Tribal Warfare - The Tribals of WW2

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
jbryce1437

Re: Tribal Warfare - The Tribals of WW2

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

timlewin wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:45 pm thanks Pelican, I recommend this to everyone, and not just because I am the publisher, this is a sailor's story that deserves to be heard. When you all read it, please put a review on Amazon.
There are more than 70 photos in the book, every picture tells a story.
tim
This has to be one of the best books that I have read. It gives you the feeling that you are there and I can visualise many of the scenarios which the story teller describes. The photos accompanying the story make it well worth obtaining.

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Two views of the ESKIMO, well maybe 1.75 views??? :o DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timlewin

Unread post by timlewin »

Indeed; Eskimo had a bit of a history of losing her pointed end. This picture is from Narvik from where she made it home. In 1944 one dark and moonless night she lost it again by ramming Javelin at high speed during the night actions in the Western Approaches during Op. Tunnel. She was repaired and survived to see out the War along with the other three survivors, Nubian, Tartar and Ashanti.

Her nose job following the Javelin ding was less dramatic than that from Narvik, sadly I do not have a picture of that one although I have seen a very grainy clip from a film of her back at Plymouth looks rather sorry for herself. During another of these actions Ashanti managed to run down the side of Huron at 30 kts bending her stem round a couple of feet so this sort of damage was par for the course it seems.

That second photo looks as though it dates from the time of Op. Tunnel, 10th DF, with her new lattice mast to support the more modern radar and X gun replaced by the twin 4". The camouflage looks right too.
tim
timlewin

if any of you get round to reading "Tribal Warfare" please do leave a review on Amazon, or wherever as these make a big difference to sales. I need the sales to go on to the next book, I generally need to sell approx. 120 copies to cover all the costs so every edition counts!

What I would also add in case it strikes a chord, I would be happy to publish any private memoirs of forum relatives, long or short. Short memoirs I can bundle with others to make up a book-length.
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Posed shots of Ships Company on Tribal Class Destroyer HMS Ashanti carry 40mm pom pom ammunition from the magazine to the gun platform, Scapa Flow, late 1941.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

Tribal Class Destroyer HMS Maori pictured in 1939...She served with the Mediterranean Fleet during World War II until she was bombed and sunk by German aircraft while at Malta in 1942. Her wreck was later raised and scuttled outside the Grand Harbour. The wreck is now a dive site.
timlewin

I beleive some of her gunnery outfit was removed and re-employed in the island's defence?
Brian James

Tribal class Destroyer HMS Somali pictured in March 1942...On September 3rd 1939, Somali intercepted the German freighter Hannah Böge, 350 miles south of Iceland, and took her as a prize. This was the first enemy merchant ship to be captured during the war...On August 13th 1942, Somali rescued all 105 crew of the American cargo ship Almeria Lykes, which had been torpedoed by E boats while taking part in Operation Pedestal. The rescued crew were landed at Gibraltar.Lieutenant Commander Colin Maud took over as captain in September 1942 when her own captain, Jack Eaton, was ill. On September 20th 1942 Somali was torpedoed by U-703 while covering Convoy QP 14 during the Russian convoys. She was hit in her engine room, and although taken under tow by the Destroyer Ashanti, she sank on September 25th, after heavy weather broke her back. Of the 102 men on board, only 35 were rescued from the Arctic waters. Leading Seaman Goad of Ashanti was awarded the Albert Medal for 'great bravery in saving life at sea' after diving into the freezing water to save Lieutenant Commander Maud.Somali was the last Royal Navy Tribal Class Destroyer to be sunk during the war.
timlewin

Colin Maud presented "Lofty" Goad with a clock inscribed "Thanks Chum" which his family still have, and a framed print of Vermeer's Girl with the Pearl Earring to the Wardroom with a silver plate below inscribed "Jolly good show, tra-la tra-la, and many thanks to you all", with his signature and date, 24-September-1942; i dusted the picture a few hours ago, it hangs close to where i sit now. This is all part of the story of The Long Tow, I thought i posted it ages ago but happy to do it again if it was missed?
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Bring it on Tim , seems an age since we heard from you last ....
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”