Guided Missile Destroyers: Zumwalt Class

Add your posts about the US Navy in this section
Pelican

Re: Guided Missile Destroyers: Zumwalt Class

Unread post by Pelican »

US Navy finally accepts delivery of the USS Zumwalt

See- https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/us-navy ... 7soHYjr8ok

* Jim the 4 of them are now apparently known as the Zumwalt Class so is it possible for the Subject of this thread to be changed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
jbryce1437

Unread post by jbryce1437 »

Pelican wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:12 pm
* Jim the 4 of them are now apparently known as the Zumwalt Class so is it possible for the Subject of this thread to be changed?
Title changed

Jim
HMS Raleigh 1963 , HMS Collingwood 1963 & 67 , HMS Ark Royal 1964-7, HMS Undaunted 1968-71, HMS Victory (Fleet Maintenance Group) 1971-72, HMS Exmouth 1972-74
JEM, EM, OEM, LOEM, POOEL
Then 28 years in the Fire Brigade
Retired since 2002
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

jbryce1437 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:11 pm
Pelican wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:12 pm
Title changed

Jim
Thank you Jim,BZ
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

U.S. Navy’s Zumwalt-Class Destroyers Enter The 2020s

In the years that the USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000) has sailed, critics, analysts, journalists, and the public have taken turns offering analysis, comments, rumors, and suggestions on how to make the colossal high-tech and innovative destroyers into functional fighting ships for the U.S. Navy.

NAVSEA answers some internet myths, rumors, and questions on the three high-tech stealthy guided missile destroyers: USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000), USS Michael Monsoor (DDG 1001) and the future USS Lyndon B. Johnson (DDG 1002).

In truth, many view the three Zumwalts as expensive U.S. Navy design failures since their two currently inactive 155mm Advanced Gun Systems (AGS) cannot fire shells to support the U.S. Marines storming a beachhead due to the high cost of each custom-made shell. With a lower VLS cell missile count compared to DDG 51 Arleigh Burke-class destroyers costing roughly half the price and having more weapons, sensors, and armament, pundits were quick to criticize the DDG 1000s’ layout and design. However, new options may be on the horizon if Hypersonic missiles are added to their arsenal.

Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA), the largest of the U.S. Navy’s five system commands, provided information via email in a June-July 2020 email exchange about the Zumwalt, stating that many of the online Zumwalt sources are not official U.S. Navy data and thus are now outdated or inaccurate.

Continues with DDG 1000 Zumwalt-class Overview at:
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... the-2020s/

Photo is of USSs Zumwalt and Michael Monsoor.

[Link provided by Tim]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

It looks as tho the Zumwalts will continue as test beds for Bertie Bassetts?

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2020/ ... sile-test/
Brian James

Unread post by Brian James »

Zumwalt Class Destroyer USS Michael Monsoor pictured arriving in San Francisco for the city's Virtual Fleet Week,October 2nd 2020.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Everything We Know About the USS Zumwalt Destroyers

The stealth revolution goes to sea.
One of the most ambitious warship classes in recent memory, the USS Zumwalt-class guided missile destroyers are also the most advanced. The three destroyers—Zumwalt, Monsoor, and Johnson—combine stealth, advanced sensors, a revolutionary propulsion system, and the ability to operate drones and helicopters into a deadly platform that could rule the seas.
Controversial in cost, armament, and purpose, the Zumwalts are now being repurposed by the U.S. Navy into assassins of the sea, killing enemy ships while staying hidden. Here's everything we know about them.

Continues, including photos and videos at:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/milita ... AGSdkG_ts8
designeraccd

Unread post by designeraccd »

IF only these 3 floating LUMP$ were as terrific as that BS article made them out to be. Reality is rather different, NO long range guns, because at a estimated $1 million or more per round........who could afford to fire them?

Missiles....uh carries significantly LESS than a BURKE, but in a FAR MORE EXPEN$IVE ship. Once again, like with the PO$ LC$s.........the Navy is now trying to figure out a mission they would be worthy of........$o to $peak.

The ED$EL....err FORD, POS LC$s and these: U$N is really racking up a score of less than optimal warships, to be very nice about it......... :x One might wonder how badly the U$N will fumble the new FFGs??? DFO
Brian James

Lead Ship, Destroyer USS Zumwalt prepares to enter San Diego harbor yesterday.
Brian James

Zumwalt Class Destroyer USS Michael Mansoor pictured on departing San Diego on March 11th 2021...USS Carl Vinson in the background.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “United States Navy”