RN Aircraft Carriers: Audacious / Eagle Class 1951

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
jbryce1437

RN Aircraft Carriers: Audacious / Eagle Class 1951

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Originally ordered as the Audacious Class, four keels were laid down between 1942 and 1943. They were to be HMS Audacious, Irresistible, Eagle and Africa. However, the war ended before any of them were completed and, subsequently, two were cancelled - Eagle and Africa. Of the two that remained, Audacious was renamed Eagle when she was launched in 1946 and commissioned in 1951. Irresistible was renamed Ark Royal following the loss of the previous holder of the name. She stood on the stocks for some years and was finally launched in 1950 but wasn't commissioned until 1955.
Eagle remained in commission until 1972 and held in reserve, for spares, for Ark Royal, which finally ended her service in 1979.

Eagle
eagle 1955 gib[1].jpg

eagle-(1965)-pt.bow.jpg

Ark Royal

ark royal 8jul55.jpg
z ark in roughers wns.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Re: RN Aircraft Carriers: Audacious / Eagle Class 1951

Unread post by ivorthediver »

At the risk of repeating myself , one of the most illuminating things on the new forum is your dedication and illustration of the carriers WE actually produced and the differing classes built .

Ok I may have been dumb and missed posts covering these topics on WNSF , and it might have been my "Focus" on the Illustrious class that I had missed reading these but I am amazed at how many we actually produced albeit some which were surplus to requirements .

Then just as I get "Adjusted" up pops another .......

Well done Jim and thanks for your kindness portrayed in sharing all these with us

I hope your feeling a Tad better today , as I repeatedly drink your health each night ........only to speed your recovery you understand .......... :lol:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
ivorthediver

As an observation across the classes I not the various Bow "Traps" built to facilitate anchor retrieval :P
jbryce1437

ivorthediver wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:14 am As an observation across the classes I not the various Bow "Traps" built to facilitate anchor retrieval :P
There were three on the Ark, one was the oblong hole in the bow and there were two slightly aft, port and starboard side and yes, I think they were little platforms to help work the anchor or when tying up to buoys. I spent an uncomfortable middle watch lying on one with my little hand grenade, looking for divers bubbles, when we were alongside in Singapore.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Friend or foe Jim :?: , and why the banger,s ;) sorry-missing something Obvious to others I’m sure :?:
jbryce1437

ivorthediver wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:48 pm Friend or foe Jim :?: , and why the banger,s ;) sorry-missing something Obvious to others I’m sure :?:
When we passed through the Suez Canal in 1965 on the way to the Far East, the skipper made a tannoy message informing us that we were entering a "War Zone". Our first visit once we were through was to visit Aden 2-4th July, where we anchored off. Because of the troubles ashore in Aden, we had to rig underwater lighting as there was a possibility that divers may try to harm the ship. The same procedure (It was termed Operation Awkward) was adopted when alongside in Singapore Dockyard as there was still a risk (the Indonesia–Malaysia confrontation was still ongoing) that sabateurs may try to target the ship. As well as the lighting, sentries were placed around the ship to monitor the water for any divers bubbles. Sentries were given sound charges, which resemble hand grenades, if activated and thrown into the water they would burst the ear drums of any diver. The were good for stunning fish too ;)

Jim
Retired since 2002
ivorthediver

Right Jim , in the picture now thanks and understand the situation better ,
Thanks for the explanation re the situation it clarifies the actions and sit rep .
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

HMS Eagle pictured in the 1950's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Multi-Ship Replenishment at sea..(Top to Bottom)...RFA Lyness ( Purchased by the USN in 1981 and re-named USNS Sirius)......HMS Ark Royal......Ol Class Fast Fleet Tanker RFA Olmeda....Type 21 Frigate HMS Antelope.....c1976.
Brian James

HMS Eagle pictured at Portsmouth’s South Railway Jetty,post her major 1964 refit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”