RN Frigates: Type 31 Inspiration Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Frigates: Type 31

Unread post by Pelican »

TYPE 31 FRIGATE PROGRAMME REACHES A KEY MILESTONE
05 August 2020
The Type 31 frigate has reached a key milestone in its development after the completion of a comprehensive review of the ship’s design.

What is known as the Whole Ship Preliminary Design Review (WSPDR) was completed, virtually, by 15 experts during ten days of scrutiny, which provided a key indicator of the compliance, maturity and engineering risk in proceeding to the next Detailed Design phase.

This progress comes as Babcock announces the construction of a new assembly hall capable of housing two Type 31s at their Rosyth facility in Scotland.

Graeme Thomson, Babcock Type 31 Programme Director said: “Completing the Whole Ship PDR is a key milestone for the Type 31 programme and signals our move into Detailed Design.

“I’d like to thank all involved, a lot of hard work went into achieving this positive outcome. I look forward to the next stage in this exciting and challenging programme.”

On the new assembly hall, a Babcock update said: “Babcock’s Rosyth facility has seen significant investment in the last decade and is embarking on a new era of digitising facilities and systems to bring advancements and efficiencies into the manufacturing, build and assembly process for the frigates.”

This preliminary review was the culmination of a large number of small specific reviews that addressed the maturity of the individual systems that make up the Type 31.

The 15 experts reviewed the design and questioned the engineering team. Although this was a Team 31 milestone event, attendees and contributors also came from the Ministry of Defence.

Babcock’s report added: “The independent board were impressed with the rate of progress made since contract award in November 2019, and the level of technical maturity of the design.

“The engineering team in particular, and all contributors to the successful WSPDR, are to be commended for their efforts.”

[Another view of the assembly hall attached.]
Source R.N.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

All good stuff buf if the Poison Fish gets her way with Independnce will we bring shipbuilding back into the new UK ??

Babcocks had a good yard in the West Country [Appledore] which had been building warships for many years but put it on the scrapheap . I would have thought that yard could turn out the Type 26's . Use it or lose it comes to mind because once he skills have gone they have gone forever . If warships keep getting smaller we will see Ivor turning them out in his shed or on Karen's Dining Room Table :o :o :lol:
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

DaveH wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:38 am All good stuff buf if the Poison Fish gets her way with Independnce will we bring shipbuilding back into the new UK ??

Babcocks had a good yard in the West Country [Appledore] which had been building warships for many years but put it on the scrapheap . I would have thought that yard could turn out the Type 26's . Use it or lose it comes to mind because once he skills have gone they have gone forever . If warships keep getting smaller we will see Ivor turning them out in his shed or on Karen's Dining Room Table :o :o :lol:
All is not lost - yet - Chief:
https://afloat.ie/port-news/port-and-sh ... says-union
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
DaveH

Unread post by DaveH »

Thanks Daid ..... We live in hope remembering the days when Devonport built major ships for the Royal Navy .
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Nothing would give me greater pleasure Dave , but the RN might raise an eyebrow ;)

Totally agree with the sentiment expressed here thou .
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

GUNS CONTRACT FOR ROYAL NAVY TYPE 31 FRIGATES AWARDED TO BAE SYSTEMS
01 October 2020

THE Royal Navy’s new Type 31 frigates will carry multi-purpose gun systems following a contract award.

BAE Systems is to produce Bofors 40 Mk4 and Bofors 57 Mk3 naval guns for the general-purpose frigates.

The agreement, through a contract with Babcock International, will supply the Royal Navy with a set of gun systems for its fleet of five ships, with the first ship expected to go into service in 2027.

The contract includes five Bofors 57 Mk3 medium calibre guns and ten Bofors 40 Mk4 small calibre guns. Both close-in weapon systems are designed to protect the ships against modern and future complex threats.

BAE Systems’ scope of work for the Type 31 programme also includes services, tools, spares, documentation and support.

Both naval gun systems will be manufactured at BAE Systems’ facility in Karlskoga, Sweden, with deliveries expected to take place in 2023 and 2024.

The Bofors 57 Mk3 is used by eight nations, including Canada, Finland, Germany and Sweden, as well as the United States, where it is known as the Mk110 naval gun. The Bofors 40 Mk4 is the latest generation in the 40mm family, and with this contract, the Royal Navy will become its fifth operator.

Also see 3 images at:
https://www.facebook.com/savetheroyalna ... 9504728099
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

The Royal Navy’s Future Frigates – An Analysis

THE TYPE 26 FRIGATE
Commenced in 1998, under what was then known as the Future Surface Combatant (FSC) programme, by March 2010 this had developed to become the Global Combat Ship programme following the announcement of a four-year £127M design contract being awarded to BAE Systems. The Type 26 City class will feature some considerable improvements over the Type 23. Weighing 5,400 tons (8,000 tons at full load) the Type 26 is twice the tonnage of its predecessor and follows a pattern set by the RN of building ships of at least double the size and weight of those they succeed.

THE TYPE 31 FRIGATE
Announced as part of the 2015 SDSR, the Type 31 will comprise a class of five vessels, described as light frigates, replacing the cancelled Type 26 frigates. A contract for the ships was formally awarded to Babcock Group on 15 November 2019 for their Arrowhead 140 design. Based on the Danish Iver Huitfeldt class the Type 31 weighs 5,700 tonnes making them heavier than the Type 23, hence it is misleading to describe them as ‘light frigates’. Compared to the BAES 3,677 ton Leander design submitted in competition with the Arrowhead 140, the Babcock ship ensures greater growth potential for adding weapons and sensors in the future. Costing an average of £250M per vessel there is the possibility that more will be built and the RN’s surface fleet expanded.

The lengthy article containing images etc. is at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/the-roy ... CeR5ulUElg
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Britain gets a new frigate factory

As part of their successful bid to build 5 Type 31 frigates for the RN, Babcock is constructing a new module hall to assemble the ships at their Rosyth yard. Here we examine the new facility and the implications of this investment.

On 24th January 2020 planning permission was given for the development at the dockyard at Rosyth. The building will occupy land between the Syncrolift hall (opened in 1980 and used primarily for minehunter refits), and Number 1 Dry Dock where both QEC aircraft carriers were assembled. This area was previously used to fabricate and erect the 14 sponson blocks for each carrier that Rosyth contributed to the construction. A spokesperson for Babcock said this week: “Demolition work for the new module hall is now complete, with development of the new facility underway”.

The basic building design is relatively simple, a large hall where two Type 31 frigates can be assembled side by side. This will be an impressive structure measuring 160m in length, 60m wide and 40m high. A prefabricated steel-framed shed can be usually be constructed rapidly, once the foundations are in place. The main internal feature will be two rail-mounted gantry cranes each with two hooks able to provide lifting cover to the full internal floor area of the hall. The cranes will be used to lift the modules into position as the ships are assembled. Both the north and south facade of the building will have two vertical-lift ‘megadoors’. Each door is 24m wide by 30m high with a demountable column between, creating a 48m-wide opening. The building is designed with flexibility for future shipbuilding operations beyond the conclusion of Type 31 construction.

Continues at:
https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/britai ... e-factory/

Progress on the Type 31 Frigate programme continues with work starting on a new build hall, or ‘frigate factory’, capable of building two frigates at once.

Babcock’s Rosyth facility has seen significant investment in the last decade and is “embarking on a new era of digitising facilities and systems to bring advancements and efficiencies into the manufacturing, build and assembly process for the frigates”.
The firm say that this includes the installation of additional Advanced Manufacturing capability and the construction of a new assembly hall capable of housing two Type 31 frigates.

Continues at:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/new-fri ... x0XSROvbkY
ivorthediver

Unread post by ivorthediver »

Well on the assumption that we lay no claim to it and the Americans seem to have access to most of our defence data that narrows the fields down considerably .

Once looked at by the lads from the ministry ,I am dam sure its user will be known ........and I can't imagine what that they will just shrug It off , but be interested in what our Harry makes of it ;)
"What Ever Floats your Boat"
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

ivorthediver wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:09 pm Well on the assumption that we lay no claim to it and the Americans seem to have access to most of our defence data that narrows the fields down considerably .

Once looked at by the lads from the ministry ,I am dam sure its user will be known ........and I can't imagine what that they will just shrug It off , but be interested in what our Harry makes of it ;)
One of a new Type 31e's Wave Gliders washed up on a Scottish beach? :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”