WW2 People's War - BBC

Let other members know of a good book that you are reading in this section
greendragon

WW2 People's War - BBC

Unread post by greendragon »

Wishing the Brits all the best on their new way of life after divorcing from EU I must say I expected the British Pound would be weaker thus making purchasing books cheaper.
My cunny expectation actually quickly collapsed because BP has gained the same value to my country's currency so buying books in the UK is still a bit expensive.
Anyway I have found replacement for free and gold mine of excellent reading contained in the collection of the British veterans (all services, MN, civilians, foreigners etc) memories from the WW2 time.
Thousands of memories has been collected from short, couple of sentence ones to some being a size of a book chapter.
Reading most of them - at least those of my interest - I have got many facts explained.
As for a foreigner I like them because many provide atmosphere of war time, combat and miscellaneous stories, sometimes funny things like "gulpers and sippers"; a Briton (nicknamed Limey or even Juicer :lol: ;) ) life on a HMCS destroyer or more serious things like memories from sinking of HMS Manchester which supports most of the facts given in the book (Watery Grave) about this event.
So for free I have managed widening my knowledge about WW2 as seen by the (mostly) British matelots, airmen and others.
Highly recommended,

gd
jbryce1437

Re: WW2 People's War - BBC

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Well done on your discovery GD. Yes, a great source of factual information by people who were there and survived the experience.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Book Club”