfaghar ASBM. The Zolfaghar is mounted on board a Transporter Erector Launcher (TEL) making it difficult to pinpoint and destroy before they ‘shoot and scoot’. These short-range Theatre Ballistic Missiles (TBM) have a maximum reach of about 300km (Fatah) and 700km (Zolfaghar). This puts them within the current engagement envelope of the Aster 30 missile. (The Sea Viper Evolution project will eventually see the Type 45s have the capability to engage Medium Range Ballistic Missiles).

Continues https://www.navylookout.com/hms-diamond ... e-red-sea/

British warship engages and destroys ballistic missile

HMS Diamond, a Type 45 Destroyer, has intercepted a ballistic missile targeting a merchant vessel in the Gulf of Aden.
This marks the first successful deployment of the Royal Navy’s Sea Viper missile system against a ballistic missile in combat.

Also contains: The interception comes at a time when the Royal Navy is pushing for upgrades under the Sea Viper Evolution project, which aims to equip Type 45 destroyers like HMS Diamond with the ability to engage medium-range ballistic missiles (MRBM). See https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-outl ... -upgrades/

Continues https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/british ... c-missile/
Last edited by Pelican on Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout
Today Greek Frigate HS Hydra, while providing protection to a merchant vessel in the Gulf of Aden, engaged 2 Houthi attack drones, shooting down one, while the other changed course.
https://twitter.com/EUNAVFORASPIDES & https://twitter.com/EUNAVFORASPIDES/sta ... 6733496604
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:04 pm HMS Diamond makes first Sea Viper anti-ballistic missile kill in action in the Gulf of Aden

HMS Diamond returned to the Red Sea area in March and at 1151 local time on April 24, she shot down an Anti-Ship Ballistic Missile (ASBM) launched from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen over the Gulf of Aden.

American sources say the Houthis were likely targeting a container ship, the MV Maersk Yorktown, a US-flagged, owned, and operated vessel with a crew comprising 18 US and 4 Greek sailors.

This is the first time the RN’s Sea Viper system has shot down a ballistic target in combat. Although the RN has destroyed several attack drones in recent months, this is also the first time its warships have intercepted any kind of missile in combat since HMS Gloucester shot down a Silkworm cruise missile during the 1991 Gulf War. This is a timely success for the beleaguered RN and the hard-working ship’s company of HMS Diamond can add another victory mark on the bridge wing. It should be noted that the French frigate FS Alsace previously shot down three ballistic missiles using Aster 30s while deployed in the Red Sea on 21st March.

The weapon destroyed is believed to be an Iranian-made Fateh-110 short-range ASBM or possibly a longer-range Zolfaghar ASBM. The Zolfaghar is mounted on board a Transporter Erector Launcher (TEL) making it difficult to pinpoint and destroy before they ‘shoot and scoot’. These short-range Theatre Ballistic Missiles (TBM) have a maximum reach of about 300km (Fatah) and 700km (Zolfaghar). This puts them within the current engagement envelope of the Aster 30 missile. (The Sea Viper Evolution project will eventually see the Type 45s have the capability to engage Medium Range Ballistic Missiles).

Continues https://www.navylookout.com/hms-diamond ... e-red-sea/

British warship engages and destroys ballistic missile

HMS Diamond, a Type 45 Destroyer, has intercepted a ballistic missile targeting a merchant vessel in the Gulf of Aden.
This marks the first successful deployment of the Royal Navy’s Sea Viper missile system against a ballistic missile in combat.

Also contains: The interception comes at a time when the Royal Navy is pushing for upgrades under the Sea Viper Evolution project, which aims to equip Type 45 destroyers like HMS Diamond with the ability to engage medium-range ballistic missiles (MRBM). See https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-outl ... -upgrades/

Continues https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/british ... c-missile/
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... hi-missile
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “International Developments and Joint Service Exercises”