RN Aircraft Carriers: Audacious / Eagle Class 1951

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
jbryce1437

Re: RN Aircraft Carriers: Audacious / Eagle Class 1951

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

timlewin wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:59 am not sure who these carriers are under construction at H&W, the advert is from 1950-51 Janes. The picture of Corunna with Eagle, taken by one of Eagles helos is from 1956 approx., give or take a few months.
I believe the three carriers under construction are Centaur, Bulwark and Eagle nearest in the basin, all built by Harland & Wolff.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

I still speak with H&W and they attend some of my ceremonies onboard HMSB but the yard is so reduced now; The old drawing office where half our maritime history took seed is now a posh hotel, but at least its still there with all its inherited memories.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Errrr Tim .....what in the meaning of that word please :oops: as I must confess to being dumbfounded by its meaning " itsinherited " I don't profess to being bright but this one beats me ......or am I misreading it perhaps... and you may have meant....." its" inherited :? :oops:
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
timlewin

inherited memory; a fascinating topic Ivor which we should discuss over a glass some time. Yes, you are right, I must get a new space bar.
Does inanimate matter have "memory" as in the capacity to record? if magnetic matter, tape, credit cards etc, can record and remember info is it possible that other matter, steel ships for ex, can record events, memories. how do we download these memories? Are ghosts the inherited, or acquired, memory of past people and events? do some materials have a better capacity, capability, to record?
Why do we inexplicably hang on to artefacts that remind of of something past, is there more to these things than just a bit of junk from another time?
I like to imagine there is something in this theory.
tim
timlewin

a very fine and detailed picture, that looks like Rame Head in the distance, and the destroyers look like Darings (nothing new about that!)
ivorthediver

timlewin wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:21 pm inherited memory; a fascinating topic Ivor which we should discuss over a glass some time. Yes, you are right, I must get a new space bar.
Does inanimate matter have "memory" as in the capacity to record? if magnetic matter, tape, credit cards etc, can record and remember info is it possible that other matter, steel ships for ex, can record events, memories. how do we download these memories? Are ghosts the inherited, or acquired, memory of past people and events? do some materials have a better capacity, capability, to record?
Why do we inexplicably hang on to artefacts that remind of of something past, is there more to these things than just a bit of junk from another time?
tim
Totally agree Tim , and like your Dad who thought the same...... Ships have souls and characters and react to events .......

How many ships have slipped their tow on the way to the butchers , had rudder lock and then solved itself mysteriously ....the list is endless I am glad to say :)
Little h

Unread post by Little h »

timlewin wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:21 pm inherited memory; a fascinating topic .............
Does inanimate matter have "memory" as in the capacity to record? if magnetic matter, tape, credit cards etc, can record and remember info is it possible that other matter, steel ships for ex, can record events, memories. how do we download these memories?
tim
If I may offer an opinion Tim - Re. steel ships; I would like to believe there is something in the theory, but what of the ship(s) that have gone through defabrication/scrap.

The various dismantled pieces separated and sent off to different places, some of which end up being mixed with other scrap metal to become molten metal.

What then of this liquid? Might that medium be capable of the retention of the multitude of events that the solid material from which it originated experienced?

As I said - I too would like to think there may be something in the theory.
Little h
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

A couple of nice shots of the ARK ROYAL with her Phantoms... :D DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timlewin

I am so glad you like my theory, lets expand on it as we progress, maybe a new thread. I am out most of the next few days so will ponder on elaborating on this.
When we replaced the masts of Belfast with the Russian replicas I made 100 castings of my own version of her her crest from the steel I managed to salvage. No one in IWM official position was interested so I took my own initiative to create a gift plaque for various VIPs and veterans who asked for them. My presentation pitch was that this steel from the ship held in its molecular fabric all of the memories of the ship from her launching until 2010 when we cast the plaques. The masts I took the steel from were the 1959 reconstruction lattice but they had absorbed all that went before by dint of being integral to the ship's structure. When I presented these to the Russian veterans I told them that forever forward thanks to their gift of the new masts there would be a part of Russia in the soul of HMS Belfast, and by returning home , a part of HMS Belfast in the soul of Russia. They liked the idea.
The very last plaque of the 100 I presented to the captain of HMCS Halifax to celebrate her visit to London alongside Belfast in memory of the depth of relationship between HMSB and the RCN, for each of Belfast's hard-won four Battle Honours the RCN was present and when she was at Normandy many of the wounded Canadian soldiers brought off the beaches were first treated in Belfast's sick bay.
I wish I could have salved more of the steel. it was an expensive exercise but one of my wealthier friends covered the cost.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ivorthediver

Not really sure of this thoughts destination Tim , but if, as I suspect, it is a kindred spirit born of struggle and the chosen vessel that should have sunk..... is repaying her perceived debt...... to others who are receptive to her persuasions so be it .

You have mentioned on a few occasions of the cast iron link your dad had with Ashanti , and others over the years have mentioned a bond with the ship they served on that the similarity is at the least repetitious , so my gut instinct is one of belief thou I am sure others would cover this thought with scorn and derision .....however I am of the thought that these perceptive souls cant all be wrong or delusional

I would be happy to share a bottle or three discussing this belief but my dear lady would, I feel not be so receptive, and would bracket it with wegie board disciples ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”