RN Aircraft Carriers: Audacious / Eagle Class 1951

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Brian James

Re: RN Aircraft Carriers: Audacious / Eagle Class 1951

Unread post by Brian James »

HMS Ark Royal pictured as she enters Toulon c1956.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

HMS Ark Royal pictured entering Grand Harbor c1956.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

HMS Eagle pictured c1964.
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Two later views of the ARK ROYAL.......... :) DFO
Brian James

Audacious Class Carrier HMS Ark Royal in 1961.
Brian James

A mass Hawker Seahawk cartridge start..HMS Ark Royal,June 1955.
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

A over head view of the ARK ROYAL in 1957; my she had many changes coming!!! :D The bow and stern views show many compared to 1957.

I rebuilt my original scratch built model of her twice. Finally I built a second model showing her with all the additional changes she had by the time Phantoms were flying from her. Altho she carried a total of 40 aircraft by the time she operated Phantoms, only 26 were combat planes: 12 Phantoms and 14 Buccaneer strike planes......DFO
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Many thanks for posting the photos Dennis. I served on her for three years 1964/7, by which time most of the 4.5" gun mountings had been removed, I think we were only left with X and Y turrets, a 6 barrel bofor midships on the port side and a twin bofor mounting on the flight deck in front of the bridge. The side lift had also been removed by that time. I left her as she was about to start an extended refit, after which all of the armaments were removed, although I believe she was fitted for, but not with, seacat missile mountings. We slept in hammocks and camp beds, bunks if you were in the Senior Rates messes. After the extended refit all sleeping was in bunks and the messes were fitted with air conditioning, so a big improvement in living conditions. During my time on her we were involved in NATO exercises off the north of Scotland and, due to rough weather, little flying was done. The embarked press corps spent time below decks and witnessed the living conditions of the crew. Consequently, she was labeled by the press as a slum ship as most of the ratings were sleeping in camp beds in passageways and other suitable places. That little piece of bad publicity earned us "Hard Lying" money of 7.5p per day (1s 6d back then, which was a princely sum).
It was sad to see her go to the scrapyard, but there was little benefit of saving her as a museum ship as her upkeep would have been costly.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Brian James

Audacious Class Carrier HMS Ark Royal pictured conducting a jackstay transfer with County Class Guided Missile Destroyer HMS Antrim in 1975.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

EAGLE entering Gib. June 1955

[Pokers pumping out a lot of water?}
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”