Bournemouth Aviation Museum at Hurn Airport

Make your posts about Fleet Air Arm museums and preserved historical naval aircraft on this thread
Pelican

Bournemouth Aviation Museum at Hurn Airport

Unread post by Pelican »

Last flying example of de Havilland naval fighter acquired for static display

The last de Havilland Sea Vixen to fly, FAW2 XP924/G-CVIX, which was seriously damaged during a wheels-up landing at RNAS Yeovilton on 27 May 2017, was acquired for the Bournemouth Aviation Museum at Hurn Airport during September.

The cost of repairs to the damage caused to XP924 were estimated to be between £1.5 and £2 million, and five years after the accident Navy Wings decided the project to get it flying again wasn’t viable. XP924 was offered to groups who could take it on as a static exhibit. In February of this year the Sea Vixen was pushed outside at Yeovilton, and faced an uncertain future.

Continues at - https://www.key.aero/article/bournemout ... 5017710994
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: Bournemouth Aviation Museum at Hurn Airport

Unread post by Pelican »

Last Sea Vixen to return to Bournemouth Aviation Museum

BOURNEMOUTH Aviation Museum is fundraising to bring a Royal Navy fighter jet ‘back home’ and to inspire the next generation.

In May 2017 the only remaining Sea Vixen, named ‘Foxy Lady’, flew for the last time after a landing gear failure at Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton, Somerset.

Despite the plane landing safely, the speed and force of the ordeal left it with cracks in both tail booms, a badly damaged gearbox and warped bulkheads in the engine.

The plane, which flew for over a decade at air shows, underwent three years of restoration work so it could soar again, however, Navy Wings, an aviation history charity, said it was still short of £2m.

Continues at - https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/ ... on-museum/ - LFT

For info - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-17629779
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Re: Bournemouth Aviation Museum at Hurn Airport

Unread post by Pelican »

From Tim:

PIER PRESSURE?

Back in 1966/7 TTL took command of HMS Hermes; below is an account of a true experience covering the first night-time deck landing by a Sea Vixen, a large, very powerful, and noisy, twin jet all-weather fighter/bomber aircraft.

HMS HERMES, at sea in Lyme Bay work-up area
First night deck landing of the commission, forget who was flying but a senior pilot, in a Vixen.
Dark night, slight low mist.
H to Vixen; we have you on radar, you are clear to come home for the night.
Vixen to H; I cannot see you, my lights are on, can you see me.
H to vixen; no, we cannot see you, flash.
Vixen to H; I am flashing.
H to vixen; we still cannot see you.
Vixen to H; hang on, I can see your lights.
H to vixen; we still cannot see you
Vixen to H; don’t worry, I see you, bit misty up here but lights are in clear view.
H to Vixen; we still cannot see you;
Vixen to H; I am reducing height and beginning my approach.
H to vixen; we still cannot see you.
Vixen to H; don’t worry, I will tell you when on finals.
H to Vixen; still can’t see you.
Vixen to H; on finals, lowering gear.
H to vixen we still do not have visual on you.
Vixen to H; too bad, I am coming in…..Holy Sh*t, it’s the effing pier!!!!!

At this point I gather he was below 100 feet which called for rather a lot of power to climb away.

[Attached cartoon should be here]

It’s a long time since I heard the original at the knee of TTL who thought it immensely humorous and might have slightly gilded the lily but fortunately all ended well, and I believe this was a dine-out dit for most onboard for years. The cartoon is from Hermes Herald, the onboard newspaper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “FAA Museums and Historical Aircraft”