HMS Ganges

Use this section for UK Naval Shore Bases and Naval Air Stations
Pelican

Re: HMS Ganges

Unread post by Pelican »

HISTORY

See - http://www.godfreydykes.info/GANGES_NAV ... ITORS.html

We already have many of these photos via the IWM on PBase - https://pbase.com/hms_ganges_museum/pro ... vKfOJJPH7E - but not the full explanations.
The latest of which cover the KBR of 1948.
Note the flag above the truck of the training mast.
BZ Jeff!
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

CAUTIOUS GOOD NEWS REGARDING THE TRAINING MAST

Detailed plans submitted for restoration of iconic HMS Ganges mast

Detailed plans on how the world famous HMS Ganges mast will restored have been revealed.

A fresh application has been made to Babergh planners for the partial dismantling and consequent restoration and rebuilding of the training mast ,at the site of the former Royal Naval Training Establishment, Shotley Gate.

The Grade II* listed mast will be restored as close to its former glory as possible, with Maldon firm TS Rigging doing the restoration, and will replicate everything down to the galvanised steel rigging, bottle screws and shackles.

Standing at 143ft, the mast is made up of three main parts; the main 75ft mast came from HMS Cordelia, a steam corvette built in Portsmouth, the top mast of 47.5 ft wooden ruffle box from HMS Agincourt, which was renamed HMS Boscawen, and then Ganges II.

Many spars are believed to have come from this ship too. The third part, known as the Togallant is the 45ft section, although its origin is uncertain.

Expert riggers will also work on the course, topsle, togallent and gaff yardarms, much of which have fallen off the core mast, after a thorough survey was carried out by the Heritage Marine Foundation.

It is believed the bottom part of the mast is the only section to have been part of the original, and the rest has constantly been updated or restored since it was first erected in 1907, a year after the training on HMS Ganges moved ashore and it became known as a stone frigate.

The mast is considered too dangerous to be repaired without taking it down and much of the work will be carried out off site, including repairing the mechanism which allows it to be lowered.

While part of the mast will be stored in Nelson Hall during the restoration of the mast, and a large part of the sites constriction to avoid further damage, much of the rigging and spar restoration will take place in Maldon and Chatham.

All sections will be repainted and new rigging put in place. Work is likely to start on taking the mast down over the next few months and fully retired by the time 113 houses on the Ganges its are built.

The parade ground, an area of 2,567 sqm, adjoining where the mast stands, is to be used for ceremonial events while also providing opportunities to ride, skate, exercise and other activities, according to the developers' design statement.

Comments can be made on this application by going to the Babergh planning page and using reference DC/17/04817.

Source:
https://shotleypeninsula.nub.news/n/det ... iUGV80V7jc

The current state of the Mast is attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

COVERS OF THE SHOTLEY MAGS.

We have found evidence that the Magazines were printed for us by the East Anglian Daily Times Co. Ipswich. See attached image and follow the links.
https://pbase.com/hms_ganges_museum/image/170528699
And
https://pbase.com/hms_ganges_museum/image/170499368
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS GANGES 1972

A Hand Book that was issued to all new entries - Ganges gateway to the Fleet.
Note attached image and go to:
https://pbase.com/hms_ganges_museum/image/170827617
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Pelican wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:47 pm COVERS OF THE SHOTLEY MAGS.

We have found evidence that the Magazines were printed for us by the East Anglian Daily Times Co. Ipswich. See attached image and follow the links.
https://pbase.com/hms_ganges_museum/image/170528699
And
https://pbase.com/hms_ganges_museum/image/170499368
Also the attached.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Ganges 'Snippets'
A Communicator's view
RN Communications Branch Museum/Library
This page contains links to the many small 'Snippets' that have been transferred from Godfrey (Jeff) Dykes website with his kind permission.
Please see:
https://www.commsmuseum.co.uk/gangessnips.htm
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Elephant on the Tyne.
The Ganges Association name is afloat on the River Tyne and looks fantastic. We have lots of traffic on the Tyne and lots of waves from people in boats. The pontoon and banners look very professional from the water. By the time we got the boat into the water, the weather had turned with lots of rain, but I managed to get some photographs When up and running properly I will get some photographs with cadets and boats.
Florrie

Background:
The money raised for Ganges Pontoon comes from Scarborough Weekend, donations from GANGES Association and not forgetting Stan The Man and his Rum Maidens.
The Ganges Pontoon is at TS Kelly. TS Kelly will now be a Boating Hub for Sea Cadet thanks to the Association.

Why Elephant?
See attached, we are sometimes known as The Elephants at functions and 'Nellie the Elephant ' is sometimes played.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

GANGES BOYS - A REAL SKY PILOT - JOHN MASON
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Sailor’s uniforms were numbered: -

No 1’s his best suit, tailor made of blue serge worn with gilt badges (at Ganges known as ‘Sea Suit’ issued in the last days before leaving to join the fleet)

No 2’s Blue serge i.e. Second best worn with red badges.

No 3’s Blue serge originally working dress.

No 4’s As number 3’s less collar & silk – also known as night clothing - deck shoes also issued but rarely worn.

No 5’s Duck suits – white canvas suits worn by Ganges Boys under training until WW2 and afterwards until 1947.

No 6’s White tropical suits with blue collars & flashes around the wrists plus white buckskin shoes with white socks.

Never worn at Ganges although often issued to many Boys leaving for direct drafting to the tropics.

No 7’s Magpie rig, half whites i.e. white trousers and blue jumper, often the dress for mast manning parties also used in the early days at Ganges to denote a backward swimmer.

No 8’s Blue shirt dark blue trousers of a jeans variety – also known as action working dress first issued at Ganges early 1949

No 8a's Blue Shirt with dark blue shorts – working dress worn overseas with sandals.

No 9’s Blue overalls

No 10a White shorts worn with white front and blue stockings. Dress worn overseas. Never worn at Ganges although again often issued to Boys leaving for direct drafting to the tropics
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “UK Naval Bases Past and Present - Royal Navy”