Operation Prosperity Guardian - Red Sea, Bab al-Mandeb narrows and Gulf of Aden

Make your posts about Naval, together with Joint and Inter Service Execises on this thread. NATO, SEATO, etc.
Pelican

Re: Operation Prosperity Guardian - Red Sea, Bab al-Mandeb narrows and Gulf of Aden

Unread post by Pelican »

U.S. Central Command

April 25 Red Sea Update

At 9:52 a.m. (Sanaa time) on April 25, one anti-ship ballistic missile (ASBM) was launched from Iranian-backed Houthi terrorist-controlled areas of Yemen into the Gulf of Aden. There were no injuries or damage reported by U.S., coalition, or commercial ships.

Separately, between 12:19 p.m. and 4:17 p.m. (Sanaa time), U.S. Central Command (USCENTCOM) successfully engaged and destroyed one unmanned surface vessel (USV) and one unmanned aerial vehicle
(UAV) in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen.

It was determined that the ASBM, USV, and UAV presented an imminent threat to U.S., coalition, and merchant vessels in the region. These actions are taken to protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safer and more secure for U.S., coalition, and merchant vessels.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: Operation Prosperity Guardian - Red Sea, Bab al-Mandeb narrows and Gulf of Aden

Unread post by Pelican »

Talk TV
Former Royal Navy commander Tom Sharpe says the UK “has been playing permanent goalkeeper” in the Red Sea after a warship shot down a Houthi missile.
“It shows you can win the battle, while still losing the war.”
https://twitter.com/i/status/1783812929067851956
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HNLMS Karel Doorman transiting the Strait of Gibraltar this morning on her way to the Red Sea.
She will provide providing fuel and and medical support to coalition warships in the region until end of August.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

U.S. Central Command
April 26 CENTCOM Red Sea Update

At 5:49 p.m. (Sanna time) on April 26, Iranian-backed Houthi terrorists launched three anti-ship ballistic missiles (ASBMs) from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen into the Red Sea in the vicinity of MV MAISHA, an Antiqua/Barbados flagged, Liberia operated vessel and MV Andromeda Star, a UK owned and Panamanian flagged, Seychelles operated vessel. MV Andromeda Star reports minor damage, but is continuing its voyage.

There are no injuries or other damage reported by U.S., coalition, or commercial ships at this time.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower Now in the Mediterranean Sea

After almost four months on station in the Red Sea, USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) and USS Gravely (DDG-107) transited the Suez Canal on Friday, the Navy announced.

Ike, the flagship of the Dwight D. Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group, and Gravely are now in the Eastern Mediterranean, according to a news release from U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa. It is unclear how long the two ships will remain in the Med.

The Ike Carrier Strike Group deployed on Oct. 13 and headed toward the Red Sea, where it participated in Operation Prosperity Guardian. Aircraft from Ike and Gravely shot down several Houthi drones and anti-ship missiles while in the Red Sea, according to USNI News’ timeline.

Continues https://news.usni.org/2024/04/26/carrie ... ranean-sea
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout
Action in the Red Sea might be an example of how you can win a battle but still lose the war.
By @TomSharpe134
https://archive.is/mJs3o
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

U.S. Central Command

April 28 Red Sea Update

Between 1:48 and 2:27 a.m. (Sanaa time), April 28, U.S. Central Command (USCENTCOM) successfully engaged five airborne unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) over the Red Sea.

It was determined the UAVs presented an imminent threat to U.S., coalition, and merchant vessels in the region. These actions are taken to protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safer and more secure for U.S., coalition, and merchant vessels.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

U.S. Central Command

April 29 Red Sea Update

Between 10:00 a.m. and 5:20 p.m. (Sanaa time) on April 29, Iranian-backed Houthi terrorists fired three anti-ship ballistic missiles (ASBM) and three UAVs from Yemen into the Red Sea towards MV Cyclades, a Malta-flagged, Greece-owned vessel. Initial reports indicate there were no injuries and the vessel continued on its way.

Earlier, at 7:49 a.m., U.S. Central Command (USCENTCOM) forces successfully engaged and destroyed one Houthi launched airborne unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) on a flight path towards USS Philippine Sea and USS Laboon in the Red Sea. There were no injuries or damages reported by U.S., coalition, or merchant vessels.

It was determined the UAV presented an imminent threat to U.S., coalition, and merchant vessels in the region. These actions are taken to protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safer and more secure for U.S., coalition, and merchant vessels.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Yemen’s Houthis are going underground

Analysis by the IISS of satellite images shows that the Houthis are digging in, creating new and much larger underground military facilities that could bolster their protection in case of future conflict.

The armed group, which controls much of the country and has been harassing shipping in the Red Sea, has undertaken a major expansion of underground military facilities, satellite images reviewed by the International Institute for Strategic Studies reveal. The building boom predates the ongoing United States-led Poseidon Archer military operation that has targeted the Houthis to counter their attacks on cargo and military vessels.

While the Houthis used caves and simple tunnels in their earliest days as an armed group, more recently, they have pursued much larger installations, refurbishing both pre-war Yemeni Army tunnel systems and building entirely new underground facilities.

Continues https://www.iiss.org/online-analysis/mi ... derground/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout
On 29th April Italian frigate ITS Virginio Fasan shot down a Houthi drone in the Bab El Mandeb Strait while protecting a European merchant vessel.
Destroyed at around 5km range, likley using 76mm gun.
2 Photos https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 6347271447
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “International Developments and Joint Service Exercises”