Guided Missile Destroyers: Zumwalt Class

Add your posts about the US Navy in this section
Brian James

Re: Guided Missile Destroyers: Zumwalt Class

Unread post by Brian James »

Zumwalt Class Destroyer USS Michael Monsoor pictured arriving at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, February 17th 2022.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Will Install Hypersonic Missiles Aboard Zumwalt Destroyers Without Removing Gun Mounts

There’s enough space and weight margin aboard the Zumwalt-class destroyers to install two tubes for hypersonic missiles without removing the ship’s 155mm gun mounts, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday told USNI News last month.

By 2025, the first 16,000-ton Zumwalt-class destroyer will have at least two sets of missile tubes inserted on the port and starboard sides of the ship without having to remove the guns mounts, he said.

“There’s plenty of room right now for those modules,” Gilday told USNI News during a visit to General Dynamics Electric Boat.

The trio of guided-missile destroyers will be the first Navy platforms to field the Conventional Prompt Strike weapons as part of the Zumwalts refocus as a blue-water strike platform.

“Zumwalt gave us an opportunity to get [hypersonics] out faster and to be honest with you I need a solid mission for Zumwalt,” Gilday said.

The weapon is the Common Hypersonic Glide Body (C-HGB) developed for the Army, Air Force and the Navy.

Continues at - https://news.usni.org/2022/03/14/navy-w ... QOT-7fe4_s
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Brian James

Zumwalt Class Guided Missile Destroyer USS Michael Mansoor about to initiate a RAS from Henry J Kaiser Class Replenishment Oiler USNS Pecos during RIMPAC 2022.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian James

The future Zumwalt Class Destroyer USS Lyndon B. Johnson pictured fitting out at Ingalls Shipbuilding at Pascagoula, Mississippi, August 4th 2022.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

US Navy Set To Deploy Hypersonic Missiles; Three Zumwalt Class Destroyers To Be Armed With Long-Range Mach 5+ Weapons — Reports

One of the most aspirational projects of the US Navy, the Zumwalt-class Destroyer, which has been marred with issues and cost overruns, is now set for a massive upgrade. The three destroyers of the class are set to be the first to be armed with Long-range hypersonic weapons.

Continues at - https://eurasiantimes.com/us-navy-hyper ... estroyers/
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Lockheed Martin and the US Navy will begin testing hypersonic missiles in 2024 on the USS Zumwalt

https://gagadget.com/en/weapons/218528- ... s-zumwalt/ - LFT

See also - viewtopic.php?t=2029&start=210 - on Feb 19th.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “United States Navy”