Current RN News and Updates

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: Current RN News and Updates

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:37 am Navy Lookout
Serving govt ministers Annie Trev & TomTugendhat warn the Chancellor and Prime Minister that defence and security spending must be increased to 2.5% of GDP and beyond.

Deborah Haynes
This Morten Morland cartoon is genius. It comes after two serving ministers broke cover to push for increased defence spending at a time of growing threats.
Ministers urge government to increase defence spending in highly unusual intervention

The alarm call by two serving ministers with deep expertise in defence and security comes amid growing disquiet among Conservative MPs and military insiders at a failure by Chancellor Jeremy Hunt to announce new funding for the armed forces in his spring budget.
By Deborah Haynes

See - https://news.sky.com/story/ministers-ur ... n-13090562
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

DragonFire – pathway to a Laser Directed Energy Weapon for the Royal Navy?

In late 2023 an aerial target was destroyed during a successful test firing of the UK’s DragonFire Laser Directed Energy Weapon (LDEW) technology demonstrator. Here we look at DragonFire and the possibility of operational derivatives.

Background
In early 2017 a consortium led by MBDA was awarded a £30M contract by the MoD Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) to develop a LDEW demonstrator. This was a high-profile project and was widely publicised but progress was initially slow and there were rumours the project had stalled. Behind the scenes steady development continued and the first trials against static targets at the Dstl Porton Down range were made public in October 2022. In July 2023 low-power tracking trials were successfully concluded at the Hebrides Range followed by a high-power shot resulting in the destruction of a moving aerial target in October 2023. This was a UK first and demonstrated British LDEW technology is of sufficient maturity to form the basis of an operational capability.

In September 2023 the MoD announced it has funded the next 3-year DEW Transition Phase from 2024-27. This will continue Laser DEW developments for ground-based air defence and builds on DragonFire for maritime applications, as well as a high-frequency radio directed energy weapon (RFDEW) for use in the counter-UAS role.

DragonFire is not the only UK LDEW project and the MoD is investing around £100 million in this technology. During 2021 a Thales-led consortium including BAE Systems, Chess Dynamics Vision4CE and IPG began working on Project Tracey to produce advanced demonstrators for the RN. The first objective was to conduct an LDEW trial on a Type 23 frigate in 2023 but this was abandoned, most likely due to lack of maturity and so funds could be redirected into other programmes. In the longer term, there is an ambition to develop a 150kw class naval LDEW, initially to be fitted on the Type 26 frigates sometime in the early 2030s (illustrated in the main image above).

The US is some way ahead in LDEW development, having already fielded the experimental 30 Kw LaWS in 2017 and more recently the AN/SEQ-4 Optical Dazzler Interdictor Navy (ODIN) counter UAS system on some of its destroyers. The 150kw class Laser Weapon System Demonstrator (LWSD) was tested in 2020 and the 60kw high-energy laser with integrated optical dazzler and surveillance (HELIOS) was fitted to USS Preeble in 2022. In the longer term, the US is also working on the 300kw High Energy Laser Counter-ASCM Program (HELCAP) to defeat anti-ship missiles. While UK efforts are inevitably on a smaller scale, DragonFire does not rely on US components or IP and is a fully independent sovereign project.

Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/dragonfire- ... oyal-navy/

Also see - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/mod-rel ... n-footage/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Haiti, Yemen, Ukraine aid and British carriers

‘News Snapshots’ is the new fortnightly news podcast from The OSINT Bunker team.

The latest episode explores the developing crisis in Haiti, Israel’s plans to tackle Hezbollah in Lebanon, Ukraine’s seaborne success against Russia and issues with the UK’s aircraft carriers.

The panel features @DefenceGeek, @AnAustinThing2, @geoallison & @osinttechnical, with a guest appearance from @All_Source_News.

Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/haiti-y ... -carriers/

For links to the various articles see links at the foot of the above.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Marines kick off 360th year with commando style Ceremony of the Dues in London

Royal Marines powered along the River Thames to deliver a barrel of port to the Tower of London as part of an historic Ceremony of the Dues marking the Corps’ 360th anniversary.

Three raiding craft made the short journey from HMS President, under Tower Bridge to the Tower of London carrying their ‘Dues’ (the barrel of port) for the Constable of the Tower – fittingly, retired senior Royal Marine, General Sir Gordon Messenger.

The ceremony is a tradition that dates back to the 14th Century when naval ships passing into London were ordered to pay a levy.

Normally Royal Navy sailors carry out this task, but given the significance of their 360th year, Royal Marines were given the honour to mark their illustrious history and also their place at the very forefront of UK Defence.

It is the second time the Royal Marines have conducted this ceremony – the first time was in 2014 when the Corps was marking its 350th anniversary.

A Commando Merlin helicopter from 845 Naval Air Squadron carried out a fly past and Royal Marines past and present gathered at the Tower to mark the occasion, with head of the Corps, Commandant General Royal Marines General Gwyn Jenkins, overseeing events.

Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... lebrations
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Britain confirms order for more Chinook helicopters

Britain’s heavy lift capability will be bolstered with the purchase of 14 extended-range Chinooks (CH47-ER), say the Ministry of Defence.

The new Chinooks significantly enhance the UK’s strategic mobility with its ability to operate in challenging environments.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/britain ... licopters/

[Could be used to transport Marines and used on QEC]
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Royal Navy: Former patrol ship HMS Sabre still on sale and in Gosport a year after eBay listing

A former Portsmouth-based Royal Navy patrol ship is still on sale after being listed on eBay a year ago.

See - https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defen ... ng-4554973
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Bulwark unlikely to return to sea ‘unless needed’

Assault ship HMS Bulwark was to replace her sister ship this year, however, it has now been revealed that the vessel will be “maintained so that she can be ready to deliver defence outputs if required“.

See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-bul ... ss-needed/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

First sailors complete ground-breaking trial to help curb injuries ruining military careers

The first recruits to take part in ground-breaking work to dramatically reduce injuries in training – and throughout their careers – have passed out from HMS Raleigh.
Civilians joining the Naval Service now undergo comprehensive scientific assessments, using the latest tech and sports science knowledge which will shape future training programmes and how the Royal Navy helps rehabilitate personnel with injuries.

Motion capture technology (kinematics) record recruits’ gait as they walk or run across a series of pressure points and pads, assessing how and where they distribute their body weight as they do so.

Coupled with measuring grip strength, height, and observing how someone stands, as well as noting health factors such as smoking and diet, the data will be used in a bid to curb the single biggest cause of sailors and marines being medically downgraded: musculoskeletal injuries.

Such injuries – anything which is muscular/bone related, such as a twisted knee or hip injury – account for half the military personnel who are medically downgraded.

Working side-by-side with leading academics from Bath, Exeter and Southampton Universities, the goal is to drastically cut those injuries (typically caused by overuse, playing sport, physical training, or poor working practices) across the Naval Service.

Scientific Support Facilities (SSF) have been installed at two of the Royal Navy’s ‘entry’ training establishments: HMS Raleigh and the Commando Training Centre Royal Marines in Lympstone; a third facility will be established at the Institute of Naval Medicine in Alverstoke later this year to capture Phase 2 and 3 trainees.

Continues at - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... ry-careers
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout
It has been clear for some time the RN does not have enough sailors to provide a crew for HMS Bulwark when her refit is completed.
Ministerial statement that she will only be "ready to deliver defence outputs if required” is the first time this has been officially admitted.
Quote Think Defence
With the LPDs, it isn't the decision, it is the drip drip drip of bad news, then denials, then a statement, then someone clarifies, then a media campaign, then another statement.
The MoD should make a decision, announce it, stick to it.
Unquote
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Shadow Defence Minister blasts ‘rhetoric’ instead of funding

John Healey has blasted the Defence Secretary for the significant discrepancy between the government’s rhetoric and the grim reality of military funding and preparedness.

See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/shadow- ... f-funding/

New Glasgow frigate factory reaches milestone

The main piling works at the new shipbuilding facility at the BAE Systems yard in Govan, Glasgow, have been completed.
The firm responsible also report that the cofferdam pile installation is due to complete later this month.

See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/new-gla ... milestone/

Royal Navy exploring replenishing missiles at sea

In a letter dated 13/03/2024 from the Earl of Minto to Lord West of Spithead, information came to light regarding the ability of the future Fleet Solid Support ships to replenish Vertical Loading Silos at sea, as raised during a debate following a Lord’s statement on the situation in the Red Sea.

See - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/royal-n ... es-at-sea/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”