RN Frigates: Type 31 Inspiration Class

Add your posts about Royal Navy ships in this section
Pelican

Re: RN Frigates: Type 31 Inspiration Class

Unread post by Pelican »

Keel laid for second Type 31 frigate – HMS Active

At a ceremony in Rosyth today, the keel was laid for HMS Active the second ship of the ‘inspiration class’. Here we provide a brief update on the project and present a short animation of the Type 31 in action.

HMS Active will be assembled in the shiphall adjacent to the first frigate, HMS Venturer. John Howie, Chief Corporate Affairs Officer, Babcock told Navy Lookout this week ship that progress is good, although as is to be expected, they are learning lessons from the first ship which will make the build of subsequent vessels more efficient. HMS Venturer will probably be put in the water during the first quarter of 2024 but that schedule could still be subject to change as they consider the balance between outfitting in the hall and what needs to be done after launch. In order to keep the programme on schedule and provide experience to their partners, Babcock has let a small subcontract for the construction of three double-bottom units for HMS Active to PGZ in Poland.

Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/keel-laid-f ... ms-active/

Keel laid on new frigate in Scotland

With the keel laying ceremony for Type 31 Frigate HMS Active underway, there are now multiple frigates being built in multiple shipyards around Scotland.
The first blocks of HMS Active, the second Type 31 Frigate, have been laid out beside HMS Venturer at the Rosyth ‘frigate factory’, showcasing the scale and potential of one of two planned frigate fabrication facilities in Scotland.
Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/keel-la ... jSnSgP-uL4
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Ministry of Defence seeking ammo for Type 31 Frigate guns

The Ministry of Defence (MOD) has published a Pre-Procurement Notice, signalling its intent to engage with the industry on 57mm and 40mm operational and training ammunition for the Type 31 Frigates.
This comes as part of the Type 31 Design & Build (D&B) Programme, which introduces new gun systems into service with the Royal Navy.

Continues at - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/ministr ... aXKcbaC6kA
HMS Pelican 1938 - 1958 GGCV L86 U86 F86 What I Have I Hold ~ A wonderful bird is the Pelican its beak can hold more than its belly can.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Work on new frigate shifts gears after Active’s keel is laid

[Extract - "All five Type 31s – named after ships whose deeds inspire, hence the class’ title – will replace five general-duties Type 23 frigates, while simultaneously the Type 26 City class under construction on the Clyde will take over from the dedicated submarine-hunting 23s."]

See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... el-is-laid
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

HMS Venturer RN progress at Babcock plc Rosyth with the team working towards structural completion within the build hall.

Second Type 31 frigate, HMS Active, is emerging alongside HMS Venturer, with the double bottom blocks in-situ and the first hull blocks under construction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

MOD awards £55m contract for Type 31 Frigate enhancements

The Ministry of Defence (MOD) has awarded a £55 million contract to Rosyth Royal Dockyard Ltd for the Capability Insertion Phase (CIP) of the Type 31 Frigate Programme, a significant step in advancing the Royal Navy’s operational capabilities.

As described in the contract award notice, “This contract is for the insertion, testing and enhancement of military capability of the Type 31 Frigate Programme.

This is known as the Capability Insertion Phase (CIP) and is standard across RN Fleet vessels new to Service.”

The CIP’s primary focus is to integrate advanced military capabilities into all five Royal Navy Type 31 Frigates during their transition into service.

The notice further specifies, “The work will include the provision of technical and management services that support the insertion of key military capability across all five [5] Royal Navy [RN] Type 31 Frigates as they transition into service.” This essential work is aimed at providing capabilities that extend beyond what was included in the initial vessel build phase.

Highlighting the importance of this phase, the notice states, “The CIP is essential to providing Royal Navy enhancements and will provide additional capability beyond that provided during the vessel build phase.”

It also clarifies the unique position of Rosyth Royal Dockyard: “The Company, as ship builder, is the only economic operator that can supply the Technical and Management Services with the necessary know how and technical information to fulfil this requirement.”

“Ships Acquisition, which is part of the UK Ministry of Defence (MOD) proposes to place a contract with Rosyth Royal Dockyard Ltd for the insertion, testing and enhancement of military capability, including the technical and management support services that contribute to the transitioning of the five [5] Type 31 Royal Navy Frigates into service.”

Source UKDJ
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Navy Lookout

Babcock plc awarded £55M Capability Insertion Phase (CIP) contract for Type 31 frigates.
No details provided but assume this includes fitting of Mk41 VLS and other equipment outside the original contract.
See - https://bidstats.uk/tenders/2023/W49/81 ... %20Service
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Work on HMS Active keel and lower blocks progressing Babcock plc Rosyth

See - https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/ ... 54/photo/1
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

In focus: the Bofors 40mm Mk 4 gun that will equip the Type 31 frigates

The Type 31 frigates will introduce two guns types new to Royal Navy service. In the first of two articles examining these weapons, we look at the Bofors 40mm Mk 4 gun.

Background
The RN has not had a 40mm gun in service since the Bofors 40mm L/60 Mark IX was phased out in the 1980s. The Bofors 40mm can trace its design back to the Second World War and its decedents are in still in service with many navies. The RN has standardised on the 30mm as its main small calibre gun but 40-mm weapons offer significantly longer ranges, increased lethal effect in anti-aircraft/missile and anti-surface engagements.

Bofors began work on the Mk4 in 2009 with the main goal being to incorporate fully digital modularised controls and reduce the size and weight of the existing Mk3 mounting to allow installation on a wider range of small patrol craft. Any reduction in top weight is also beneficial when selected for larger combatants. Improvements in accuracy and weight reduction has seen the 35 and 40mm naval gun sector become more crowded with weapons derived from armoured fighting vehicle guns. Offerings from other European manufacturers include the Thales/Nexter Rapid Fire CTA 40 (France), Lenardo Marlin 40 (Italy), Rheinmetall Millenium GDM-008 (Germany) and the Aselsan Gökdeniz (Turkey). The CTA 40 has been ordered for the British Army’s Warrior/Boxer and Ajax AFVs and some would see a missed opportunity for commonality across UK defence. Others might argue the RN is best avoiding any involvement with the Army’s catastrophic vehicle procurement projects. The Bofors Mk4 mount is cheaper than the CTA 40 and its notoriously expensive ammunition, likely the decisive factor for the budget-conscious Type 31.

BAE Systems (who now own the trusted Bofors brand) conducted 4 rounds of land-based testing of the Bofors 40mm Mk 4 prototype in 2011. For sea trials, the first mounting was fitted to the Swedish patrol boat HSwMS Jagaren which conducted live firings off Gothenburg in October 2012, initially firing about 60 rounds focussed on testing the feed mechanism and gyro stabilisation. The trials were a success and BAE Systems have been offering the Mk4 to navies worldwide. To date, around 50 mounts have been sold. In October 2020 the order for 10 mounts to equip the 5 Type 31 frigates was confirmed, making the Royal Navy the fifth operator in addition to the navies of Brazil, Finland, Belgium and the Netherlands. The contract with BAES/Bofors includes tools, spares, documentation and support with deliveries to the shipyard in Rosyth expected in 2023 and 2024. Although now owned by a British parent company, the gun and mounting are manufactured in Karlskoga, Sweden.

Continues at - https://www.navylookout.com/in-focus-th ... -frigates/
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Babcock plc confirms that first Type 31 frigate HMS Venturer will be launched in "first half of 2024".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pelican

Unread post by Pelican »

Type 31 "Inspiration class" frigate naming sequence
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Royal Navy”