Floating Drydocks

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
ivorthediver

Re: Floating Drydocks

Unread post by ivorthediver »

James b wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:44 am A nice view of Floating docks at Sembawang Singapore..
Wow .....that is a superb photo , so grateful for that and all that excellent detail .......and such clarity very grateful thanks very much
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

And that James looks like my old friend Barbain [Barboat] in the Floating Dock in Sembawang.
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

that looks like one of the old Bar boats in the smaller FD at Terror?
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

THE RN's FLOATING DRY DOCK AT BERMUDA
Please go to - http://www.bermuda-online.org/rnd.htm - and then scroll down to 1869 and see the images below the text. Ditto 1902 and then go to 1946 for images. Incidentally the whole site contains a wealth of information about Bermuda past and present for those interested. Note there is a seperate section containing photos of the ships Badges which were painted on the walls of the dockyard. They were removed due to the last modernisation for the last Americas Cup but Bermudians are very proud of ALL their history so you can still view them.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Thank you David , very useful , and duly noted , ....not seen tis site before .......
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

timlewin wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:19 pm that looks like one of the old Bar boats in the smaller FD at Terror?
As said in my post above yours Tim I think it is my old ship BARBAIN ...... her home was Loyang a little further down the coast.
timlewin

I saw the picture and was reminded of your posts in the old forum; for ten years or more I worked for a trading company based in S/pore so spent one week every month there (mid 702 to late 80s) fortunately the beginning of this period allowed me to enjoy the place as it was rather than the island gin palace it has become.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

My own sentiments repeated. We loved Singapore in the early 60's and in later years 90's visited again .... not the same so we went to Penang which was like stepping into a time warp ....... altho' I suspect that too may now have joined the 21st Century . I am all for progress and Singapore is a total realisation of Raffles dream.
timlewin

the company I worked for was Boustead, they were known a box-wallahs because they were a general trading company importing and distribution anything and everything. During my time they fortunately had the agency for Moet Hennessy so there was never a shortage of top quality cognac! the founder of the company, Edward Boustead had been a personal friend of Raffles, the company was licenced trading company #2 in Singapore, I am sure you know the hoary old tale of the tiger being shot under a billiard table? it was old Edwards billiard table. The company has morphed beyond its origins now. In my time they had made a deal with a local based trading company, Teck Hock, who were already my client, offices on Boat Quay, so I became part of that mix. Enjoyed every minute. Here, although off topic, are the only snaps I still have of that time. You can see why Boat Quay was so called. These days all this is gone, the place is all flashy eateries and typically antiseptic nightspots. I was last there briefly in 1992.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Remember it well by your photos Tim we used to call it stinky creek and it was said you could walk on water there across all the garbage and dead animals in the water. I too visited last around 1992 and it had all been cleared and all the dockside warehouses were now cocktail lounges and eateries. Friends with us we amazed in disbelief when we told them what it was like in the 50's/60's
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”