Guided Missile Destroyers: Zumwalt Class

Add your posts about the US Navy in this section
Pelican

Re: Guided Missile Destroyers: Zumwalt Class

Unread post by Pelican »

Zumwalt Destroyer Will Control Unmanned Ships, Aircraft in Upcoming Fleet Battle Problem

The Navy will get a first glimpse of what future operations could look like, when a Zumwalt-class destroyer manages long-range surveillance and fires by manned and unmanned platforms in an upcoming exercise in the Pacific.

U.S. Pacific Fleet will host its most complex exercise to date involving unmanned systems, with next month’s Fleet Battle Problem exercise including unmanned aircraft on the water’s surface and in the air and USS Michael Monsoor (DDG-1001) commanding and controlling the missions.

As the Navy tries to convey the seriousness with which it plans to pursue a fleet overhaul to incorporate manned-unmanned teaming into almost everything the service does, this upcoming exercise will show off how far the sea service has come in technology and concept of operations (CONOPS) development and what work still remains.

Continues, including photos, at:
https://news.usni.org/2021/03/22/zumwal ... -YB-uqdXoc

[No doubt, like the R.N., they are far more advanced than disclosed.]
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well things seem to be on the move for both the USN and our RN David , lets hope it all pans out to plan ...
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:34 pm Well things seem to be on the move for both the USN and our RN David , lets hope it all pans out to plan ...
It had better if you check out what the Chinese are up to Ivor.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

my point entirely David , they dont throw that amount of money at requiring their navy without a predetermined plan
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Proposal: Turn the Ddg-1000 Zumwalt Destroyer into a Stealth Battleship

While the Zumwalt is indeed stealthier than most ships, it has many issues and does not have the weapon system it was supposed to come with.
Here's What You Need To Remember: In short, battleships remained multimission vessels throughout their service lives—even after technological progress relegated them to secondary status. The Zumwalt is one-dimensional by contrast. It remains unclear, however, how capable its advanced gun will prove against enemy surface fleets.
Continues at:
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboo ... hip-189243
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Rail Gun is Dead, Hypersonic Missiles Latest High Tech Weapon For Navy Ships

For more than a decade the Navy has labored to develop a workable rail gun, a futuristic weapon that fires projectiles at up to seven times the speed of sound using electricity. It failed.

The Washington Post quotes Matthew Caris, a defense analyst at Avascent Group, a consulting firm saying “The railgun is, for the moment, dead.”

All told, the Navy spent about $500 million on research and development, according to Bryan Clark, an analyst at the Hudson Institute. Now, the Navy has cut funding for railgun research from its latest budget proposal. The Defense Department is turning its attention to hypersonic missiles to keep up with China and Russia.

A railgun is a kinetic energy weapon that uses electricity instead of gunpowder, or jet or rocket engines, to accelerate a projectile at six or seven times the speed of sound. The problems with the rail gun, however, are that the range is limited to about 100 miles, and the gun’s lack of durability. The barrel on the railgun prototype had to be replaced after about a dozen or two dozen shots were fired. Hypersonic missiles, in comparison, have a range of up to 1,700 miles.

The Navy’s Zumwalt Class destroyers may be the first ships to deploy hypersonic weapons, with a target date of 2025.

Continues, with embedded links, at:
http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2021/07/the- ... more-57810
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Good News: The USS Zumwalt Can Stay Afloat in Rough Seas

See - https://www.popularmechanics.com/milita ... 5IMRGU_X1U
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ZUMWALT CLASS NOT FINISHED YET?

Navy wants to see big uptick in Zumwalt-class destroyer operations over the next year

WASHINGTON – 2022 will be a big year for the Zumwalt-class destroyer program, as first-in-class Zumwalt and sister ship Michael Monsoor continue finding their place in the fleet — and perhaps make a debut at a major naval exercise, the head of the surface navy told reporters July 22.

Vice Adm. Roy Kitchener, commander of Naval Surface Forces, said at the Pentagon that the surface fleet was already bringing in some new technology for high-end warfare and would see several significant additions in the coming years — most notably the Zumwalt DDGs fielding hypersonic missiles — and that his force was working hard already to pave the way for fleet introduction of all the new war-fighting assets.

Specifically on the DDG-1000s, he said Surface Development Squadron-1, or SURFDEVRON, had already done some work on the ship’s tactics, but over the next year the Navy needs to start “getting some employment out of that ship, getting it out on an exercise probably next year.”

Continues at - https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2021/ ... R6NVg8dF9g
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

Oh boy!! my tax $$$$$$$$ at work with the Zumwalts, not to mention the "transformational PO$ LC$s!! whooppeeeeee Pardon me if I'm NOT impre$$ed......... :x

No doubt those 2-30 mm weapons will make them fearsome combat vessels........ DFO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Last Zumwalt-class Destroyer Lyndon B. Johnson Leaves Bath Iron Works Bound for Mississippi

The third and final Zumwalt-class destroyer pulled away from the pier at General Dynamic Bath Iron Work, Maine, on Wednesday.

Lyndon B. Johnson (DDG-1002) departed the shipyard and is in the Atlantic after traveling down the Kennebec River after completing the first of a two-part delivery scheme for the Zumwalt-class.

Continues at - https://news.usni.org/2022/01/13/last-z ... 2j-9LFyGhs

Note links at the foot of the article to other ships of the class.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “United States Navy”